Clindamycin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clindamycin

Had wisdom teeth pulled out Friday night.
    Was prescribed Clindamycin for any possible infections.
    He said there was no infection at the time but this was just in case.
    I've been reading about this stuff, it sounds like REALLY nasty stuff.
    I don't want to continue to take it after reading all the negatives about it.
    Anybody have any experience with this stuff?
    And thinking about it. Why would I take an antibiotic of I currently have no infections?

I have used it on my skin for acne. The cream. I believe there is a pill form or an oral gel. It's not your average antibiotic. Sounds irresponsible to prescribe an antibiotic if you don't have an infection. "Just in case" is just ridiculous IMO. I am also not a doctor. So, I can't tell you what to do. But, I've had my uppers and lowers of wisdom teeth pulled at different times and they just sent me home with some pain meds.

True Nutrition Discount: SRC745
    *2006 USAPL Washington State Powerlifting Championships- 1st, 14-16 age-148lb class -2nd Men's Open 148lb class
    •2x WABDL Worlds Runner Up - Teens 16-17 165lb
    *Former WABDL Teen 16-17 165lb World Record Bench Holder (Washington state record) of 396.6lbs

Comment

Originally posted by fireguy10720 View Post
      I've been reading about this stuff, it sounds like REALLY nasty stuff.
      I don't want to continue to take it after reading all the negatives about it.
      Anybody have any experience with this stuff?
      And thinking about it. Why would I take an antibiotic of I currently have no infections?
      What negatives have you concerned? Also, its not out of the ordinary for someone to receive ABs post tooth extraction. Were all 4 teeth pulled? were they impacted?

If you got the powdered C-mycin that needs reconstituting I hope you paid the extra 2 bucks at the pharmacy to get it flavored because I know it smells like stinky feet, cant speak to the taste but one can imagine.

Comment

THe Dr. knows more than you (Truly no offense intended). Take it. It's a preventative course because you have a GIANT OPEN WOUND in your mouth, which is FULL of bacteria. And if you get a jaw infection in that socket, it'll go RIGHT to the sensitive areas in your face. People have died from infections that started in eyebrow piercings and then went straight back to the brain.

I just had an arthroscopic surgery where all I had was two tiny incisions in my leg, and I had a preventative course, also. I took them, because if an infection did develop, the places it would go to in my knee would be VERY dangerous.
        Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
        kind of a douche

Comment

Along with what Sammich posted...

After having my wisdom teeth pulled as a teenager, and even after taking all the antibiotics associated I still was given the gift of an abscessed tooth. My god let me tell you that you have no idea of pain until you experience one of those. lol even now I can think of the most hardcore thing I've done and the pain doesn't stand a candle.

The antibiotic's are a necessary evil, and your gut doesn't blame you.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffro View Post
            What negatives have you concerned? Also, its not out of the ordinary for someone to receive ABs post tooth extraction. Were all 4 teeth pulled? were they impacted?

If you got the powdered C-mycin that needs reconstituting I hope you paid the extra 2 bucks at the pharmacy to get it flavored because I know it smells like stinky feet, cant speak to the taste but one can imagine.

Had 1 impacted tooth pulled.
            The sides of severe diarrhea and colitis and the major ones that worry me.
            A lot of people say they've developed colitis months after from its use

Comment

Thanks fellas.
              I'm going to continue on them.
              just the list of sides had me freaking.
              Would I be doing any good to take a probiotic along with these?
              If so how is it best to take the probiotic.

Thanks

Comment

Had 1 impacted tooth pulled.
                The sides of severe diarrhea and colitis and the major ones that worry me.
                A lot of people say they've developed colitis months after from its use
                ABs cause the squirts because they kill the normal flora in your gut along with any bacteria that are making you sick...... or in your case trying to prevent you from getting dry socket or some other bacterial infection.

Comment

Gotta back up Sammich and the boys. I prescribe Clindamycin often for various things. All antiobiotics have side effects (diarrhea and vomting being most common) but ive had others get cramps and an almost metallic taste in their mouth toward bed time.

Risking an infection by not taking it is my concern...ride out the side effects. People that develop colitis typically have used the drug long term and it has destroyed normal gut flora. Bacteria feed off sugar (keep this in mind).

Comment

Thanks all.
                    Just never had to take AB'S much before and reading the sides freaked me out.
                    Definitely don't want an infection.
                    Can probiotics help against the diarrhea or no?

Comment

Yes and NO...priobiotics HELP with gut flora but keep in mind antibiotics are designed to destroy bacterial growth, so to be honest, until your done with the run of antibiotics, just accept the fact that things like diarrhea may happen. Short term vs long term thinking my man

TO BE HONEST, I think overstressing about the side effects may cause more of an issue tha the actual drugs themsleves. You may find that you get somewhat acidic, and Zantac is great to combat this. Once a day, before bed.

Comment

Thanks all.
                        Just never had to take AB'S much before and reading the sides freaked me out.
                        Definitely don't want an infection.
                        Can probiotics help against the diarrhea or no?
                        They won't help if it develops, no, but they will help after you're done taking it. But you don't even have to go that far: Just get a couple cups of yogurt with active cultures in them. I do that every time I get done with a course of antibiotics to help replenish stuff.

But in all reality, unless you're taking a pretty powerful antibiotic, or taking one for a long course (well over a week), it's pretty unlikely you'll suffer from any side effects.

When a drug lists side effects, they do it because they are required by law to list ALL side effects that happened to their test group that happened above a certain frequency. That frequency can be pretty low. For example, let's say during a test of the drug "Sammoxolin" the control group had 2% incidence of violently exploding penis, and the test group had a 12% incidence of violently exploding penis. Then even though only 12% of the people taking the Sammoxolin got this side effect, they are required by law to say in all warnings "Sammoxolin may cause violently exploding penis." But if you take it, there's only like a 10% chance you'll have that side, so you probably won't even get it.
                        Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
                        kind of a douche

Comment

" For example, let's say during a test of the drug "Sammoxolin" the control group had 2% incidence of violently exploding penis, and the test group had a 12% incidence of violently exploding penis. Then even though only 12% of the people taking the Sammoxolin got this side effect, they are required by law to say in all warnings "Sammoxolin may cause violently exploding penis." But if you take it, there's only like a 10% chance you'll have that side, so you probably won't even get it.[/QUOTE]

I love it! !

Makes perfect sense to me

Comment

Mrs. Skip saw a violently exploding .... Oh, forget it.

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
                            Instagram: @intensemuscle
                            YouTube: TEAMSKIP
                            TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Originally posted by Ken "Skip" Hill View Post
                              Mrs. Skip saw a violently exploding .... Oh, forget it.

Skip

Lucky!!

Comment

Working...
                              X