Featured Member - 53greystreet!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Featured Member - 53greystreet!!

Our Featured Member for the month of June is 53greystreet. Thanks so much, Bob, for taking the time to answer thequestions and letting us get to know you better. I hope everyone enjoys the interview.

1. What is your name? Any nicknames?

Bob

2. Where do you live?

Peoria, AZ, temporarily in New Haven, CT

3. What do you do for a living or what are you studying?

Personal Trainer, Programming for Powerlifters, Box loader at UPS

Studying for CEP 1, 2, and 3 (Certified Equity Professional), I used to clear restricted stock for a Brokerage firm

Ongoing study of Training- currently the Special Strengths Training by Yuri Verkoshanksy

4. Are you in a relationship? Do you have any kids?

Separated, and yes, 2 daughters

5. Did you play sports in high school or college? Which one(s)?

High school football and golf

6. Have you ever competed in BBing, PL'ing, strongman? Competition highlights?

I have been competing in Powerlifting for 13 years. My highlights are 755 squat, 501 bench, and 562 deadlift, all in multi ply gear. Coaching my team members to PR's in meets year after year and Elite totals are the true highlights. The feeling I get when one of my lifters smashes a PR is hard to put into words. Being at the first Powerstation Pro/Am was a special weekend. Shawn Frankl hit 2400 at 198, shattering the previous record. Sam Byrd squatted 1050 at 198 like a Boss. Chuck Vogelpohl hit an 1100 squat like it was 135. Greg Panora hit a ridiculous total at 242, somewhere in the 2600 range, it is so awesome to see him doing well again. I was also lucky enough to hang out with Jim Wendler, John Bott, Amy Weisberger, Bob Youngs, and Jason Pegg all weekend. I bombed at the meet and it was still one of the best weekends of my life. 2 years later at the Pro/Am getting to see Frankl hit 2600 at 198 was again insanely awesome. Getting to see Chuck lift again was also a treat as it was getting to watch Laura Phelps lift. Watching Chuck on video versus in person are 2 different things. In person you can literally feel the intensity as he approaches the bar. I am very grateful for getting to see him compete a few times. Being at the first 4 Women's Pro/Ams at Supertraining was very special as well. These meets helped bring so many women into our sport and what Cara Westin, Mark Bell, and all of Supertraining did and continue to do is amazing.

7. What motivated you to start lifting? How old were you?

My mother was sick of me coming home from school and sleeping every day so she bought me a gym membership. We had no money at all so there was zero chance I would have this money wasted and started biking to the gym 6 days per week. I was 16

8. How would you describe your current training protocol?

Current training would be Block Sequencing or Block Periodization. Leading up to a meet we have an Accumulation phase, a Transmutation phase and a Realization phase. During Accumulation blocks I also use methods such as Jim Wendlers 5/3/1 as well as Dynamic Effort work.

9. What advice do you wish you would have received (and taken) when you started training?

To eat and eat more to get as big as I could

10. What goals are you working to achieve this year inside and outside of the gym?

To move back to AZ and get my gym up and running again

11. Do you have any special skills or hobbies?

My recall ability, cooking and coaching people. I can recall a fairly large amount of information, a lot of it is useless but somehow it is all up there. I can walk into just about any situation and pull out a Seinfeld line that fits. I am also pretty freaky with Area Codes and Powerlifting numbers. Now I am not quite at the level with numbers as Rick Hussey was or Louie Simmons is but I constantly strive to be as good as them with the numbers. I have witnessed both of them in person with numbers and it is wicked impressive. I am also excellent at coaching people and programming for them. Not everyone can be coached the same way. I can either talk someone off the ledge or push them to it depending on what is called for in a given situation. Along the same lines not everyone responds the exact same way to training. Some of my lifters can handle a lot more volume than others. We may all follow the same principles of training but the cookie cutter method is highly inefficient and I customize every program for the individual. Part of coaching is also breaking down technique, I will not sit there being a cheerleader saying "good" if the technique is subpar in anyway. I will explain to the lifter exactly what they are doing wrong and how to fix it. This by itself calls for another skill as you cannot simply say "that sucked" to everyone as some do not respond to that type of criticism. Some need extremely harsh critique and some are opposite. Finding out how different people respond differently to critique took me a few years to learn and I am still trying to improve at it. I can also cook, when people ask me what I can cook I simply say "name it". Hobbies would be Powerlifting

12. What kind of music will be on when you get into the car?

A wide variety as I love a lot of different types of music

Dave Matthews Band
    Staind
    Pearl Jam
    Phish
    Alice in Chains
    Motley Crue
    Metallica
    Bob Dylan
    Limp Bizkit
    Sevendust
    HellYeah
    Breaking Benjamin
    Sixx:AM
    Pink Floyd
    Amon Amarth
    Arsis
    Killswitch Engage
    Chimaira
    Pantera
    Jimi Hendrix
    Disturbed
    Guns N Roses

13. What famous person would you like to have dinner with?

Nikki Sixx or Larry David

14. What is the ONE thing you always get when you go grocery shopping?

Pepsi Max

15. What does a typical day of eating look like for you?

Protein Shake and Poptart
    Carb/Protein shake during training
    Chicken cutlet sandwich or similar
    Steak and rice/pasta, then ice cream

First two meals are small, second two are massive, dinner will be between 2000-3000 calories alone. I actually like eating smaller meals more frequently throughout the day, and enjoy cooking these meals but this always turns into doing dishes for 1-2 hours per night and after a month or so I get fed up with that part.

16. How often are you late for work or school?

Not

17. Have you ever had two dates in one night?

Negative

18. What is one thing you could tell us about yourself that we would be shocked to know?

The one truly shocking thing is not something I can share online. My apologies

A minor shock may be that at 37 years old I still play video games like Mario Kart and Super Smash Brothers

19. Have you had any major injuries? If yes, how did you deal with it?

Bulging and degenerating L5 disc

Necrosis in right hip

Plantar Fasciitis, not really major as it seems pretty common, but at times can be extremely painful and limiting, this is the reason I can no longer sprint properly. Coaching 5-6 lifters in a meet all day also leads to a lot of limping the next few days

Dealing with these for the past 15 years has taught me a lot. I have learned a lot about the human body and how it works. I have also learned how to push through pain as all competitors have at some point in their career. In the beginning I did lots of physical therapy exercises as my back was beyond weak. I still do some of these. The main course of treatment these days is chiropractic care and ART. I have to get these done every 1-2 weeks in order to keep training. I have received epidural injections as well, which work but very short term for me, maybe 2 days.

20. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you live?

I love it in Arizona (Phoenix Area). The only other place I could see myself living is San Diego

21. How many drinks does it take before you get drunk?

Too many, I do not really drink anymore (maybe 2x per year) but somehow my tolerance from my youth has stuck with me. I can still put down a 750ml bottle of Whiskey in a night

22. Do you have any tattoos or piercings?

No. Thinking about getting my gym/team logo on my calf area as my oldest daughter has gotten into the ink

23. Do you train with a partner or by yourself?

In AZ I train with my powerlifting team. Here in CT I have been training solo and looking for training partners, which I just found and hope to link up with them this week.

24. What is your favorite lift?

Squat

25. What is your strongest lift?

Squat

26. What is your relationship with cardio? (dating, married, it's complicated, HIIT, fasted, etc)

I much prefer HIIT but am very limited by my body these days. Hill Sprints rule but I can no longer sprint on my toes so it really turns into a Hill Hobble. I do not enjoy the steady state stuff and usually avoid it. However the resting heart rate gets too high sometimes and I recently added it back in

27. Most embarrassing moment?

Calling one of my lifters up on a Squat attempt when they were ¼ inch high. I had nightmares for months

28. If you could have any one superpower, what would it be?

Reading and controlling minds like Prof. Xavier in X-Men

29. What motivates you in life?

Although I am in chronic pain 24 hours a day, I am very grateful that I am able to walk into a gym and train. Training is a privilege. I also love to prove people wrong. If someone tells me I can't do something, I will not rest until the task is complete. I do this for myself internally, not to seek approval from said other person.

30. What personality traits do you look for in a partner?

Honesty and Non judgmental

31. If you died today, would your affairs be in order?

No

32. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?

Shorter femurs for better Squat leverage

33. Last book you read?

This is Gonna Hurt by Nikki Sixx

34. If time and money were not an issue, what would you do with your life?

I would run a gym and coach people. I would have my youngest daughter working with me in the gym and my oldest daughter would be next door running her Cosmetology Salon

35. Why do you come to IntenseMuscle.com everyday?

The people and wide variety of content. And the level of expertise in regards to said content is wicked high. Intense Muscle is not your average message board where there are a few good people and a ton of internet geeks who simply like to cause trouble and in most cases do not even train. In my experience everyone on IM is respectful, helpful and very supportive, even with differing ideas.
    2014 Greater Gulf States 2nd WPD Class B
    2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW
    2009 Houston Pro/Am 1st LHW & Overall (Am)
    2008 Jr. Nationals 5th LHW
    2007 Greater Gulf States 1st LHW
    2007 LA Championships 1st LHW & Overall

Great interview!!!!

J
    "No man ever won a war by dieing for his county. He did it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his."

George Patton

Get your Protein where the real men get theirs, TrueProtein.com

5% off with Dicount code JNR490, and 10% off orders over 10 lbs!!!

Comment

Sweet!
      #docswholift
      PGY-1 FM
      "No idea is above scrutiny and no people are beneath dignity." -Maajid Nawaz

Comment

Good stuff. That diet sounds really nice right now

I got a good laugh out of the shorter femur comment. Spoken like a true squatter.

True Nutrition Discount: SRC745
        *2006 USAPL Washington State Powerlifting Championships- 1st, 14-16 age-148lb class -2nd Men's Open 148lb class
        •2x WABDL Worlds Runner Up - Teens 16-17 165lb
        *Former WABDL Teen 16-17 165lb World Record Bench Holder (Washington state record) of 396.6lbs

Comment

A genuinely good dude you are Bob. The east valley has plenty of room for you out here when you move back
          IG - smadayjr
          YouTube -https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCWxyEfQCp1TVn6C7XO-lQ6g

Comment

Your alcohol tolerance is impressive.

Did you want to have dinner with Nikki Sixx before or after reading his book?
            2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW

Comment

Can you explain Transmutation phase?
              2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW

Comment

Thank you for the kind words

Collabera, glad you enjoyed, I got a good chuckle myself, hahaha. Almost every sport out there rewards height, it is nice to have powerlifting to do the opposite. I am by no means tall at 5'11 but my femurs/upper legs are very long

Uncxrt, I will be happy to be back in the Phoenix area regardless of what part of town, that is for sure

Dominique, excellent question about Nikki Sixx. I have been a Motley Crue fan since I was a little kid so I have always liked the band and the respective members. Having dinner with Nikki, Tommy, Mick or Vince at any point in my life would have been way cool. With that said, what shot Nikki Sixx up to the number 1 slot on my dinner invite was exactly as you mentioned, his books. I have read both of his books, The Heroin Diaries and This is Gonna hurt. They are both absolutely fantastic

Transmutation Phase- This block of training is the most taxing but also the most fun. (who doesn't like doing 8 heavy working sets of squats) With the Block Sequencing method each block builds to the next so the Trans Phase does not work unless the prior Accumulation Phase was done and done properly. The Trans Phase takes the basic abilities that were worked in the Accum Phase and works them into more specialized abilities. In the case of powerlifting, this means the competition lifts. The key exercises in the Trans Phase are connected to the competition lifts. So now the focus has switched from working many general abilities to the sport specific abilities and technique. The Accum Phase has very high volume with reduced intensity. The Trans Phase increases the intensity and only slightly reduces the volume. In the Accum Phase we have full recovery for adaptation purposes. Full recovery in the Trans Phase is not going to happen as a very high amount of work is done in a relatively short time period. Feeling wiped out at the end of the Trans Phase is normal and what is supposed to happen. The last block of Realization Phase allows for full restoration prior to the contest.

Lets take a look at what a raw squat session might look like during this Phase-
                4-5 sets of 2 on the squat, somewhere in the 85% range
                3-4 sets of 3-5 reps on the pause squat, somewhere around 80% of the weight that was used for the regular squats

Then we will finish with some GHR and Ab work. When leading into a contest we run the Trans Phase for 4 weeks, then have an unload week before the final phase. Leading up to the last 14 weeks prior to a meet we will also run shorter Trans Phases, usually running 2 weeks

I hope my typing here made some sense, hahaha. If you or anyone else has any questions, please do not hesitate to ask
                "You need never feel broken again"

Comment

Love your detailed answers! Great interview~
                  "This is your life. It is the only one you get. So no excuses, and no do-overs. If you make a mistake or fail at something you learn from it, you get over it and you move on. Your job is to be the very best person you can be and to never settle for anything less."
                  ~ Ann Richards, former TX governor

Comment

Thanks for the detailed answer! It makes sense, and sounds brutal.

I flipped thru This is Gonna Hurt at a book store one day, but didn't purchase. My interest is piqued though.
                    2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW

Comment

Here's a link to 53greystreet's YouTube page:

https://www.youtube.com/user/53greystreet
                      2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW

Comment

Originally posted by Jen View Post
                        Love your detailed answers! Great interview~
                        Thank you Jen, I hope all is well

Dominique, thank you for posting the youtubes page, the oldest video on there is some good comedy

This is Gonna Hurt is great and also can fit a wide variety of readers. If you have any questions about it, please pm or email me
                        "You need never feel broken again"

Comment

Originally posted by 53greystreet View Post
                          Leading up to the last 14 weeks prior to a meet we will also run shorter Trans Phases, usually running 2 weeks
                          Is the Block Sequencing method something powerlifters use all year long, sometimes for years?

You mention using 5/3/1 during Accum Phase. I have limited knowledge in your world of powerlifting, but did briefly run 5/3/1. Does the Accum Phase allow for 5/3/1 to be run "as written" or is it a matter of you being advanced and know how to pull out parts of that system and apply it to the goals of the Accum Phase?
                          2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW

Comment

Regarding the meal thing... have you heard of this little contraption called a dishwasher? LOL

Just busting you...cool interview! You seem like an awesome coach to work with. You can truly tell your are passionate about what you do and those you work with.
                            Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
                            2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
                            2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Interesting interview. I was a huge Motley Crue fan growing up. I wanted to name my first kid Tommy Lee G**** haha. An evening out with Nikki would awesome. Just sitting and talking to the brains of Motley would be amazing. Have you seen their farewell tour?
                              2014 KC All Star Championships 5th novice mw
                              2015 KC All Star Championships 3rd open mw, 3rd masters 40+
                              2016 Branch Warren 1st masters 40+, 3rd open mw

Comment

Working...
                              X