Increasing Sit-Ups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Increasing Sit-Ups

I have a Pt test at the beginning of August (police) and need help increasing the number of Sit-Ups I can do in one minute.

Right now I am just doing small sets throughout the day. Does anyone have any ideas how to increase the number I can do as rapidly as possible?

Thanks.

How do you have to hold your feet?

I used to do tons of incline situps and planks to help increase my situps. How. Many do you need to do and whats the time limit?

J
    "No man ever won a war by dieing for his county. He did it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his."

George Patton

Get your Protein where the real men get theirs, TrueProtein.com

5% off with Dicount code JNR490, and 10% off orders over 10 lbs!!!

Comment

Feet are held by someone else. Hands behind the head with fingers completely interlocked. Elbows have to touch the knees.

I am at roughly 30 when I'm not sore, I've been working them a lot lately. The minimum is 40 in a minute.

Ive tried to incorporate leg raises and flutter kicks along with the sit-ups.

Comment

Ok no problem.

Incline situps (high angle) with weight being held in your hands such as a 25/45 lb plate. Knock out as many as you can before muscle failure. Rest one minute, do it again. Rest another minute, then a last set with no weight to failure.

It's what the Army was teaching to those who failed the APFT push up event when I left a few years ago. There may be much better ways to go, but this is what I know. You can also do 'lean with it, rock with it' situps.

J
        "No man ever won a war by dieing for his county. He did it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his."

George Patton

Comment

When I was in the military I would do them to failure for 3 sets. I paid the most attention to the first set and did everything I could to progress by at least 1 situp each time. I trained them eod. Godsmack's plate idea sounds like a good plan as well. Technique helps a ton too. Find out what an acceptable sit up is and don't do more work than necessary to get a countable sit up. We had to just touch our shoulder blades to the floor and elbows to our mid thigh.
          2014 KC All Star Championships 5th novice mw
          2015 KC All Star Championships 3rd open mw, 3rd masters 40+
          2016 Branch Warren 1st masters 40+, 3rd open mw

Comment

http://youtu.be/wiGABFRrcak

This is one other thing we did, except we did them slower, and not just 9 to 3 but 9 to 12 to 3 with 10 seconds between each stopping area. Usually using 6 2.5 or 5 lb plates to start, and one full cycle was one rep. Three reps per set and 5 sets was the goal (I usually tapped out at 2 sets).

J

George Patton

Comment

Ok, I have been trying to work in the above exercises, and thanks for the ideas.

I have a few more questions:

1. I get stuck at the top half of the sit up. What can I do to work/build that weak point?

2. What is the opinion on working abs everyday vs every other? I have to test aug 10th and need to get as many as possible by then but don't want to "overtrain" as much as I hate to use that term.

Thanks again for all the info!

Comment

Working...
              X