Gym related venting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gym related venting

Just needing to get this off my chest. If my gripes are unfounded, please say so. I am all ears.

Back in March i joined my local LA Fitness. As cash was tight at the moment, I signed up for the 'discounted' one stop only membership level. Since March I have noticed shit going down hill at the club, and I have just not been generally entralled with my experience. The lack of a truly vertical smith machine (ours is 5*), power rack, and T-bar row has become a minor gripe. Add in the rusting machines with older bands/cables, God awful locker rooms that have had at least one small flood, failing pads for the squat bars/smith machines, dipshit employees, and weight room being taken up by cardio when they have a full cardio room down stairs, and its beginning to get me to want to bite the bullet and spend the extra 100 to go up the street a few miles to the brand new location.

Now don't get me wrong at 35 a month I guess I cannot expect tons, but I do expect things to be kept up to date. Things brought to the club managers attention to be handeled ASAP (one employee was handled the next day to their credit), and for some pride to be taken in the business.

Perhaps using the Military gyms for so long (when I went) made me 'spoiled' to a point.

J
    "No man ever won a war by dieing for his county. He did it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his."

George Patton

Get your Protein where the real men get theirs, TrueProtein.com

5% off with Dicount code JNR490, and 10% off orders over 10 lbs!!!

Did you tour the facility prior to signing up for the membership?
    Heckman aka "WISE" OLD MAN

Comment

Yes I did. I did not do a thorough look over all the equipment (which is on me) and at the time nothing had an 'out of order' tag on it.

J
      "No man ever won a war by dieing for his county. He did it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his."

George Patton

Comment

Originally posted by Godsmack View Post
        Yes I did. I did not do a thorough look over all the equipment (which is on me) and at the time nothing had an 'out of order' tag on it.

J
        So much for that theory....

Comment

I am not sure, but it seems owning a gym is not a lucrative business. My gym has no down payment and the membership is $9 per month. So if they have 1000 members that means they bring in 9k per month. Double it to 2000 and now we are up to 18k, Lets go as high as 5k members (that's a lot). 45k per month coming in. Now factor the overhead of renting a facility the size of a (small) grocery store. Then you have to pay your employees (huge expense). Most gyms rent their equipment as buying 40 treadmills, 40 stationary bikes, hammer equipment, free weights etc would break them. Also there are franchise costs, insurance, advertising etc. On top of all that the owner wants a profit. I have seen so many gyms go in and out of business that I wonder if owning a gym is just a big money pit. Honestly, I would rather pay 50 bucks per month and have nice, functioning equipment and piece of mind knowing the gym will still be there tomorrow.
          Family Guy but also; Old School SoCal, punk rock loving, powerlifting, hardcore gym rat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtLQ73EutoY

Comment

Very good points Swam. I believe it could be if things were handled properly, and with the right location.

Don't get me wrong other little shit like trainers mot teaching their clients to actually wipe down their equipment when they finish. As well as children who block the dumbell rack and then proceed to throw down (literally) their dumbells after a few curls and then proceed to go even heavier are a huge annoyance. These two things are everywhere though, and thats not gonna change.

J

George Patton

Comment

Sounds like you are just at a bad location. Most LA fitness that I have been to, in my area, are kept up pretty well.

Comment

Originally posted by Heckman View Post
                So much for that theory....

Which theory? The ol' "oh its a great place. Just sign here." Aka the used car salesmen Gimmick?

J

George Patton

Comment

The top 2 businesses that fail are bars and gyms.

If you know the gym business or know the bar business you won't fail. You just have to know your shit.

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
                  Instagram: @intensemuscle
                  YouTube: TEAMSKIP
                  TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

My powerhouse is $10 a month and sounds way better than this place. My only issue is how hesitant they are about turning on the A/C.

I DON'T wipe down the equipment when I'm done. Just wipe it off before using it so you don't have to worry about others. This method is much simpler than trying to police members.

If somebody leaves weight on the equipment, I just drop them on the floor and leave the pile of weights laying there. Less stressful than having to clean up after others.
                    PBRevolution
                    Light-heavyweight Member
                    Last edited by PBRevolution; 05-09-2015, 07:51 PM.
                    My log: http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=47064

Comment

Originally posted by PBRevolution View Post
                      My powerhouse is $10 a month and sounds way better than this place. My only issue is how hesitant they are about turning on the A/C.

I DON'T wipe down the equipment when I'm done. Just wipe it off before using it so you don't have to worry about others. This method is much simpler than trying to police members.

If somebody leaves weight on the equipment, I just drop them on the floor and leave the pile of weights laying there. Less stressful than having to clean up after others.
                      Good point on the 'pre-wipe' idea. It does at least protect YOU, which is a damn good idea. Seems like some people can't be bothered to clean the equipment either time.

I can't just drop shit on the floor and leave it. It is ingrained in me to leave a place better than I found it.

J

George Patton

Comment

Originally posted by Ken "Skip" Hill View Post
                        The top 2 businesses that fail are bars and gyms.

If you know the gym business or know the bar business you won't fail. You just have to know your shit.

Skip
                        While I suck as a bartender, I know the operations, marketing, and sales aspect of a bar or resturant like the back of my hand. I was surrounded by that industry since I was a kid.

J

George Patton

Comment

Originally posted by Godsmack View Post
                          Which theory? The ol' "oh its a great place. Just sign here." Aka the used car salesmen Gimmick?

J
                          Yeah, pretty much...some gyms its amazing how cordial the staff is when you first walk in, then once they have your money everything turns to shit....lol

Comment

Originally posted by Heckman View Post
                            Yeah, pretty much...some gyms its amazing how cordial the staff is when you first walk in, then once they have your money everything turns to shit....lol
                            Minus one (who was a janitor there before he was fired) everyone there has been nothing but polite. When brought 'issues' they make nicely worded excuses. Hell some hand out 'free three day passes' for people to pass out (with their name on the back) like they are going out of style.

J

George Patton

Comment

My rant is a little different. I have a nice little set up in the back of my office building. It's fully stocked with a bunch of EliteFTS equipment.

We've had just under a foot of rain here in the last 7 days. I know some of you live in places where a foot of rain in a week's time is a bit of a yawner.

I live in a very arid region of Texas (called the Panhandle). Arid might be a bit of an over statement. We haven't had appreciable rainfall in almost 5 years. The summers here are relentlessly hot and relentlessly dry.

All that to say that the 12" that fell last week has exposed glaring holes - literally - to my 50 year-old flat-roofed office building.

My gym is sitting in a couple of inches of water. About half of the ceiling tiles became water-logged and dissolved. Dissolved is a bad description. It's like they melted and fell like giants wads of bird shit all over my new EliteFTS equipment, the weights, a couple of machines, and whatever didn't land on something is now floating like bird shit soup on the 2 inches of water on the floor.

$25K minimum to redo the roof. And guess how much my insurance is going to pay? Nothing.

Comment

Working...
                              X