Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unrealistic Goals

Do you ever get people this dumb?

I am a bigger guy but I have grey hair and my oldest child has his license so I have been at it a while.

In any case a young guy from work is does a shift with me. I have seen him around but don't really know him. we get a few hours in and he asks about training. He is tall and very thin and says he has been training a few years and can't put on size. States he would love to put on 5kg.

Immediately you know this is not going to end too well but I say I will help him out. I ask what he has been doing....the usual... Chest Monday, Back Wednesday, Legs never and arms every day. Never done a squat, deadlift, bent over row etc.

I ask what he has been eating and he looks at me like the only answer is food.

I have encountered this enough times to have a PFD already done up which is titled "The basics of growth". File downloaded and off he go's keen as.

1 week later he sees me and he looks sort of pissed. He comes over and says "I've been training like you said", I say good.

He says "my legs hurt from the squats", I say good.

He says " I didn't put on 5kg though" I burst out laughing the hardest I have in years.

He says "I only put on 2kg", I say I don't worry that is just water your leg muscle is holding from being worked, you probably only put on 10 grams of actual muscle.

He storms off.

This is not my only experience like this regarding wanting results fast but this was just so unbelievable.

10 years ago I never saw this but now......Anyone else getting this?
    "Be gentle in what you do, firm in how you do it."
    Buck Brannaman.

"It is the certainty of punishment that deters crime, not the severity of it."
    'Hanging' Judge PARKER

"Nothing is so powerful as an insight into human nature... what compulsions drive a man, what instincts dominate his action... if you know these things about a man you can touch him at the core of his being."
    ~William Bernbach

Unrealistic Goals

I think it's a generational thing. And I also think that instant gratification is typical of our times. Everyone wants what they want NOW. They don't want to work for it.

If one goes on Instagram, one sees "transformations" but no one sees the work that might've gone into it. Also, no one sees the filters that people are using to highlight their progress. But that's another conversation.

I am in publishing, and I see kids come in straight out of college and act like they're too good to do the menial tasks that we all had to do when we were starting out. Yes, you do have to go make photocopies. Also, you need to walk that laptop across campus if I ask you (nicely, of course) to do that. Deal with it.

I actually had a creative director tell me that she didn't want to tell a design intern to make the changes I wanted. Because and I quote: "she's not going to want to make those changes." HUH? WUT? She's barely out of diapers. This is her first internship. She doesn't get to have an opinion.
    Kristine
    Last edited by Kristine; 05-06-2015, 09:23 PM.

Comment

I run across college kids about once per week that are on steroid cycles, and they look like they have never worked out in their life.
      My intro thread: http://intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=49855

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJXejD_FEXs

Comment

Working as both a trainer and a GNC employee I see these things a lot. Mostly with fat loss customers/clients. I explain all the time that you didn't put on the bodyfat in a week so why would you expect to lose it all in a week? Then I explain it takes longer to lose it than it does to gain it. The look on these people's faces is as if I know nothing about diet and exercise.

This is 1 out of 10 customers/clients that I deal with. It's instant gratification, entitlement, and pride.

Obviously this is not everyone. But there seems to be more of them than there used to be. I think people act this way(upset and angry) because they are scared, insecure, and just plain unhappy with their life and their body. Sometimes we need to put ourselves in their shoes and understand why they act the way they act. It's no excuse, but it's all they know.

True Nutrition Discount: SRC745
          *2006 USAPL Washington State Powerlifting Championships- 1st, 14-16 age-148lb class -2nd Men's Open 148lb class
          •2x WABDL Worlds Runner Up - Teens 16-17 165lb
          *Former WABDL Teen 16-17 165lb World Record Bench Holder (Washington state record) of 396.6lbs

Comment

The bottom line is most likely in Kristine's comment opening paragraph. Instant gratification, and a lot of folks just think that they should be ready to have their before-and-after pictures in a Cell-Tech ad one or two weeks after they've started doing something different. And, sadly, we see a lot of this nonsense these days not just when it comes to lifting...

Comment

90% of people under 25 are worthless.

Nice blanket statement, I know. I feel better for it, though.

Skip
              Originally posted by Kristine View Post
              I think it's a generational thing. And I also think that instant gratification is typical of our times. Everyone wants what they want NOW. They don't want to work for it.

If one goes on Instagram, one sees "transformations" but no one sees the work that might've gone into it. Also, no one sees the filters that people are using to highlight their progress. But that's another conversation.

I am in publishing, and I see kids come in straight out of college and act like they're too good to do the menial tasks that we all had to do when we were starting out. Yes, you do have to go make photocopies. Also, you need to walk that laptop across campus if I ask you (nicely, of course) to do that. Deal with it.

I actually had a creative director tell me that she didn't want to tell a design intern to make the changes I wanted. Because and I quote: "she's not going to want to make those changes." HUH? WUT? She's barely out of diapers. This is her first internship. She doesn't get to have an opinion.

Facebook: Skip Hill
              Instagram: @intensemuscle
              YouTube: TEAMSKIP
              TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Originally posted by Ken "Skip" Hill View Post

Skip
                I'll be not worthless in 4 months then

True Nutrition Discount: SRC745
                *2006 USAPL Washington State Powerlifting Championships- 1st, 14-16 age-148lb class -2nd Men's Open 148lb class
                •2x WABDL Worlds Runner Up - Teens 16-17 165lb
                *Former WABDL Teen 16-17 165lb World Record Bench Holder (Washington state record) of 396.6lbs

Comment

Originally posted by Collabera View Post
                  I'll be not worthless in 4 months then
                  I think we all count you in the 10%. But, I do agree with the 90% under 25 statement.

Comment

I gather I am not around enough young people to realize the above 90% statement is true. My son is a nerd - top bloke but also top 1%. His friends are all nerds too so I am seeing mostly young people who put in effort. It is Friday arvo and he has been home 30 minutes and is trying to get in 2 hrs study prior to going to the movies.

He has sport tomorrow morning, then some volunteer work then running some chemistry tutoring........

Sunday he will work 10hrs at a takeaway shop cooking.

I am hanging with the wrong crowd.
                    Buck Brannaman.

'Hanging' Judge PARKER

"Nothing is so powerful as an insight into human nature... what compulsions drive a man, what instincts dominate his action... if you know these things about a man you can touch him at the core of his being."
                    ~William Bernbach

Comment

If that guy was at my gym he would have been on 1g of test already too
                      - Senior Editor of projectbodybuilding.com
                      - Co-host of PED Radio, Inside Bodybuilding and Nonstop Bodybuilding

Comment

^ Funny
                        Buck Brannaman.

'Hanging' Judge PARKER

~William Bernbach

Comment

Skip
                          As someone who turned 30 in March, and just finished his first semester back in college, I will completely agree with this statement.

I will also say that before 25 I made a shit ton of bone headed decisions, so I would have fit into this category. Many of which I now see as stepping stones for my current situation in life. Some I hold resentment for, others I am happy about.

J
                          "No man ever won a war by dieing for his county. He did it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his."

George Patton

Get your Protein where the real men get theirs, TrueProtein.com

5% off with Dicount code JNR490, and 10% off orders over 10 lbs!!!

Comment

Make no mistake, when I dog on the younger generation, I did ALL of that stupid shit and then some when I was young. I was right in there but the difference is that I needed someone to tell me how fucking stupid I was but no one did. I am trying to be that guy for them that wasn't there for me. I feel it is my calling. lol

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
                            Instagram: @intensemuscle
                            YouTube: TEAMSKIP
                            TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Make no mistake, when I dog on the younger generation, I did ALL of that stupid shit and then some when I was young. I was right in there but the difference is that I needed someone to tell me how fucking stupid I was but no one did. I am trying to be that guy for them that wasn't there for me. I feel it is my calling. lol

Skip
                              We all do stupid shit. But at least from what I've seen (I went back to college a couple years ago), this generation is a special breed. They are some how entitled to shit just for "being me".

One of the first conversations I had with a kid here was about his pops. He starts talkin about how his pops is a cheap ass, and won't spring for his new phone. Keep in mind... the phone he has is like a year old, and the new one that he wanted was like $6-700. But the price isn't the point... anyway. I decide to attempt to enlighten this kid. I ask him "well, does your pops pay your cell phone bill?" "...yea". "Is he paying your tuition?" "yea". "you have an apartment, I've heard you say... is he paying for that?" "yea". "okay... well I mean... he's funding your education and housing and food... and he pays your cell phone bill... that sounds like if you work at all, it's just money you can spend on anything. I can't very well say your pops sounds like a cheap ass when he's throwing thousands of dollars out for you right now." This sorry ass sumbitch looks me dead in the face and says "well, he makes a lot of money, that is the least he can do for me".

The last thing I said to him was "no, he could have never been in your life at all. that's the least he could do. and even if he did the right thing and raised you, when you turned 18 he could have told you that you're on your own."

I have found that the attitudes among MANY in that age group are very similar.

Comment

Working...
                              X