Anyone from Ontario?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone from Ontario?

Next year I might finally get the chance to move to Ontario. I'd be moving to Barrie to attend the Georgian College. I had a few questions for anyone in the area, or Canada in general, or anyone who has been there really

- What's the overall cost of living like over there?
    - What's the public transportation like? I've read good things online but real life is another matter.
    - Winter. How bad is it?
    - What's the gym scene over there like?
    - What is the job market in the province like right now? Easy to get hired or are jobs on the low?

Just doing a little research so I might consider my options! Moving to Canada or the Northen US has been a goal for some time now, I love the cold. Any help will be welcome
    Last edited by 0001Delta; 04-30-2015, 12:49 PM.
    "If you're ready to do DC, you're not gonna give a flying f*(k about fatigue from the previous exercise. You get under the bar and kill it, each and every time." - homonunculus

"Nothing better than coming to IM and seeing a Wall of Text next to that big Tricep pic." - Lonnie123

“Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.” - Homer

The scale doesn't show a number. When he steps on it, it simply reads: Big Mother Fucker. - Skip

Is this after the enginerd degree?
    #docswholift
    PGY-1 FM
    "No idea is above scrutiny and no people are beneath dignity." -Maajid Nawaz

Comment

Originally posted by nexa View Post
      Is this after the enginerd degree?
      Yes. I'd be enroling in either Police Studies, Mechanical Engineering Tech or Marine Engineering Tech.

Haven't decided yet :P
      "If you're ready to do DC, you're not gonna give a flying f*(k about fatigue from the previous exercise. You get under the bar and kill it, each and every time." - homonunculus

"Nothing better than coming to IM and seeing a Wall of Text next to that big Tricep pic." - Lonnie123

“Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.” - Homer

The scale doesn't show a number. When he steps on it, it simply reads: Big Mother Fucker. - Skip

Comment

Originally posted by 0001Delta View Post
        Yes. I'd be enroling in either Police Studies, Mechanical Engineering Tech or Marine Engineering Tech.

Haven't decided yet :P
        :tea:

4everastudentlol
        #docswholift
        PGY-1 FM
        "No idea is above scrutiny and no people are beneath dignity." -Maajid Nawaz

Comment

:tea:

Comment

I spent a shit to of time in lower Ontario until I moved away in 2005, and used to vacation on an island in the Georgian Bay about an hr away from Barrie as well.

Compared to the cost of living in Buffalo, NY things are a bit kore expensive. A litre of gas runs more than a gallon of gas (when evenly compared), things such as beef, milk, and other staples are more expensive as well.

That being said, it is a beautiful area, and if you want to do it, its worth the adventure. Do it while you are in your early 20s.

J
            "No man ever won a war by dieing for his county. He did it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his."

George Patton

Get your Protein where the real men get theirs, TrueProtein.com

5% off with Dicount code JNR490, and 10% off orders over 10 lbs!!!

Comment

Next year I might finally get the chance to move to Ontario. I'd be moving to Barrie to attend the Georgian College. I had a few questions for anyone in the area, or Canada in general, or anyone who has been there really

If you're looking for an apartment, you need to spend at least $1000/month to live comfortably.

- What's the public transportation like? I've read good things online but real life is another matter.
              Not too sure. I'm 90 minutes from Barrie and always traveled by car.

- Winter. How bad is it?
              Barrie gets dumped on. Expect a lot of snow. Thigh high isn't uncommon. Our winters are almost 8 months. Our summers tend to be hot as fuck, though. Maybe a little cooler in Barrie as you're more north.

I can't really comment on this as I have a home gym, but it's the same as anywhere else from what people tell me.

- What is the job market in the province like right now? Easy to get hired or are jobs on the low?
              Absolutely terrible. I did Mechanical Engineering at the college level and after 3 layoffs in the field found a job in logistics making more money with better job security. Full-time is becoming a rarity in today's society. A lot of companies offer temporary, part-time, or contract positions. Many people with post-secondary education are underemployed in other fields.

Just doing a little research so I might consider my options! Moving to Canada or the Northen US has been a goal for some time now, I love the cold. Any help will be welcome
              Please see above in red.
              Last edited by FK86; 05-01-2015, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Ok, for Canada, way higher than the states, rent in Barrie isn't too bad relative to the GTA I think

Don't really know about Barrie

- Winter. How bad is it?

If -5 to -20 Celsius isn't really a problem, winter isn't too bad, if you want it above 0 Celsius its horrible for some people. Snows a lot some years

You'd probably be best with your college gym.

Poor, though not absolutely abysmal as some people make it out to be.

Just doing a little research so I might consider my options! Moving to Canada or the Northern US has been a goal for some time now, I love the cold. Any help will be welcome
                In Canada colleges aren't really/generally as "prestigious" as University. Just FYI

Comment

Thanks for the replys everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by xr race View Post
                    In Canada colleges aren't really/generally as "prestigious" as University. Just FYI
                    I already have a bachelors in Eletrical Engineering :p

Comment

Working...
                    X