Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Red face Can you build muscle at a very low body fat while eating at maintenance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red face Can you build muscle at a very low body fat while eating at maintenance?

Assuming you have your diet in check and adequate fat intake along with fish oil supplementation so your hormones are in check ? By very low i mean like 9%< .

Also if so how much would you gains be impacted and decreased because if a beginner in their first year of training can build a maximum of 2 lbs a month while in a surplus and higher bf% than what could a beginner expect to build if he is eating at maintenance and has a low body fat? All of this is assuming he is drug free (AAS free atleast) and has an optimal diet at maintenance and an optimal muscle building training routine ,just low bf .

I'm guessing maybe it would cut his gains in half at least so maybe .5 lb - 1 lb a month max but idk im not sure if any studies have been done under these kind of conditions or if anyone has done it drug free and documented an anecdotal report of the growth .
    Last edited by Ebkallday; 02-24-2015, 06:22 PM.

Originally posted by Ebkallday View Post
    Assuming you have your diet in check and adequate fat intake along with fish oil supplementation so your hormones are in check ? By very low i mean like 9%< .

Also if so how much would you gains be impacted and decreased because if a beginner in their first year of training can build a maximum of 2 lbs a month while in a surplus and higher bf% than what could a beginner expect to build if he is eating at maintenance and has a low body fat? All of this is assuming he is drug free (AAS free atleast) and has an optimal diet at maintenance and an optimal muscle building training routine ,just low bf .

I'm guessing maybe it would cut his gains in half at least so maybe .5 lb - 1 lb a month max but idk im not sure if any studies have been done under these kind of conditions or if anyone has done it drug free and documented an anecdotal report of the growth .

Don't get hung up on the amount muscle you can gain in a month at a particular amount of calories and bodyfat. Train your ass off. Be consistent. If you have only been training for less than a year than you can expect to see results but there is no mathematical equation to give you a set amount of lean "gains". If there was, we'd all be math professors so we could apply it to our training.

True Nutrition Discount: SRC745
    *2006 USAPL Washington State Powerlifting Championships- 1st, 14-16 age-148lb class -2nd Men's Open 148lb class
    •2x WABDL Worlds Runner Up - Teens 16-17 165lb
    *Former WABDL Teen 16-17 165lb World Record Bench Holder (Washington state record) of 396.6lbs

Comment

The leaner you are while trying to make solid gains takes a very thorough understanding of nutrition, recovery, supplements, etc.. Most people can make gains sub 10% but there are a lot of variables. For those that struggle to make gains while very lean, your best bet is to get REALLY lean - like contest ready - and then SLOWLY increase calories incrementally keeping your body fat under control. The problem with that is if you take any break at all and put on too much body fat, there is no going back. You would essentially have to start over by getting ripped and doing it again.

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
      Instagram: @intensemuscle
      YouTube: TEAMSKIP
      TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

The most interesting part of this question for me is the definition of "eating at maintenance" while making gains.

Sounds kind of like of like a one-handed clap.

-S
        The Book Has Arrived!
        The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
        2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
        2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

Originally posted by homonunculus View Post
          The most interesting part of this question for me is the definition of "eating at maintenance" while making gains.

Sounds kind of like of like a one-handed clap.

-S
          :spit::spit::spit:
          Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
          2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
          2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

thanks for the replies , i guess the only real way to find out is to just do it and try tho....

Comment

Working...
            X