Any IM Musicians?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any IM Musicians?

Do any of you guys/gals play a musical instrument or instruments? Anybody currently or formerly in a band or orchestra?
    2014 Greater Gulf States 2nd WPD Class B
    2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW
    2009 Houston Pro/Am 1st LHW & Overall (Am)
    2008 Jr. Nationals 5th LHW
    2007 Greater Gulf States 1st LHW
    2007 LA Championships 1st LHW & Overall

I played guitar for many years. In bands and played a few solo gigs which I like to call "guitar karaoke". Basically playing and singing along to a backing track. But due to buying into a franchise business and focusing on my own training, guitar has taken a back seat.

Comment

Four years of violin lessons and ten years of piano lessons. No desire to ever play either again.

Comment

Dabbled in bass on and off over the last 15 years.

J
        "No man ever won a war by dieing for his county. He did it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his."

George Patton

Get your Protein where the real men get theirs, TrueProtein.com

5% off with Dicount code JNR490, and 10% off orders over 10 lbs!!!

Comment

This is a topic VERY dear to my heart. Thanks for starting this thread, Phoenix!

My first major in university was instrumental music education. My primary instrument is trumpet and second is French horn, though it is difficult to maintain both at the same time since they require exactly opposite embouchure. As a Music Ed. major, I had to learn the beginner to intermediate level on ALL western instruments - strings, percussion, woodwind and brasswind. I was in orchestra and symphonic band throughout high school and university, marched in DCI drum corp 1997-98. In high school I was a lead trumpet in a jazz/big band combo and played lead trumpet for several musicals and opera pit orchestras.

Although I had quite the collection of instruments at one time, all other instruments have been sold or given away save a couple guitars and recorders for my daughters to fiddle with. They have their own violins and digital piano as well...that's about it.

Now I play my orchestral trumpet on holidays and for birthdays or demonstrations for students when they are learning about musical instruments. Occasionally, I'll break out my horn when I need an outlet that is less physical than hitting the weights and just emote for a while.

In fact, I think I'm going to go pull it out now... :rockon:
          Unless a man undertakes more than he can possibly do, he will never do all he can.

Unfathomable progress is the result of consistent, daily steps toward a single goal

Comment

Originally posted by tallis71 View Post
            I played guitar for many years. In bands and played a few solo gigs which I like to call "guitar karaoke". Basically playing and singing along to a backing track. But due to buying into a franchise business and focusing on my own training, guitar has taken a back seat.
            I hear you. It can be a very time consuming interest, especially to take it to the public. Not just maintaining a certain skill level, but actually getting out there, securing gigs and then staying awake late enough to play them...particularly if you have a FT day job.

Originally posted by Kristine View Post
            Four years of violin lessons and ten years of piano lessons. No desire to ever play either again.
            Were lessons "forced" on you as a kid?

Originally posted by Godsmack View Post
            Dabbled in bass on and off over the last 15 years.
            That's cool Godsmack. What kind of music do you like to play? I haven't touched bass much in the past several years, but I've been in bands as bassist, and jazz bass was my instrument when I majored in music in college.

Originally posted by gsop_3 View Post
            This is a topic VERY dear to my heart. Thanks for starting this thread, Phoenix!

My first major in university was instrumental music education. My primary instrument is trumpet and second is French horn, though it is difficult to maintain both at the same time since they require exactly opposite embouchure. As a Music Ed. major, I had to learn the beginner to intermediate level on ALL western instruments - strings, percussion, woodwind and brasswind. I was in orchestra and symphonic band throughout high school and university, marched in DCI drum corp 1997-98. In high school I was a lead trumpet in a jazz/big band combo and played lead trumpet for several musicals and opera pit orchestras.

Although I had quite the collection of instruments at one time, all other instruments have been sold or given away save a couple guitars and recorders for my daughters to fiddle with. They have their own violins and digital piano as well...that's about it.

Now I play my orchestral trumpet on holidays and for birthdays or demonstrations for students when they are learning about musical instruments. Occasionally, I'll break out my horn when I need an outlet that is less physical than hitting the weights and just emote for a while.

In fact, I think I'm going to go pull it out now... :rockon:
            Ha! Awesome! I love brass. Never played any myself though. You are one of the few people I know who studied music ed at the university level and is still enthusiastic about it. I've started playing guitar 20 years ago, and played drums and bass off and on throughout that time as well. I've been in bands off and on since I'm 17. I worked on a music degree, but didn't finish it. I've currently got myself into the habit of practicing more than I ever have, with noticeable improvement, so it's addicting. I write and record too. I haven't gigged in a few months, and have no motivation to do that now. It's an ebb and flow there.
            2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW

Comment

Originally posted by phoenix13 View Post

Ha! Awesome! I love brass. Never played any myself though. You are one of the few people I know who studied music ed at the university level and is still enthusiastic about it. I've started playing guitar 20 years ago, and played drums and bass off and on throughout that time as well. I've been in bands off and on since I'm 17. I worked on a music degree, but didn't finish it. I've currently got myself into the habit of practicing more than I ever have, with noticeable improvement, so it's addicting. I write and record too. I haven't gigged in a few months, and have no motivation to do that now. It's an ebb and flow there.
              Funny you mention the ebb and flow thing...I think that was and still is true of me. Not just in music but with just about any endeavor I'm interested in (weightlifting included).
              That being said, Music Ed has one of the highest rates of attrition among university degrees. One of the things I struggled with was spending so much time analyzing music through looking at scores or listening, I began to lose the joy of just purely feeling the music and enjoying it. It got to the point that I was nothing but a critic of everything I heard...intonation, style, rhythm, tambre, phrasing etc...I had to really step back and reevaluate the situation and WHY I was doing it. In the end, I love teaching! And although I'm not teaching music (other than to my two daughters) I am still a teacher...Teaching ESL at a Chinese University.
              Though, my music background has come in VERY handy when it comes to learning the Chinese language. It's a tonal language, meaning the changes in pitch of a word determines its meaning. Also, they really like KTV aka Karaoke LOL
              :drum:
              Unless a man undertakes more than he can possibly do, he will never do all he can.

Unfathomable progress is the result of consistent, daily steps toward a single goal

Comment

I have played in a few small outfits, but mainly funk and jazz. Bands large enough to cover my shortcomings.

Right now I am looking for a new bass. Something fretless, but with the lines still on the fretboard. Looking into Dean or Fender, especially since Dean's are made here in Tampa.

J
                "No man ever won a war by dieing for his county. He did it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his."

George Patton

Get your Protein where the real men get theirs, TrueProtein.com

5% off with Dicount code JNR490, and 10% off orders over 10 lbs!!!

Comment

:sammich: :drum:
                  Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
                  kind of a douche

Comment

Learning guitar. Decent at rhythm but my lead playing has a loooooooong way to go.

Comment

I have been in several bands... Play the guitar
                      Played with 12 stones one time
                      Saving Abel
                      Day of fire
                      Jus some high profile but small shows....nothing that EVER MADE ME FAMOUS LOL OF PAYED THE BILLS AT ALL
                      jus had a lot of fun with some kick ass southern heavy metal bands
                      I see you didn't take a s#!t before deadlifting....
                      I too like to live dangerously

Comment

Originally posted by gsop_3 View Post
                        Funny you mention the ebb and flow thing...I think that was and still is true of me. Not just in music but with just about any endeavor I'm interested in (weightlifting included).

That being said, Music Ed has one of the highest rates of attrition among university degrees. One of the things I struggled with was spending so much time analyzing music through looking at scores or listening, I began to lose the joy of just purely feeling the music and enjoying it.
                        I tend to do love/hate moreso than ebb/flow, and am trying to be more like water as Bruce Lee says. Being overly analytical about music for the sake of improvement has cost me enjoyment of the experience of listening as well. It's easy to lose the forest for the trees. And to not smell one's own shit from one's knees.

Originally posted by Godsmack View Post
                        I have played in a few small outfits, but mainly funk and jazz. Bands large enough to cover my shortcomings.

Right now I am looking for a new bass. Something fretless, but with the lines still on the fretboard. Looking into Dean or Fender, especially since Dean's are made here in Tampa.
                        Funny you mention that about playing with larger groups. Strength in numbers. That's exciting about the fretless. It's a great sound.

Originally posted by KyMuscle View Post
                        Learning guitar. Decent at rhythm but my lead playing has a loooooooong way to go.
                        That's great! I hear you. Lead is another animal altogether. 10,000 hrs to mastery.

Originally posted by DC_catholic315 View Post
                        I have been in several bands... Play the guitar
                        Played with 12 stones one time
                        Saving Abel
                        Day of fire
                        Jus some high profile but small shows....nothing that EVER MADE ME FAMOUS LOL OF PAYED THE BILLS AT ALL
                        jus had a lot of fun with some kick ass southern heavy metal bands
                        LOL That is really cool. Those bands play around here occasionally. Having a lot of fun counts as a measure of success to me.
                        2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW

Comment

Working...
                        X