What has stopped you training?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What has stopped you training?

Not asking about the usual stuff here like motivation or work.

This stems from yesterday where I picked up a dumbbell and felt a small pain on my thumb. Today my thumb is double it's usual size and I can't close my hand.

A check of the dumbbell rack found one of these about 3mm in length.

http://www.qm.qld.gov.au/Find+out+ab...r#.VKuziFx--Uk
    Relatively harmless.
    "Be gentle in what you do, firm in how you do it."
    Buck Brannaman.

"It is the certainty of punishment that deters crime, not the severity of it."
    'Hanging' Judge PARKER

"Nothing is so powerful as an insight into human nature... what compulsions drive a man, what instincts dominate his action... if you know these things about a man you can touch him at the core of his being."
    ~William Bernbach

Last spring before my last working set of squats I started to feel light headed and a little "funky". I went over and leaned on a bench where I proceeded to pass out and have a seizure. Was taken out on an ambulance and spent the night in the hospital.

Since this was the 3rd time this happened (first time in the gym) the doctor put me on anti seizure meds which totally f'ed me up. Since the neurologist couldn't give me an answer as to why this has happened I sought out another opinion and he directed me to a cardiologist in September.

The cardiologist ordered what is called a Tilt Table test that measures how your heart rate and blood pressure work together and sure enough about 8 minutes into the test I passed out. Fortunately I didn't seize because the table was lowered fast enough to get blood to my brain.

I never really stopped training but the way that I train has changed. I have to be careful with the type of exercises that I do and how fast I go. I don't use any pre/post workout supps and sometimes I just have to lie down and put my feet up while training. It can be a total mind f*ck some days and it was really rough over the summer when I had no answers as to what was wrong with me.

Now I just take everything one exercise at a time, one set at a time and do my best to get my workouts in.

Comment

Wow, that is some serious training trick! Exactly the sort of thing I meant.
      "Be gentle in what you do, firm in how you do it."
      Buck Brannaman.

"It is the certainty of punishment that deters crime, not the severity of it."
      'Hanging' Judge PARKER

"Nothing is so powerful as an insight into human nature... what compulsions drive a man, what instincts dominate his action... if you know these things about a man you can touch him at the core of his being."
      ~William Bernbach

Comment

Torn rotor cuff for me. Dice77 hope your doing better

Comment

Hmmm... Hernia operation, Mono, Sliced open thumb, Left Knee tendonitis. Everything else has just been stuff I've worked around.
          "If people were 1/10th as worried about the rest of their meals as they were about the post workout shake, there would be a hell of a lot more people looking like bodybuilders. "
          -Trop

Comment

Originally posted by dice77 View Post
            Last spring before my last working set of squats I started to feel light headed and a little "funky". I went over and leaned on a bench where I proceeded to pass out and have a seizure. Was taken out on an ambulance and spent the night in the hospital.

Since this was the 3rd time this happened (first time in the gym) the doctor put me on anti seizure meds which totally f'ed me up. Since the neurologist couldn't give me an answer as to why this has happened I sought out another opinion and he directed me to a cardiologist in September.

The cardiologist ordered what is called a Tilt Table test that measures how your heart rate and blood pressure work together and sure enough about 8 minutes into the test I passed out. Fortunately I didn't seize because the table was lowered fast enough to get blood to my brain.

I never really stopped training but the way that I train has changed. I have to be careful with the type of exercises that I do and how fast I go. I don't use any pre/post workout supps and sometimes I just have to lie down and put my feet up while training. It can be a total mind f*ck some days and it was really rough over the summer when I had no answers as to what was wrong with me.

Now I just take everything one exercise at a time, one set at a time and do my best to get my workouts in.
            Thats rough man... I've gone through something similar. I've had two Vasovagal Responses in the past 5 years. Both sucked and came about completely unexpectedly. I know what caused them, though so I don't expect them to happen again, but who knows. Scary that it happened to you in the gym.
            "If people were 1/10th as worried about the rest of their meals as they were about the post workout shake, there would be a hell of a lot more people looking like bodybuilders. "
            -Trop

Comment

Yipes!!

A check of the dumbbell rack found one of these about 3mm in length.

I am pretty sure I will be checking out ALL the dumbbells before I lift them up now. . . yikes. . . . . .

A few years back in January I did a very very BAD lift of either squats or deadlift. . . not sure. . . . but ended up with the lower discs pinched. . . 3 months of physical therapy and forever fear of raw squatting. . . I use the Smith machine now for squats. ;(

JessicaG
              KittyFighter333
              Last edited by KittyFighter333; 01-19-2015, 06:43 PM.

Comment

pinched disk

Kitty fighter,

Check out comfortrac traction machine. I use the one for my neck and it really is a life saver. It's based off research when astronauts came back from space and their disks had more fluid move into them. So much so that they actually were taller when they got back on earth. (for about 6 months) The restored fluid helped their backs. Anyway the traction works the same way it relieves pressure to allow fluid to move back into the disk and relieve pain and pressure on the nerve.

Check with your doctor and see what they say.

Comment

Working...
                X