Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So we exhale our fat...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • So we exhale our fat...

    This comes from a page that I like to follow. I thought this could piggy back the "how we like our information" thread. Well I have no scientific knowledge what happens to fat when burned, but still an interesting read. Maybe someone could clarify the info or give better understanding of it.

    HEALTH AND MEDICINE

    Where Does Your Fat Go When You Lose Weight?

    December 17, 2014 | by Janet Fang

    We talk a lot about dieting and burning off fat, but we actually have a lot of misconceptions about weight loss. Some people think fat is converted into energy or heat—a violation of the law of conservation of mass—while others think that the fat is somehow excreted or even converted to muscle. I was told early on that you can never lose your fat cells (adipose) once you gain them...they just shrink if you work it off.

    Well, according to Andrew Brown from the University of New South Wales and Australian TV personality (slash former physicist) Ruben Meerman, when you lose weight, you exhale your fat. Their new calculations, based on existing knowledge about biochemistry, were published in the British Medical Journal this week.

    “There is surprising ignorance and confusion about the metabolic process of weight loss,” Brown says in a news release. “The correct answer is that most of the mass is breathed out as carbon dioxide,” Meerman adds. “It goes into thin air.”

    Excess carbs and proteins are converted into chemical compounds called triglycerides (which consist of carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen) and then stored in the lipid droplets of fat cells. To lose weight, you’re attempting to metabolize those triglycerides, and that means unlocking the carbon that’s stored in your fat cells.

    Losing 10 kilograms of human fat requires the inhalation of 29 kilograms of oxygen, producing 28 kilograms of carbon dioxide and 11 kilograms of water. That’s the metabolic fate of fat.

    Then the duo calculated the proportion of the mass stored in those 10 kilograms of fat that exits as carbon dioxide and as water when we lose weight. By tracing the pathway of those atoms out of the body, they found that 8.4 of those kilograms are exhaled as carbon dioxide. Turns out, our lungs are the primary excretory organ for weight loss. The remaining 1.6 kilograms becomes water, which is excreted in urine, feces, sweat, breath, tears, and other bodily fluids.

    So, for this upcoming post-holiday season, should we all just exhale more to shed those extra pounds? No. Breathing more than required by a person’s metabolic rate leads to hyperventilation, followed by dizziness, palpitations, and loss of consciousness.



    So do we develop a better way of turning fat into gases? And ditch cardio cause I HATE cardio... Lol
    I have found iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me. It never runs. Friends may come and go but two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds. There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength, Once the mind and body have been awakened to their true potential, its impossible to turn back, the iron never lies to you.

  • #2
    Originally posted by ShankS View Post
    This comes from a page that I like to follow. I thought this could piggy back the "how we like our information" thread. Well I have no scientific knowledge what happens to fat when burned, but still an interesting read. Maybe someone could clarify the info or give better understanding of it.

    HEALTH AND MEDICINE

    Where Does Your Fat Go When You Lose Weight?

    December 17, 2014 | by Janet Fang

    We talk a lot about dieting and burning off fat, but we actually have a lot of misconceptions about weight loss. Some people think fat is converted into energy or heat—a violation of the law of conservation of mass—while others think that the fat is somehow excreted or even converted to muscle. I was told early on that you can never lose your fat cells (adipose) once you gain them...they just shrink if you work it off.

    Well, according to Andrew Brown from the University of New South Wales and Australian TV personality (slash former physicist) Ruben Meerman, when you lose weight, you exhale your fat. Their new calculations, based on existing knowledge about biochemistry, were published in the British Medical Journal this week.

    “There is surprising ignorance and confusion about the metabolic process of weight loss,” Brown says in a news release. “The correct answer is that most of the mass is breathed out as carbon dioxide,” Meerman adds. “It goes into thin air.”

    Excess carbs and proteins are converted into chemical compounds called triglycerides (which consist of carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen) and then stored in the lipid droplets of fat cells. To lose weight, you’re attempting to metabolize those triglycerides, and that means unlocking the carbon that’s stored in your fat cells.

    Losing 10 kilograms of human fat requires the inhalation of 29 kilograms of oxygen, producing 28 kilograms of carbon dioxide and 11 kilograms of water. That’s the metabolic fate of fat.

    Then the duo calculated the proportion of the mass stored in those 10 kilograms of fat that exits as carbon dioxide and as water when we lose weight. By tracing the pathway of those atoms out of the body, they found that 8.4 of those kilograms are exhaled as carbon dioxide. Turns out, our lungs are the primary excretory organ for weight loss. The remaining 1.6 kilograms becomes water, which is excreted in urine, feces, sweat, breath, tears, and other bodily fluids.

    So, for this upcoming post-holiday season, should we all just exhale more to shed those extra pounds? No. Breathing more than required by a person’s metabolic rate leads to hyperventilation, followed by dizziness, palpitations, and loss of consciousness.



    So do we develop a better way of turning fat into gases? And ditch cardio cause I HATE cardio... Lol
    Is this a legit article? This person seems to be talking out of her ass:

    "Some people think fat is converted into energy or heat—a violation of the law of conservation of mass—while others think that the fat is somehow excreted or even converted to muscle. "

    Mass = Energy :fish:

    Comment


    • #3
      Lol that's what I'm talking about so many "professionals"
      I have found iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me. It never runs. Friends may come and go but two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds. There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength, Once the mind and body have been awakened to their true potential, its impossible to turn back, the iron never lies to you.

      Comment


      • #4
        Here's the original publication referred to in the new article:

        http://www.bmj.com/content/349/bmj.g7257

        -S
        The Book Has Arrived!
        The Book Has Arrived!

        Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"


        www.TrueNutrition.com

        2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
        2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
        2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

        Comment


        • #5
          The only time I exhale my fat is when I belch hard and my fat belly pokes out.
          Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
          kind of a douche

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by ShankS View Post
            So, for this upcoming post-holiday season, should we all just exhale more to shed those extra pounds? No. Breathing more than required by a person’s metabolic rate leads to hyperventilation, followed by dizziness, palpitations, and loss of consciousness.
            The fact that this sentence is included in this article just kills me. Speaking of which, if someone is DUMB ENOUGH to think that breathing more will help him/her lose weight, have at it. Darwin at work.

            Just wait...Dr. Oz is going to feature a segment like, "Can you breathe yourself thin?" on his next show. You heard it here first.

            Comment


            • #7
              Heard something similar about swimmers and divers. Since their cardio is performed submerged. They do not sweat and it's the process of exhalation or something along those lines. Have no clue about the validity of that lol
              SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

              - Success is the best revenge

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Kristine View Post
                The fact that this sentence is included in this article just kills me. Speaking of which, if someone is DUMB ENOUGH to think that breathing more will help him/her lose weight, have at it. Darwin at work.

                Just wait...Dr. Oz is going to feature a segment like, "Can you breathe yourself thin?" on his next show. You heard it here first.
                Hyperventilation occurs when the rate and quantity of alveolar ventilation of carbon dioxide exceeds body's production of carbon dioxide. Hyperventilation can be voluntary or involuntary.

                lol so, according to this definition and what the writer said, if I can burn fat faster then I will have a hard time hyperventiling...

                you will not convince me this is true. When I was taking my divers course and had to pull that damn mask off underwater at 50FT. I immediatly went into hypervenilation once I surfaced.... F* that. Oh and I didnt get my dive cert..
                I have found iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me. It never runs. Friends may come and go but two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds. There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength, Once the mind and body have been awakened to their true potential, its impossible to turn back, the iron never lies to you.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by ShankS View Post
                  Hyperventilation occurs when the rate and quantity of alveolar ventilation of carbon dioxide exceeds body's production of carbon dioxide. Hyperventilation can be voluntary or involuntary.

                  lol so, according to this definition and what the writer said, if I can burn fat faster then I will have a hard time hyperventiling...

                  you will not convince me this is true. When I was taking my divers course and had to pull that damn mask off underwater at 50FT. I immediatly went into hypervenilation once I surfaced.... F* that. Oh and I didnt get my dive cert..
                  But did you get shredded?...

                  Abs or your dive certification? Sit on the beach and be ripped or hide away under water?... Hmmmm



                  -S
                  The Book Has Arrived!
                  The Book Has Arrived!

                  Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"


                  www.TrueNutrition.com

                  2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
                  2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
                  2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by homonunculus View Post
                    But did you get shredded?...
                    Abs or your dive certification? Sit on the beach and be ripped or hide away under water?... Hmmmm



                    -S
                    Actually I did get pretty shredded, but I think it was from the help Skip provided :peace:.
                    I ended up staying on the beach. Wet suits dont fit too well when you live in Japan and made for Japanese people..
                    I have found iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me. It never runs. Friends may come and go but two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds. There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength, Once the mind and body have been awakened to their true potential, its impossible to turn back, the iron never lies to you.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by ShankS View Post
                      Actually I did get pretty shredded, but I think it was from the help Skip provided :peace:.
                      Skip makes me breath heavy, too...


                      I ended up staying on the beach. Wet suits dont fit too well when you live in Japan and made for Japanese people..
                      LOL - Tough being a giant in the land of the Lilliputians, eh?

                      -S
                      The Book Has Arrived!
                      The Book Has Arrived!

                      Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"


                      www.TrueNutrition.com

                      2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
                      2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
                      2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Scott:

                        What can you extrapolate from this article that is valid? There has to be something and I don't want to be so quick to dismiss it, to be honest. I want to believe there might be SOMETHING in this article that is good. What say you?

                        Skip




                        Skip


                        Facebook: Skip Hill
                        Instagram: @intensemuscle
                        YouTube: TEAMSKIP
                        TikTok: @intensemuscle


                        For Training Inquiries: [email protected]gmail.com

                        Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Ken "Skip" Hill View Post
                          Scott:

                          What can you extrapolate from this article that is valid? There has to be something and I don't want to be so quick to dismiss it, to be honest. I want to believe there might be SOMETHING in this article that is good. What say you?

                          Skip
                          Ken,

                          Yes, check the original publication I posted:

                          http://www.bmj.com/content/349/bmj.g7257

                          The overall reaction of fat oxidation is

                          Triglyceride (or just fatty acid) + O2 --> CO2 plus water plus a ton of ATP.

                          The energy derived is in the ATP, but we're not splitting atoms here, so there is very little in the way of a decrease in matter.

                          There's about a 40% inefficiency in converting chemical bonds in food into ATP chemical bonds and another 50% or so in the ATP --> work conversion during exercise, which leaves us at about 20% efficiency overall (ignoring that the CO2) is lost and not something that the body attempts to breakdown to use to do chemical or mechanical work).

                          So, when we talk about energy in food, this can be found in oxidizing it in a calorimeter where you get the same reaction as above, but the ATP is entirely lost as heat. (Kcal are a measure of the heat energy.)

                          So yes, the main materials lost from the body when you burn fat (and this goes for carbohydrate, too) are Carbon dioxide and water.

                          -S
                          The Book Has Arrived!
                          The Book Has Arrived!

                          Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"


                          www.TrueNutrition.com

                          2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
                          2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
                          2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Very interesting.

                            Skip


                            Facebook: Skip Hill
                            Instagram: @intensemuscle
                            YouTube: TEAMSKIP
                            TikTok: @intensemuscle


                            For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

                            Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Just an observation, but could this be related to why folks on DNP breathe so heavily?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X