Another Cervical Fusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Cervical Fusion

Well I just found out last week I once again need to have a cervical fusion done. This time it will be a Posterior Foraminotomy and Discectomy at C4-5 and likely C3-4.

I'll be out of action 8-12 weeks and in a neck brace like the one I attached here for just about the entire time. I'll check in here from time to time and let everyone know how things are going.

This has put my off season work with Skip on hold and also has me wondering if I'll be able to continue to do things in the gym as I have for the last 28 plus years. I'll be 47 in March and realize that I'm not 27 anymore for sure.
    Attached Files
    Joe

Contest History:
    2017 Muscle Heat - 2nd Place Masters 40+ HWT & 3rd Place LHW
    2017 Gold's Classic - 3rd Place Masters 40+ HWT & 4th Place LHW
    2016 GK Classic - 1st Place MW & 4th Place Masters 40+
    2016 Charlotte Europa - 3rd Place MW & 1st Place Masters 35+
    2015 Mid-Atlantic Classic - 4th Place LHW & 4th Place Masters 40+ HWY
    2014 Muscle Heat Classic - 4th Place LHW & 4th Place Masters 35+ HWY

I don't know about your fusion, in particular, but I have two friends that have trained for years that have had fusions (one in the lower back and one in the neck) and they train without almost any limitations and they train hard as hell and heavy as hell.

My opinion isn't what you were looking for but I still wanted to post a positive note.

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
    Instagram: @intensemuscle
    YouTube: TEAMSKIP
    TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Thanks Skip.

That's my hope as well. Keep training as I have been. You just sit and think sometimes...Ok did something in my training style cause this to happen again or is it just shitty genetics and more related to DDD?

You know me, I'm going to push it as hard as I can to achieve the goals I have set for myself.
      Joe

Contest History:

Comment

I know you will.

Skip

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Best of luck! At least you have a great attitude to help you get through this. I'm sure things will work out for you. Turned 48 this year myself so for the last couple of years had to up my rep ranges and my form is superior to when I first started lifting, for sure
          Not exactly sure why I got "spondylosis" but I believe it stemmed from earlier that night when I went from bad form squats to bad form rows. That was when I felt it. So when they said I inherited it in my genes...I was definitely confused. So all this time I figured that it was going to happen to me anyways and that I sped up the process with my bad form.

Good luck with your situation
          ain't it the shit? Just wait til you guys/gals see some of the strength jumps lol..and the size you put on!
          Good luck
          Jimpaul/Newtoketo

EAT BIG, LIFT BIG AND GET BIG...SOUNDS LIKE A PLAN

USE TRUENUTRITION.COM FOR ALL YOUR
          SUPPLEMENTAL NEEDS!!
          TO GET MY DISCOUNT USE Jat338

Comment

My man has had two. His recovery was not easy but he was at the gym within days of the surgery. Are you getting metal or cadaver bone? His fused fast and he had no issues after. I hope yours is successful!
            "This is your life. It is the only one you get. So no excuses, and no do-overs. If you make a mistake or fail at something you learn from it, you get over it and you move on. Your job is to be the very best person you can be and to never settle for anything less."
            ~ Ann Richards, former TX governor

Comment

Originally posted by Jen View Post
              My man has had two. His recovery was not easy but he was at the gym within days of the surgery. Are you getting metal or cadaver bone? His fused fast and he had no issues after. I hope yours is successful!

The first one I had done in 2010 I got 3 cadaver bones, a plate & 6 screws. This time I believe he will use the bone he grinds off me and use that to do the fusion at both areas on the left side of my cervical area.

Thanks Jen, I hope it heals quickly as well.
              Joe

Contest History:

Comment

Another Cervical Fusion

What's up IM!

Well I'm three weeks post cervical fusion number 2 and I feel great. Went for my first follow up visit today and all is going well. At least three more weeks of this cervical collar and no driving or lifting anything heavier than a gallon of milk.

Here's a picture of my new hardware. Have a nice weekend!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                Joe

Contest History:

Comment

Got to see my scar for the first time the other day. Damn is what came to mind. The one from the first one done from the front is only 2" or so.

Good news is I get to go back to work next week! Gonna try to get cleared to get back in the gym as well...fingers crossed.
                  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424830288.879974.jpg
                  Joe

Contest History:

Comment

Nice one!! Looks like it's about healed.
                    "This is your life. It is the only one you get. So no excuses, and no do-overs. If you make a mistake or fail at something you learn from it, you get over it and you move on. Your job is to be the very best person you can be and to never settle for anything less."
                    ~ Ann Richards, former TX governor

Comment

Bionic Joe.

Skip

Comment

Man, I really thought I posted in here before your surgery to wish you the best. :o

I'm so glad to hear that you are doing well with healing! gnarly scar.
                        2014 Greater Gulf States 2nd WPD Class B
                        2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW
                        2009 Houston Pro/Am 1st LHW & Overall (Am)
                        2008 Jr. Nationals 5th LHW
                        2007 Greater Gulf States 1st LHW
                        2007 LA Championships 1st LHW & Overall

Comment

Originally posted by Jen View Post
                          Nice one!! Looks like it's about healed.
                          Yes Jen it seems too be all healed on the outside. I just need the rods to fuse to my spine so I can get out of this brace and drive and get back to the gym! I'll find out next week (Tuesday) how things on the inside are progressing! Fingers crossed!
                          Joe

Contest History:

Comment

Originally posted by Ken "Skip" Hill View Post
                            Bionic Joe.

Skip
                            Ha...that's what my brother said Skip....we'll see how bionic I a once I get cleared to train again!!:bb:
                            Joe

Contest History:

Comment

Originally posted by phoenix13 View Post
                              Man, I really thought I posted in here before your surgery to wish you the best. :o

I'm so glad to hear that you are doing well with healing! gnarly scar.
                              Thanks Phoenix....I was very surprised to have a steel rod on both sides (thought just left side) AND how big that scar was!

I'm looking forward to getting back at it and finishing what Skip and I started in August. Should be a fun ride and a good story on not giving up!
                              Joe

Contest History:

Comment

Working...
                              X