College education

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College education

Who here has gone to College and what did you go to school for?what made you choose that degree path?

At 29 and after being out of work for so long, I am going back to school. Unfortunately the AS in Radiography program at my local school is extremely long, and IMO has too many pre-req's to make it worth my while. That being said I am exploring other options.

J
    "No man ever won a war by dieing for his county. He did it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his."

George Patton

Get your Protein where the real men get theirs, TrueProtein.com

5% off with Dicount code JNR490, and 10% off orders over 10 lbs!!!

College education

I started off in a pre-med track but although doing fine, despised chemistry.

I took a few random courses and really loved economics... I took more business courses and then pursued it further. I graduated with a finance degrees and business management degree.

I got hired into the same place I am at now and they paid for my MBA, which is kind of par for the course in the business world...
    Last edited by mentalflex; 11-21-2014, 12:08 PM.
    Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
    2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
    2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

I majored in theater, then music, and took enough psych and humanities for a minor. I didn't have the maturity or self-discipline at the time to make that investment worthwhile in terms of setting myself up for a career, though I learned a lot. As I sit here typing this, I have one foot in regret and the other in acceptance that it led me to where I am today.

In an attempt to say anything helpful... Find something that both interests you AND has a fairly straight forward track to employment. Unless you are very self-motivated, a go-getter and a risk taker.
      2014 Greater Gulf States 2nd WPD Class B
      2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW
      2009 Houston Pro/Am 1st LHW & Overall (Am)
      2008 Jr. Nationals 5th LHW
      2007 Greater Gulf States 1st LHW
      2007 LA Championships 1st LHW & Overall

Comment

In Canada, college doesn't get you a degree, it gets you a diploma. You have to go to university to obtain a degree. I went to college and got a diploma in Mechanical Engineering Technology. I graduated in 2008, which is right around the time industry absolutely fucking tanked in North America. From 2009 to 2014 I worked 4 jobs, resulting in 3 layoffs and a resignation. During those 5 years I was out of work for almost 2 and a half non-consecutive years (13 months, 3 months, 4 months, and 7 months respectively). It's 10 times worse than you can possibly imagine. I'm currently working in logistics while I try to get into a skilled trade.

I'm rather bitter about education at this point because I definitely came in at the end, the best is over. There used to be a time when you were guaranteed a job if you went to school. Nothing could be further from the truth now. Hindsight's 20/20 and if I was 18 again I would have probably opted for a degree in electrical engineering and pursued a career in energy/hydro or become a pharmacist. Pursuing a passion is all well and good, but I think career decisions should be made based on what is available.

I'm not the only one in this situation either. Almost everyone I know with a degree in teaching, psychology, sociology, etc is waiting tables and tending bar. I wish it was 1954.

Comment

Originally posted by Godsmack View Post
          Who here has gone to College and what did you go to school for?what made you choose that degree path?

At 29 and after being out of work for so long, I am going back to school. Unfortunately the AS in Radiography program at my local school is extremely long, and IMO has too many pre-req's to make it worth my while. That being said I am exploring other options.

J
          Anything you do acadmeicly will involve pre requisite courses that seemingly have nothing to do with what you are actually pursuing. Don't let that discourage you though. It will go by faster than you think. Just start, that's the major thing, even if you don't know where you want to end up. I didn't start college until my mid 20s while working full time untill I figured out what I wanted to do. I learned I really enjoy chemistry (unlike mentalflex) and decided to go into pharmacy.

Comment

J
            I have a degree in MAthematics(thought I wanted to tech, nope), I joined the military and worked in Law Enforcement then decided engineering would be a safer choice due to the birth of my son and now have a degree in Electrical Engineering and soon to finish my Mechanical Engineering Degree. I'm a math nerd

Comment

My mom pretty much talked me into going to see a physical therapy clinic and how they operated
              I fell in love with it
              Went for 1 year (3 semesters) and got pre recs
              Went 2 more (3 each year fall/winter/summer semesters again with clinical a) years after being accepted into the physical therapist assistant program
              Love my career it's awesome
              If Id a bad my shit screwed on right Id prolly have persued being a physical or occupational therapist instead of an assistant
              But I recently got promoted to managing a rehab dept. So don't let the fact that it's an AS degree let you think you can't advance in the world of therapy

I had a shit academic careen in hs btw this was after bouncing from manual labor and mechanic jobs for a few years I was 21 when I got serious about going to a community college and Persuing a career path
              I see you didn't take a s#!t before deadlifting....
              I too like to live dangerously

Comment

I'm going to be in school until I die. Currently in my 5th year of Ph.D. work for theoretical physics. But my desire is to teach and learn, so I need to stay in academia.
                Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
                kind of a douche

Comment

I'm in my final year of a undergraduate degree in Political Science here in the UK. I am doing a Masters next year in Social & Political Theory, and intend on doing a PhD after that.

Comment

BS in Animal Science. MBA in Accounting.

Comment

Originally posted by Rav Sandhu View Post
                      I'm in my final year of a undergraduate degree in Political Science here in the UK. I am doing a Masters next year in Social & Political Theory, and intend on doing a PhD after that.
                      We'll be in the UK next month. Going to see my son in Northamptonshire. I love you country.

Comment

Thanks guys and gals. For me this is a rather stressful experience. I went from HS into the Army Reserves in 2003 and half assed did a semester at a CC in NY. i had average grades in HS with the exception of English, Art, and History. Needless to say I was not as committed to school as I should have been. After losing the menial job I had, I went on actuve duty in late 2005. After two deployments I was medically discharged in 2013. I found work relatively easily in Tampa in July. I was downsized in late April and have not found work since. I was too late for fall semester when I thought more about school, and am deciding to go in the spring.

The fortunate spot I am in, is that the GI bill will pay for school, and probide a nice stipend. After knocking out the first semester, I will be choosing my major (as of now it is general ed) and mossibly moving to USF as long as I make good grades. I am trying to decide on a major that will pay decently, and that will make me happy. I absolutely love writing (except on this damn iPad), photography, music, and travel. Suffice to say, I am usually pretty damn good at these things as well.

The radiography program I had looked at has 29 credit hours of pre-reqs before you can even apply for it, followed by another 2 years of classes that only start each January. The result of almost 5 years of class is an AS in Radiography. Needless to say IMO this is a bit excessive as the same certifications that accompany the AS takes mearly 2 years at other institutions.

I appreciate your experiences, and would love to hear more. Any other experiences, tips, tricks, suggestions, or questions are more than welcome.

J
                        "No man ever won a war by dieing for his county. He did it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his."

George Patton

Get your Protein where the real men get theirs, TrueProtein.com

5% off with Dicount code JNR490, and 10% off orders over 10 lbs!!!

Comment

Started off going for a physiotherapy undergrad. Loved anatomy, biochem, physiology, etc. Decided to try med school. Got in, then became disillusioned with the medical profession, got into Electrical Engineering, only a couple of years left. Like Sammich I wanna study until I die, will likely go for a chemistry degree next or get a post-grad.
                          "If you're ready to do DC, you're not gonna give a flying f*(k about fatigue from the previous exercise. You get under the bar and kill it, each and every time." - homonunculus

"Nothing better than coming to IM and seeing a Wall of Text next to that big Tricep pic." - Lonnie123

“Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.” - Homer

The scale doesn't show a number. When he steps on it, it simply reads: Big Mother Fucker. - Skip

Comment

I hate USF. I am glad I got away from that school and that area. Soflo is so much better .

Thanks guys and gals. For me this is a rather stressful experience. I went from HS into the Army Reserves in 2003 and half assed did a semester at a CC in NY. i had average grades in HS with the exception of English, Art, and History. Needless to say I was not as committed to school as I should have been. After losing the menial job I had, I went on actuve duty in late 2005. After two deployments I was medically discharged in 2013. I found work relatively easily in Tampa in July. I was downsized in late April and have not found work since. I was too late for fall semester when I thought more about school, and am deciding to go in the spring.

The fortunate spot I am in, is that the GI bill will pay for school, and probide a nice stipend. After knocking out the first semester, I will be choosing my major (as of now it is general ed) and mossibly moving to USF as long as I make good grades. I am trying to decide on a major that will pay decently, and that will make me happy. I absolutely love writing (except on this damn iPad), photography, music, and travel. Suffice to say, I am usually pretty damn good at these things as well.

The radiography program I had looked at has 29 credit hours of pre-reqs before you can even apply for it, followed by another 2 years of classes that only start each January. The result of almost 5 years of class is an AS in Radiography. Needless to say IMO this is a bit excessive as the same certifications that accompany the AS takes mearly 2 years at other institutions.

I appreciate your experiences, and would love to hear more. Any other experiences, tips, tricks, suggestions, or questions are more than welcome.

J

Comment

did my graduate work in Clinical Psych....supervise the psychatricatic services for a school district, love my job and have great benefits.

also teach undergrad psych at a local university, nice for extra $$

for me my education was my ticket to a good life
                              '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
                              17 AAU Super Total
                              '16-AAU Hi
                              '15-USPA Metro
                              '15-USPA State
                              '15-AAU HI
                              '14-AAU HI
                              '14-USPA Metro
                              '14-WABDL Sonny's
                              '14-USPA State
                              '14-HI Strongman