long shot but see if you can help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• long shot but see if you can help

I'll start by saying i am a cheap ass when it comes to some things. Polaris wanted about $750 for a roof and a windshield for my side x side. I wasn't going to spend that so decided to make my own stuff. I made the windshield in 2 pieces out of 3/16" acrylic. I leave the bottom part on all the time and put top section on during the cold season. Problem i have is the upper section flex's in the middle where it meets the lower section and creates an air gap and it just looks bad. I fabbed up some brackets to help last year but want to come up with a better fix for holding the upper and lower together. Anyone know of where i might find a small H shaped channel that both parts could slide in? I have looked at lowes and home depot but can't find anything like i'm thinking of. I attached so you can get idea of what i'm working with but doesn't show the problem area well.
    Attached Files
    6/22/13 - 2013 NPC VICTORY CLASSIC
    1st - Novice Men's Lightheavy & Novice overall

Have you tried to just seal the gap? What if you took it apart, laid a bead(you have a few options on what to use here) along the flat surface, and butted the other piece up to it, and then bolted it back together?

Or find a local machine/fab shop. They can likely take a piece of aluminum the length of the windsheild, and groove it to the exact width/depth you need. Probably not cost all that much.

Comment

You're not cheap... We are cheap... Too cheap to buy the window for ours... I have to wear sunglasses all the time
      "This is your life. It is the only one you get. So no excuses, and no do-overs. If you make a mistake or fail at something you learn from it, you get over it and you move on. Your job is to be the very best person you can be and to never settle for anything less."
      ~ Ann Richards, former TX governor

Comment

I have used something like this for something similar - Live in Australia so I have no idea where you can get it.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detai...324848361.html
        "Be gentle in what you do, firm in how you do it."
        Buck Brannaman.

"It is the certainty of punishment that deters crime, not the severity of it."
        'Hanging' Judge PARKER

"Nothing is so powerful as an insight into human nature... what compulsions drive a man, what instincts dominate his action... if you know these things about a man you can touch him at the core of his being."
        ~William Bernbach

Comment

Originally posted by SAHD View Post
          I have used something like this for something similar - Live in Australia so I have no idea where you can get it.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detai...324848361.html
          This is exactly what I was thinking of! Any idea what type of companys use this type of stuff? I found a place online that has a 12' piece for 21.99 but shipping is $203. As i said above i'm cheap so not going that route but sure i can find somewhere closer to me.

Comment

Originally posted by LKQSJH View Post
            This is exactly what I was thinking of! Any idea what type of companys use this type of stuff? I found a place online that has a 12' piece for 21.99 but shipping is $203. As i said above i'm cheap so not going that route but sure i can find somewhere closer to me.
            Here. Under $20 shipped to my address. Comes in 6mm which is probably the closest you are going to get to your 3/16"
            http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/p...ic-h-profile/s

Comment

Originally posted by Imprezivr6 View Post
              Here. Under $20 shipped to my address. Comes in 6mm which is probably the closest you are going to get to your 3/16"
              http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/p...ic-h-profile/s
              Awesome!!! Got it ordered for under $15 shipped. Thanks everyone for the help!

Comment

Any non bodybuilding, non powerlifting, non nutrition, non money making, non health questions and I'm your guy.
                "Be gentle in what you do, firm in how you do it."
                Buck Brannaman.

"It is the certainty of punishment that deters crime, not the severity of it."
                'Hanging' Judge PARKER

"Nothing is so powerful as an insight into human nature... what compulsions drive a man, what instincts dominate his action... if you know these things about a man you can touch him at the core of his being."
                ~William Bernbach

Comment

Working...
                X