SOA - The Final Ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SOA - The Final Ride

There's no way I'm the only person here who is watching the last season of Sons Of Anarchy. This is the most disturbing season yet, IMO. I think Kurt Sutter must be writing this season under the influence some pretty powerful chemicals.

I can't decide which story line is the most disturbing. There's like 3 of them tied for first and all the others running a close second.

1. The Tig-Venus thing
    2. Jax's bloodlust
    3. Juice's new living arrangement courtesy of Marilyn Manson.

Have watched every episode since it started.

1- not ready for the show to be over
    2- so glad someone finally ratted Gemma's sorry ass out
    3- tig/Venus, disturbing as hell, still weird me out
    4- Juice and Marilyn. Not sure what to say.

Comment

Absolutely hate this show. Binge watched the first 5 seasons, enjoyed it, but as is the drawback with binge watching, you fail to let it settle in and once it did I realized how terrible and ridiculous it is. Seasons 6 & 7 are particularly horrible. I continue to watch it weekly and will do so until the bitter end just to see what happens; a pitfall of serialized television. My list of grievances:

Terrible, convoluted writing (ending every episode on a cliffhanger means you can't get your audience to tune in otherwise)

Cheesey dialogue

Unlikeable, one-dimensional characters

Sappy montages (the majority sung by Sutter's wife, Katey Sagal)

Poor acting (especially Hunnam and Sagal who only speak in harsh whispers)

Inept characters

Shock tactics for no reason (a classic Sutterism) (the latest episode's opening fuck montage served NO purpose whatsoever)

Plots that go nowhere and serve no purpose

Stunt casting

Endless, ridiculous, and morose plotlines that continually pile up (the death toll in Charming must be at about 146 billion by now despite having a population of 200,000 or something. Most of the deaths caused by SAMCRO who continually jerk each other off about "making it right" and being "whole." And, of course, no one ever gets arrested because there are only 4 cops in Charming and only one of them gets any screen time)

Every season is full of filler bullshit that makes one wonder "When are they going to get to the fireworks factory?"

Comment

I can't disagree with very much of what you wrote. No matter how biker they try to make her, Jemma is still Peg Bundy.

I binge watched the first 5 seasons as well, but even still - I'm addicted to it and will love/hate it until it's over.

Totally unrelated, but I was at a FFDP/Hell Yeah/Volbeat concert about a month ago and I saw more Bandito's gang jackets than I have ever seen at a concert. One of them even had "Probationary" or some shit on the back.

Comment

And yet arguably the most popular show on television.

I actually do like it though I admit that I like Justified better and I liked Sutter's show 10 years ago just as much as SOA (The Shield).

I like the show but I agree that the writing is a bit all over the place. I see no real reason for the Venus/Tig relationship and I don't like the cop/Chibs fuck relationship, at all. The scene on the police car was terrible and a waste of 5 minutes of television. That relationship makes absolutely no sense.

I don't think there is terrible acting, though. I think Gemma is brilliantly played. I think the meathead white guy with long hair is about as good of an actor as Wesley Snipes (sarcasm) - can't stand the guy but he rarely speaks, thank God.

Otherwise, I like the writing, like the show and think the acting is pretty good.

If you are old enough to remember CHiPS - the 80s cop show, there aren't that many pile ups on the highway but that is what we loved about the show. It isn't supposed to be realistic, it is supposed to be entertaining.

Still, I can't wait for Raylon and Boyd Crowder to go at it in January.

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
          Instagram: @intensemuscle
          YouTube: TEAMSKIP
          TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

The writing is over the top and all over the place - but when you compare it with the writing from CHiPs, or Knight Rider, or any of those 70's-80's crime shows, Sutter is freaking Shakespeare.

I'm hoping the rumors of a True Detective Season 2 materialize into reality.

Comment

Skip,

So glad you're a Justified fan. None of the people I know watch it and it's one of the best shows on TV right now and definitely has the best dialogue. I liken the relationship between Raylan and Boyd to that of Professor X and Magneto. Walton Goggins said in an interview that he plays the scenes between them as if they secretly love each other, while Olyphant says he does the exact opposite. The result is awesome television.

Regarding SOA, I think Sutter has the potential to be a good writer, but is a poor showrunner. He has complete autonomy and it doesn't work. On The Shield, Shawn Ryan was the showrunner. It was his show and he had final say on everything. So more often than not when Kurt turned in a script Shawn would do rewrites. The same way David Chase, David Simon, and David Milch did on their shows.

Sutter and Glen Mazzarra allegedly had a huge fight *SPOILERS* about the circumstances regarding Lem's fate. The grenade was obviously Kurt's idea.

Comment

Originally posted by rainjack View Post
                The writing is over the top and all over the place - but when you compare it with the writing from CHiPs, or Knight Rider, or any of those 70's-80's crime shows, Sutter is freaking Shakespeare.
                LOL

Nooo shit.

Skip

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

I feel the same way about no one around me liking Justified. Even my wife could care less and won't watch it. It is pretty much you, me and Dana Perino. lol I love the show and couldn't agree more that those 2 characters almost enjoy their encounters and there seems to be little to no hatred there. It's a chess game.

How do you know THAT much about these damn shows?? Holy shit.

Skip

Originally posted by FRANK_KOVACIC View Post
                  Skip,

So glad you're a Justified fan. None of the people I know watch it and it's one of the best shows on TV right now and definitely has the best dialogue. I liken the relationship between Raylan and Boyd to that of Professor X and Magneto. Walton Goggins said in an interview that he plays the scenes between them as if they secretly love each other, while Olyphant says he does the exact opposite. The result is awesome television.

Regarding SOA, I think Sutter has the potential to be a good writer, but is a poor showrunner. He has complete autonomy and it doesn't work. On The Shield, Shawn Ryan was the showrunner. It was his show and he had final say on everything. So more often than not when Kurt turned in a script Shawn would do rewrites. The same way David Chase, David Simon, and David Milch did on their shows.

Sutter and Glen Mazzarra allegedly had a huge fight *SPOILERS* about the circumstances regarding Lem's fate. The grenade was obviously Kurt's idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken "Skip" Hill View Post
                    I feel the same way about no one around me liking Justified. Even my wife could care less and won't watch it. It is pretty much you, me and Dana Perino. lol I love the show and couldn't agree more that those 2 characters almost enjoy their encounters and there seems to be little to no hatred there. It's a chess game.

How do you know THAT much about these damn shows?? Holy shit.

Skip
                    I'm Canadian, so I had to look up who Dana Perino is. She's quite the cougar. One of the suggested Google searches when typing her name in is "Dana Perino likes Justified" Haha.

I'm sure you like this scene as much as I do: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fE8I2vLE_0o

Ever since I was a kid I always paid attention to the credits on movies and shows. A few years back I became very interested in the writing, direction, and production of the serialized one-hour dramas that changed television. Behind the scenes stuff, trivia etc. Think of it like this; the way you're interested in nutrition and contest prep, that's how I am when it comes to this stuff. My friends will sometimes make fun of me for it, but I always state that it's no different from how they can name every hockey player on their favourite team, their stats, and what their dog's name is. You have an interest and you become knowledgeable in it. A lot of it comes from reading stuff on the internet or the input of critics and insiders in reviews, articles, and interviews, but I got a thorough understanding of it by reading Difficult Men by Brett Martin.

Comment

I couldn't view that video because it says it is from a different country. ?

My favorite scene precedes this short vid (best line ever) but I couldn't find the full scene without paying for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6oGPSRq5IA

Skip

Comment

Originally posted by rainjack View Post
                        There's no way I'm the only person here who is watching the last season of Sons Of Anarchy. This is the most disturbing season yet, IMO. I think Kurt Sutter must be writing this season under the influence some pretty powerful chemicals.

I can't decide which story line is the most disturbing. There's like 3 of them tied for first and all the others running a close second.

1. The Tig-Venus thing
                        2. Jax's bloodlust
                        3. Juice's new living arrangement courtesy of Marilyn Manson.
                        This is the sickest show I've ever watched but I admit I do love it. And I'm cliche for sure. Jax is my fav! Yum but for your 3 most disturbing storylines I must say I'm enjoying "the juice" sex slave scenario. Lol but that's just me

Comment

Originally posted by Sexybiatch72 View Post
                          ...I must say I'm enjoying "the juice" sex slave scenario. Lol but that's just me
                          I can't tell whether I am more appalled by your choice, or in love.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken "Skip" Hill View Post
                            Still, I can't wait for Raylon and Boyd Crowder to go at it in January.

Skip
                            ^ This, hooked on this show from day one, only show I watch religiously other than the show the Strain that was just on, but I grew tired of it fast.

Comment

Originally posted by Sexybiatch72 View Post
                              This is the sickest show I've ever watched but I admit I do love it. And I'm cliche for sure. Jax is my fav! Yum but for your 3 most disturbing storylines I must say I'm enjoying "the juice" sex slave scenario. Lol but that's just me
                              Yes, that is just you. lol

Skip

Comment

Working...
                              X