Internet: Rise Of The Food Nazi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet: Rise Of The Food Nazi

I just had an incident yesterday after I posted a couple of pics on my business Facebook page. ( I run a bootcamp style group training business)

I always shake my head when people come out of the woodwork to comment on something like they are the gurus of nutrition. Now I'm no expert, and certainly don't claim to be. I don't hold a degree in nutrition or dietetics. But I love the field and find it fascinating, and love to share with my clients what has worked for me from what I've learnt over the last couple of years.

I posted a quick recipe idea I got from a Youtube guy Derek Howes. It was cottage cheese with some jelly crystals. I used lite aeroplane jelly for the example.

An ex client tagged her current PT asking her opinion. I then get 2 girls claiming crap food, "I thought you were promoting good food", chemicals are bad comments. One of them posts a link to a woman's site about jelly being the worst chemical laden food on supermarket shelves. WTF? By the way, this woman's website had no mention of her being a dietitian or nutritionist whatsoever.

Which brings me to the title of my thread. Food nazis. It seems every person with an internet connection who reads a couple of nutrition sites now feel the need to offer their opinion. Not knocking Paleo, but just from observation it seems a lot of paleo dieters are notorious for this. Their soap box seems to be incredibly high!

What's the dumbest thing you've heard either online or in person, someone say regarding diet? And also, have you ever gotten into an argument with these nazis?

That definitely sounds ridiculous. I think one thing that's really important that I've learned from reading this board is to not over-analyse things, and approaching training with a long-term mindset. I'm trying to put in my 2-3 years of work, personally. I think chemicals in food is minutia to be honest, provided you're eating whole foods and busting your ass in the gym, you should be alright. This shit isn't that hard, lol...

Moreover, I've done Paleo, the Raw Food diet, all that shit. I've approached things with that kind of mentality and looked worse than I do now, lol. It was drilled into me that carbs were the devil and if I wanted to lose bodyfat, I had to avoid them to the best of my ability. Completely destroyed by body composition for one and I felt like crap. Moderation in all things is good. Not tarring all Paleo-ers with the same brush but when I was experimenting with that style of eating a lot of them were definitely guilty of being carb-phobic. I'm looking forward to finishing my cut so I can finally get some more carbs down me and crush some iron.

80/20 rule definitely applies. Maybe we'd need to stretch that to 90/10, but you get what I mean.

Comment

Originally posted by Rav Sandhu View Post
      That definitely sounds ridiculous. I think one thing that's really important that I've learned from reading this board is to not over-analyse things, and approaching training with a long-term mindset. I'm trying to put in my 2-3 years of work, personally. I think chemicals in food is minutia to be honest, provided you're eating whole foods and busting your ass in the gym, you should be alright. This shit isn't that hard, lol...

Moreover, I've done Paleo, the Raw Food diet, all that shit. I've approached things with that kind of mentality and looked worse than I do now, lol. It was drilled into me that carbs were the devil and if I wanted to lose bodyfat, I had to avoid them to the best of my ability. Completely destroyed by body composition for one and I felt like crap. Moderation in all things is good. Not tarring all Paleo-ers with the same brush but when I was experimenting with that style of eating a lot of them were definitely guilty of being carb-phobic. I'm looking forward to finishing my cut so I can finally get some more carbs down me and crush some iron.

80/20 rule definitely applies. Maybe we'd need to stretch that to 90/10, but you get what I mean.

Considering the amount of jelly crystals used was not even 1/2 teaspoon, it suddenly became a chemical shitstorm?

I think with these types of people, they deal with absolutes. It's either one way (their way, or their interpretation of what they're using), or not at all. And therein lies the problem. And as people on this forum know, there's always more than one way to skin a cat. And not one diet fits everyone. I could've mentioned on my post on FB how I lost 18kg with Skip, using a Skipload every Sunday, but I think it would've made their heads explode!

Comment

I JUST finished an article about 10 minutes ago titled "The Soccer Mom Diet" for EliteFTS. It is satirical and about this same thing.

There really is no way around it, though. With social media there are going to be people that will think you are a fucking moron whether they know anything or not - and that is on topics from nutrition to politics to ... you name it. It isn't just nutrition.

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
        Instagram: @intensemuscle
        YouTube: TEAMSKIP
        TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Originally posted by Ken "Skip" Hill View Post
          I JUST finished an article about 10 minutes ago titled "The Soccer Mom Diet" for EliteFTS. It is satirical and about this same thing.

There really is no way around it, though. With social media there are going to be people that will think you are a fucking moron whether they know anything or not - and that is on topics from nutrition to politics to ... you name it. It isn't just nutrition.

Skip

So true Skip.

There was a pretty good example of food nazism on FB a couple of months ago out here, when a dietitian posted a pic of an oats ready to drink breakfast food as an alternative for kids who just don't eat in the morning. She then got bombarded by paleo fanatics sent over from a popular tv chef and paleo nut himself's FB page. The comments were into the hundreds with people screaming "how can you recommend this to kids?". This chef had stated on his page that dieticians are paid off by big food companies, thus promoting crap foods. Never mind the fact that registered dieticians study at university for years to earn their degree, only to have it slagged off by fanatical chef. Pretty sad.

Comment

Typical. lol

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
            Instagram: @intensemuscle
            YouTube: TEAMSKIP
            TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Working...
            X