Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right to Die

http://www.wxyz.com/news/29-year-old...-her-own-death

Curious as to what others' thoughts are on this subject. A 29 year old woman was diagnosed with brain cancer and had surgery. Post-op they told her it was more aggressive than they first thought, there is nothing more they can do for her, and she has 6 months to live. Apparently the cancer gets unbelievably nasty as it progresses, so she wants to end her life on her terms. Here entire family (from the sounds of it) picked up and moved with her to Oregon (one of the only states where you can end your life legally) to be with her until she dies.

What do you think about assisted suicide? Why do you feel that way?

*** Note: If your thoughts on the subject are dictated by what it says in the bible, please keep your comments to yourself; not because they aren't valid, but because there is no wiggle room for discussion/debate when that is the foundation for your side of the argument. You can't possibly counter the logic......."I believe in everything this person says. I believe they wrote this book. This book says this."

Also, people can get pretty nasty when religion is discussed, and that certainly is not my intent here.***
    2010 NPC North Star

I am for it. I believe it's her and anyones choice to live & die as they wish.

I've thought a lot about death with my history with cancer, and if it ever comes to the point where I am in this position I hope my choice to die is respected.
    2013 NPC Heartland Classic OKC - 1st Men's Lightheavyweight Novice/Overall

Comment

Being in law enforcement for some time I have seen numerous suicides. Some do a good job and die peacefully. Others do a horrendous job and cause themselves suffering or worse cause injury but survive.

The families get no peace from most of these occurrences.

A terminally ill person should have the choice and be supported.
      "Be gentle in what you do, firm in how you do it."
      Buck Brannaman.

"It is the certainty of punishment that deters crime, not the severity of it."
      'Hanging' Judge PARKER

"Nothing is so powerful as an insight into human nature... what compulsions drive a man, what instincts dominate his action... if you know these things about a man you can touch him at the core of his being."
      ~William Bernbach

Comment

I just saw this on the news about 2 hours ago and it infuriates me when the religious right says this is not ok. In typical fashion, because the RR doesn't believe in something, YOU shouldn't be able to do it, either.

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
        Instagram: @intensemuscle
        YouTube: TEAMSKIP
        TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Completely agree with you guys. It's funny that when I was younger I believed that absolutely any type of suicide was wrong and you would go to hell (12 yrs catholic school ). The older I get and the more things in life I experience (I.e. marriage, kid, general life experience ) the more my thinking becomes logical.

I just don't understand any side of the argument that says "a person suffering horribly, and not coming out of their misery until the day they die, is the right choice. Their life is not theirs to end. Where do we draw the line? Can someone then kill themselves because they shit their pants and are embarrassed? "

I'm incredibly interested to hear the opinion of someone who feels differently!
          2010 NPC North Star

Comment

If a person believes that suicide is a valid option for their situation, a law isn't going to prevent it from happening obviously. I think I'm indifferent. Right or wrong, every person has the ability to make that choice, law or no law. As a Christian, I believe that there are eternal consequences for that decision, but to each their own.

p.s. - I hope that wasn't too "nasty" Macho Man!

Comment

I'm for it, or maybe I should say that I am ok with it. It's a choice I would like to have in such a circumstance, and as far as I'm concerned, I do have whether or not the law and a professional are on my side. I don't see euthanasia and suicide in the same light. It's a different context, which is significant.
              2014 Greater Gulf States 2nd WPD Class B
              2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW
              2009 Houston Pro/Am 1st LHW & Overall (Am)
              2008 Jr. Nationals 5th LHW
              2007 Greater Gulf States 1st LHW
              2007 LA Championships 1st LHW & Overall

Comment

Just play devils advocate here, why would a religious person have a problem with assisted suicide (not trying to be a smart ass).

Comment

In my opnion just because you have a pulse and are sucking air doesn't mean you are "living". I think you should have the choice of when your quality of life hits a certain point to be assisted in death. Others may disagree but if i hit a point of being stuck in a bed shitting on myself and not being coherent enough to even talk to family who is there with no real chance of recovery then its time to pull the plug.
                  6/22/13 - 2013 NPC VICTORY CLASSIC
                  1st - Novice Men's Lightheavy & Novice overall

Comment

For the record, if I had her condition I would want to die too. I think most would....so sad.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffro View Post
                      Just play devils advocate here, why would a religious person have a problem with assisted suicide (not trying to be a smart ass).
                      I think some (big emphasis on SOME) would say that suicide is a poor decision (some would just say "wrong"), and others would say even if it isn't suicide, the person helping her is a murderer.

Personally, I don't see it either way. But what I think doesn't matter. It is HER life. I am a devout Christian, but I honestly think our government is too involved in people's personal lives and decisions. What my religious beliefs are, or what someone else's beliefs are shouldn't drive the law. To some extent... the beliefs of people making laws will affect what laws get made, because there has to be some agreement on right and wrong. But I don't think religion has to be a part of that discussion... and don't really think it should be.

I look at it like this, lets just say that I oppose gay marriage being legal (which, I don't, but lets SAY I do), even though I say it is wrong, I don't want the government telling gay people they can't get married. Why? Because I don't want the same government to tell me I can't read my bible, pray, etc. All of those things are choices that should be allowed, in my opinion. Gay marriage, assisted suicide/euthanasia, reading the bible (or other holy book), praying, etc. all of those are personal choices that should be allowed to all individuals. Just my opinion.
                      My intro thread: http://intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=49855

Comment

Originally posted by MyTMouse View Post
                        I think some (big emphasis on SOME) would say that suicide is a poor decision (some would just say "wrong"), and others would say even if it isn't suicide, the person helping her is a murderer.

Personally, I don't see it either way. But what I think doesn't matter. It is HER life. I am a devout Christian, but I honestly think our government is too involved in people's personal lives and decisions. What my religious beliefs are, or what someone else's beliefs are shouldn't drive the law. To some extent... the beliefs of people making laws will affect what laws get made, because there has to be some agreement on right and wrong. But I don't think religion has to be a part of that discussion... and don't really think it should be.

I look at it like this, lets just say that I oppose gay marriage being legal (which, I don't, but lets SAY I do), even though I say it is wrong, I don't want the government telling gay people they can't get married. Why? Because I don't want the same government to tell me I can't read my bible, pray, etc. All of those things are choices that should be allowed, in my opinion. Gay marriage, assisted suicide/euthanasia, reading the bible (or other holy book), praying, etc. all of those are personal choices that should be allowed to all individuals. Just my opinion.
                        In regards to government involvement - I agree 100%. Leave people alone to make their own decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by 5spotbullseye View Post
                          If a person believes that suicide is a valid option for their situation, a law isn't going to prevent it from happening obviously. I think I'm indifferent. Right or wrong, every person has the ability to make that choice, law or no law. As a Christian, I believe that there are eternal consequences for that decision, but to each their own.

p.s. - I hope that wasn't too "nasty" Macho Man!
                          Thanks for not only jamming your religious beliefs down my throat, but completely undermining and degrading my own beliefs. You sir, are an asshole; a nasty, nasty asshole.
                          2010 NPC North Star

Comment

I don't know 5spot's opinions on a lot of things and I certainly don't want to categorize him with this statement but the truth is that most christians will SAY they think people should make their own decisions and then feel that things like gay marriage should not be legal, drugs like marijuana should not be legal and in this case a lot of christians believe suicide is playing God so it is hard to tell what exactly the religious right actually IS saying because it isn't terribly cut and dry most times. Again, not a shot at 5spot but making a general statement about the RR. This is just one more reason or situation where I get more and more irritated with religion - it most times seems to serve only one purpose and that is to judge people.

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
                            Instagram: @intensemuscle
                            YouTube: TEAMSKIP
                            TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Originally posted by Ken "Skip" Hill View Post
                              I don't know 5spot's opinions on a lot of things and I certainly don't want to categorize him with this statement but the truth is that most christians will SAY they think people should make their own decisions and then feel that things like gay marriage should not be legal, drugs like marijuana should not be legal and in this case a lot of christians believe suicide is playing God so it is hard to tell what exactly the religious right actually IS saying because it isn't terribly cut and dry most times. Again, not a shot at 5spot but making a general statement about the RR. This is just one more reason or situation where I get more and more irritated with religion - it most times seems to serve only one purpose and that is to judge people.

Skip
                              It is like any other group of people. Some say what they believe, and others say what they think people want to hear, whether they believe it or not.
                              My intro thread: http://intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=49855

Comment

Working...
                              X