Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Featured Member: bicep_grind

Say hello to my little frien'...

Ok, he's not at all little. This installment of intensemuscle's featured member is bicep_grind. Matt, thanks so much for taking the time to be interviewed. I hope y'all enjoy!

1. What is your name? Any nicknames?

My name is Matt Steele. People generally call me Matt or Matty. My wife calls me Steele-bum (probably because my ass is the size of the back of a bus, lol) and my mum calls me Matthew when iv been naughty, haha.

2. Where do you live?

I live in Burnley which is the north west of England.

3. What do you do for a living or what are you studying?

My mum and dad own a very respectable gym and i work there too. I am actually qualified in agricultural horticulture though haha. Alittle different i know but i did work on an organics farm for 8-9 years just as i started training.

4. Are you in a relationship? Do you have any kids?

Yep im recently married to my partner of 10 years. We got married last September in Las Vegas on the Olympia weekend which was incredible. We also have a 6 month old baby daughter who was born 12/12/13.

5. What three words best describe you?

Depends if im dieting or not, lol.
    But what you see is what you get with me, im honest, quiet and pretty calm.
    When im dieting im generally snappy as hell, impatient and grumpy, haha.

6. What 5 things would someone see when they walked in your door?

A baby pram, boots and trainers, turn right you get bodybuilding trophies and the tv, turn left and you get a mountain of eggs and a donut maker.

7. Did you play sports in high school or college? Which one(s)?

I played rugby league at high school which is similar to your American football.

8. Have you ever competed in BBing, PL’ing, strongman? Competition highlights?

Yeah i have been competing in bodybuilding since 2008. I came 3rd in the nabba uk in 2011. I came 3rd in the nabba Mr Britain 2012. I won the nabba north west this year. And i took 10th place at the nabba world championships a couple of weeks ago.

9. What motivated you to start lifting? How old were you?

My mum and dad are champion bodybuilders and have had gyms for years so iv always been to bodybuilding shows and gyms all my life. I was not that interested in training while i was in high school but i started lifting at 18-19 and caught the bug. 3years later i did my 1st show. But i think the worst thing in this life is to be normal/average haha so i just wanna be ab-normal.

10. How would you describe your current training protocol?

DC training 3 way split with 2 half hour cardio sessions per week

11. What advice do you wish you would have received (and taken) when you started training?

Probably not to over train. But if i hadn't in the 1st place i wouldn't know not to. And probably that you can diet on other things besides tuna and rice cakes!!!

12. What goals are you working to achieve this year?

Im working with Skip yet again and im hoping to qualify for next years nabba universe. But i gotta get this back looking super freaky in the meantime.

13. How did you discover or develop your current training strategy?

I had been very interested in HIT training but then found DC training which made more sense to me. It suits me very well. I have an extreme personality so my training has to be extreme along with my music.

14. How old were you when you first got your first car & what was it?

I believe i was 17 when i got my 1st car...my mums ford fiesta.

15. What kind of music will be on when you get into the car?

Very severe extreme underground stuff. I listen to grindcore, goregrind, some death and black metal, aslong as its just a fast wall of noise then i will probably like it, lol.

16. What famous person would you like to have dinner with?

Hmm, David Lynch the bizarre film director. I imagine he would order a lump of mud with a twig sticking out of it as a starter. Haha anyone who has seen eraserhead or any other of his strange films will understand.

17. Do you have any special skills or hobbies (i.e., nunchucks, welding, guitar, etc.)?

I play drums. I had a groovy goregrond band necro tampon a fews years ago but since i got serious about competing. Music had to take a back seat unfortunately.

18. What is the ONE thing you always get when you go into Sam’s or Costco?

Hmm chocolate milk...i love it for skiploading.

19. Who is your favorite cartoon character?

The tick!!!

20. What does a typical day of eating look like for you?

Egg white and peanut butter
    Steak and sweet potato fries
    Whey and cerial
    Chicken and bananas
    Chicken and salmon with greens
    Whey and olive oil + greens blended up
    Egg whites and peanut butter

21. How often are you late for work or school

Too often.

22. Have you ever had two dates in one night?

Nope...that would cost me twice as much as normal.

23. What is one thing you could tell us about yourself that we would be shocked to know?

Hmm you already know i played in a sicko goregrind band. Probably some of my lifts?? I back squatted just over 7 plates per side for 5 deep as hell reps and front squatted 6 plates per side for 2 reps...with a partially torn hamstring!!! Also i got my standing and seated barbell shoulder pressing up to 4 plates per side.
    Yep i was 290lbs at the time too and loving it!! Even though i needed an oxygen tank after every set, lol

24. Have you had any major injuries? If yes, how did you deal with it?

Partially torn hamstring/strained tendon that i did twice!! On the same leg curl!!! Do not snap up your reps boys and girl, nice n slow on these. I had a few deep tissue massages on it and trained lighter and with a slower rep speed.
    And i had a pinched nerve in my right tricep which was restricting blood flow into my bicep so i couldn't contract it what so ever. I had acupuncture treatment on it a few times and its now 100%.

25. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you live?

Texas...i know i would just love it there. Hardcore gyms, sunshine and ridiculous portions of red meat, lol.

26. How many drinks does it take before you get drunk?

I don't know, i don't drink. I tried dry white wine 15% for dehydrating the night before i show once. I did 2 full bottles and...nothing, ha i must be the next stage of evolution or something??

27. Do you have any tattoos? What and Where?

None but my wife is covered. Calves, back wrists and a half sleeve.

28. Do you have any piercings? Where?

None but my wife had loads. She had 3 in her lower lip, eyebrow, ears and septum.

29. What's the first thing you notice in the opposite sex?

Depends which way they're facing, haha.

30. What is your favorite lift?

Probably squats

31. What personality traits do you look for in a partner?

Like me, straight forward, uncomplicated and honest. Gotta be able to have a laugh too.

32. What magazine do you read most often?

I don't read magazines too much now but i used to get muscular development.

33. If you could have any one superpower, what would it be?

Haha being able to get contest ready without doing shitty cardio would be super cool!!

34. What motivates you in life?

My wife and daughter. I want to work hard at what im good out to give them the best life possible.

35. Graduating GPA from high school?

Its been a while but i got 10 GCSE's 6 of them were B's and C's and the rest i guess i didn’t much care for, lol.

36. If you died today, would your affairs be in order?

Nope and i wouldn't care if i was dead would I?

37. What is your relationship with cardio? (dating, married, it’s complicated, HIIT, fasted, etc)

A love/hate relationship

38. Last book you read?

Fear and loathing in Las Vegas

39. If time and money were not an issue, what would you do with your life?

Move to Texas, have a big house, not work, spend all day with my family...eat my self to oblivion haha that sort of thing.

40. Why do you come to IntenseMuscle.com everyday?

To see what orders Skip has for me and to check out what's new and interesting in bodybuilding. Some great info on Intense Muscle for sure!!
    2014 Greater Gulf States 2nd WPD Class B
    2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW
    2009 Houston Pro/Am 1st LHW & Overall (Am)
    2008 Jr. Nationals 5th LHW
    2007 Greater Gulf States 1st LHW
    2007 LA Championships 1st LHW & Overall

He's a beast.
    Attached Files
    2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW

Comment

Yup.. a beast and a great read!
      Wanna save $$$ on your next protein purchase? Use TES117 for 5% off your order at www.truenutrition.com.

Comment

Cool profile...
        SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

Haha yup extreme and abnormal indeed.
          Thanks so much for featuring me this month!!

Matt
          NABBA UK 2011 - Novice class 3rd Place
          NABBA BRITAIN FINALS 2012 - Novice class 3rd Place
          NABBA NORTH WEST 2014 - Mr Class 2 - 1st Place
          NABBA WORLD CHAMPS 2014 - Mr Class 2 - 10th Place
          NABBA ENGLAND 2015 - Mr Class 2 - 3rd place
          NABBA UK 2015 - Mr Class 2 - 4th place

Comment

"yea I could take him easy, she will do as I say."

Said no future date of your daughter...ever..

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2
            Last edited by martin_h; 07-01-2014, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by martin_h View Post
              "yea I could take him easy, she will do as I say."

Said no future date of your daughter...ever..

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2
              Haha that's right dude. They better goddamn watch out for me

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by bicep_grind View Post
                Haha yup extreme and abnormal indeed.
                Thanks so much for featuring me this month!!

Matt
                You're very welcome! Congrats again on your recent placing. For those of us who aren't familiar with the NABBA, is the world championships the equivalent of a pro qualifier? Is it a professional league contest?

Are you in offseason mode now? If so, do you have a goal bodyweight to achieve this time? I recall reading that you and Skip discovered that you need to take your weight HIGH in the offseason to grow.
                2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW

Comment

The NABBA world championships has a pro section. The winner of the amateur overall got issued a pro card in sure.
                  The world championships also is special invite only. So its a huge honour to be considered good enough to represent your country.

Currently in offseason...im ranging from 245lbs-238lbs.
                  Now me and Skip are keeping me lean this off season for the 1st time. Purely for the fact that i have a decent amount of muscle built up now. Going crazy heavy will just make my contest prep very agonizing now i think.
                  I'll probably get up to around 255lbs max just so i don't have to kill myself to get the weight off.
                  IM finding it pretty easy holding this condition and weight too which is cool. IM only about 15lbs off contest weight too.

Matt

Comment

That's a very high level of competition!

You mentioned that improving your back is a focus of this offseason. If it's something you can discuss, what is your approach going to be to accomplish this? (That's one of my big projects for offseason as well.)
                    2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW

Comment

Well back hasn't been a main focus for a few years. Its been arms and outer sweeps lately. Before that was delts. Now everything has come up i see my back need some focused attention now.

I follow dc training so mostly its exercise selection. Alot of lower lat rows for example.
                      The methods = for width, everything is paused. Pause at the top and bottom. Once i hit failure i go straight into a 20-30 rep short pulse type movement on the same exercise.

For back thickness = all deadlifts have a 4 second negative and all rows are done in 1 and 1/2 style.
                      So you pull a full rep, then back down half way and pull it back in again... 1 and 1/2's :-)....that counts as one rep by the way.

Matt
                      Last edited by bicep_grind; 07-03-2014, 01:24 PM.

Comment

That all sounds absolutely horrible! You will def grow!!

Were you passionate about music/playing with the band? Or was it just a fun hobby and not too hard to put on the back burner to shift focus on bodybuilding? Now that I'm competing again, I struggle with some guilt now that performing/playing with a band is not getting as much attention. Do you wrestle with this?
                        2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW

Comment

It was like that at 1st.

I sort of fell out with gigging. You take a day off work, to travel to the venu. And at the end you get paid in beer. No good if you don't drink like me, plus i was the driver anyway. And to top it off some of my drum kit always got stolen.

So i diddnt enjoy it much at all, it wasn't fun for me playing live. It always cost me money instead of making it.
                          I was never in it to make money but to have fun. Losing money when you don't have much in the 1st place ain't my idea of fun.

I still listen to the extreme music and i love playing drums when i can.

Haha kind of weird...bodybuilding costs more than anything i can think of...but i just feel you get rewarded with what you put into it.

Matt

Comment

That is well put. I share similar thoughts about it. I enjoy practicing, writing...but not so much the late nights in bars/clubs. What keeps me hanging on, is that music can change people's lives, make it better or at least a bit more tolerable.

I figure one day my body won't let me do what I want to do, and music will still be there waiting for the shift of focus.

Getting back to training, how long did you prioritize arms/quad sweep? And before that delts? Do you typically dedicate an entire offseason to the part(s) you want to bring up and reassess once you are dieted down?
                            2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW

Comment

Yes exactly that...i purely focus on 1-2 muscle groups/parts to bring up per offseason between shows. Or untill i finally feel its up to par with the rest of me.

Typically it will take me a good year of directly bombing a body part before in happy with it, untill i move on to the next.

Delts took me about a year to bring up. Arms and outer sweeps took me about 18 months....and man did they come up!!

I will have about 15 months now in off season to bring up my back. Lets see what i can do :-)

Matt

Comment

Working...
                              X