**Featured Member - SAHD**

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• **Featured Member - SAHD**

Our featured member for April is SAHD. A big thanks to SAHD for taking the time to be interviewed. I thoroughly enjoyed the answers, and hope you guys and gals do too.

Questions for our Featured Member

1. What is your name? Any nicknames?

Can’t post my name, work has anti-social media guidelines I would be breaching, could lose my job. SAHD is the nick name for when I was a Stay At Home Dad for a few years only working part time.

2. Where do you live?

I live in Australia, tropical climate by the sea.

3. What do you do for a living or what are you studying?

I am a Police Officer, 15yrs service and have done a number of things but most recently for the last few years have decided to just work in a watchhouse near my house for ease of family life. I also run police instructing for wrestling/fighting, accoutrements, pistol, Taser, rifle and Simmunition.

4. Are you in a relationship? Do you have any kids?

I have been with my wife for 21 years, married 14 of those, we have 2 kids, both boys.

5. What three words best describe you?

A Handsome, Gifted, Liar – No more likely Funny, Gentle and Easy-going.

6. What 5 things would someone see when they walked in your door?

A large American Staffy, A miniature Sausage Dog, both these will be barking. A row of photo’s including year 12 formal photo’s (Everyone laughs at these), my swimming pool and a kitchen that needs an update.

7. Did you play sports in high school or college? Which one(s)?

I played cricket and soccer in high school but found shooting young and lost interest in all other sports. I had the opportunity to hunt most weekends so did that instead with weights during the week at school.

8. Have you ever competed in BBing, PL’ing, strongman? Competition highlights?

Only ever competed in PL at high school and my son goes to school there now and says he has pointed out my name on the record board to a few friends and teachers. We had him young so many of his teachers were my teachers. I am average at best.

9. What motivated you to start lifting? How old were you?

I was 15 and fat and decided to do something about it. It was a diet thing coming from a poor family that ate too much fried food. Weights was a good discipline but the diet sold me.

10. How would you describe your current training protocol?

I love Skips split. DC gave me my best results but with shift work I can’t recover. Skips protocol has been great. I don’t do all the sets Skip does but do cycle intensity etc. The IM web site is just gold.

11. What advice do you wish you would have received (and taken) when you started training?

I wish someone told me how to eat better and train less. I started as a fat teen so trained 2hrs per day 6 days a week and starved myself. After a few years I really looked lean and fit but I could have put on 10kg’s of muscle during that period.

12. What goals are you working to achieve this year?

I have a few business desires I started that I want completed this year. Work wise I have some training courses coming up to get better qualifications, I aim to pass these with top results. Training wise I will just plod away as I seem to be improving well with Skip’s by-proxy help and the excellent articles by Dr Scott and any titbits from Dante and many others.

13. How did you discover or develop your current training strategy?

Discovered DC when a guy I didn’t like bagged it, that was enough to get me to investigate. That led me to this site and took my weight way up. I then had to do too much shift work and couldn’t recover even from the 3 way.
    I tried a few things then read Skip’s training protocol and tried it. It worked. Thanks for the extra ½ inch on those rarely trained arms by the way.

14. How old were you when you first got your first car & what was it?

I was 16 when I learnt to drive a 3 cylinder 1L engine Daihatsu Charade. My parents gave me this car to drive to University in. I wasn’t a hoon, I wasn’t able to be. Too small to make out in the back seat too.

15. What kind of music will be on when you get into the car?

Probably none, the oldies station is mainly doing interviews with politicians or current news. Also work is only 2minutes and 34seconds from home and that is in bad traffic. My music choice is what my 16yr old downloads because my IPod syncs every time I charge it.

16. What famous person would you like to have dinner with?

My countries Prime Minister Tony ABBOT, I don’t love the guy but he is trying.

17. Do you have any special skills or hobbies (i.e., nunchucks, welding, guitar, etc.)?

Can shoot. Can also teach shooting to anybody. If you have trouble I will fix you. They send me the special cases and bosses every year.

18. What is the ONE thing you always get when you go into Sam’s or Costco?

We don’t have those stores but the equivalent would be K-mart, Coles or Woolworths. I always, always get a shit song stuck in my head for the rest of the day, always.

19. Who is your favourite cartoon character?

Every character from “Almost Naked Animals”

20. What does a typical day of eating look like for you?

Fresh eggs from my chickens with salad, a shake or two at some stage, red meat for at least 2 meals and salad, fruit around the workout. Cooking a roast Lamb leg right now.

21. How often are you late for work or school?

I have never been late for work ever in 22yrs except when a flood trapped me 5ookm from home. I drove on raised train tracks to get back for the next day though. If I am going to be close to my start time people get worried that something has happened as I am always early.

22. Have you ever had two dates in one night?

I vaguely remember the concept of dating. No I have never done that.

23. What is one thing you could tell us about yourself that we would be shocked to know?

Nothing I could say or do would shock you. There are no deep dark secrets.

24. Have you had any major injuries? If yes, how did you deal with it?

At 15 I had my nose torn off. It was hanging by a bit of skin on my forehead. Lost a few teeth some lip and cheek and hurt my eye at the same time. Got the surgery and sat around until they healed me up. Mum and dad had to deal with it until I looked respectable again. They did a great job, I look better now.

25. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you live?

I haven’t travelled enough for a valued judgement. I love the Aussie bush but would like to travel prior to my final settling down.

26. How many drinks does it take before you get drunk?

I can feel one and if I have two I would not drive. Medication affects me strongly as well.

27. Do you have any tattoos? What and Where?

Clean skin sorry.

28. Do you have any piercings? Where?

Had left ear and nipple but don’t wear them ever due to wrestling. The holes are likely healed over by now.

29. What's the first thing you notice in the opposite sex?

The eyes.

30. What is your favourite lift?

Love and hate the Deadlift.

31. What personality traits do you look for in a partner?

Humour, forgiveness, patience.

32. What magazine do you read most often?

The Australian Shooters Journal.

33. If you could have any one superpower, what would it be?

I already have one, I can get pens to work that others have given up on. I am famous at work for it. Also really good at guessing who is calling on the phone when it rings, can often guess exactly how long till I arrive somewhere. Comes from 12 years of giving Comms the ETA to a job.

34. What motivates you in life?

Nothing, life is a story and I am interested in seeing how it ends regardless of the story line, I do not care for money or fame or anything really. I do like love of family and friends I appreciate good health. I get up each day to see what happens.

35. Graduating GPA from high school?

We don’t have that – I scored Top 5% at school.

36. If you died today, would your affairs be in order?

Total disarray, I have planned nothing. My superannuation is big enough to cover expenses but people would be cursing me for all the things I have left unsettled.

37. What is your relationship with cardio? (dating, married, it’s complicated, HIIT, fasted, etc)

I have active sex nearly every night. Serious. Other cardio 2-3 times weekly at present plus I walk the dogs 5 km a few times a week.

38. Last book you read?

I often am reading up to 3 books at a time, I just finished Ned Kelly (Aussie Bushranger). A terrible but amazing criminal who was the first known offender to use bullet proof armour, it weighed 97 lbs.

39. If time and money were not an issue, what would you do with your life?

Travel.

40. Why do you come to IntenseMuscle.com everyday?

One of the few places with great advice and minimal bullshit. The stickies and advice are priceless.
    2014 Greater Gulf States 2nd WPD Class B
    2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW
    2009 Houston Pro/Am 1st LHW & Overall (Am)
    2008 Jr. Nationals 5th LHW
    2007 Greater Gulf States 1st LHW
    2007 LA Championships 1st LHW & Overall

18. What is the ONE thing you always get when you go into Sam’s or Costco?

We don’t have those stores but the equivalent would be K-mart, Coles or Woolworths. I always, always get a shit song stuck in my head for the rest of the day, always.
    Priceless.

24. Have you had any major injuries? If yes, how did you deal with it?

At 15 I had my nose torn off. It was hanging by a bit of skin on my forehead. Lost a few teeth some lip and cheek and hurt my eye at the same time. Got the surgery and sat around until they healed me up. Mum and dad had to deal with it until I looked respectable again. They did a great job, I look better now.
    Coincidentally, my father got kicked in the face by a horse as a child and had a similar injury (nose hanging by skin, lots of reconstructive surgeries). Has it permanently effected your sinuses?

37. What is your relationship with cardio? (dating, married, it’s complicated, HIIT, fasted, etc)

I have active sex nearly every night. Serious.
    I'm so glad I'm not the only one who counts that. Serious.
    2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW

Comment

Always wondered what SAHD meant.
      I always assumed it was egyptian. Clearly I was way off base.

If I wasnt 1000s miles away, I would be asking for shooting lessons, never fired a gun,so I couldnt hit a cows ass with a banjo.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Hi Phoenix, in answer to the sinuses;

I can't smell out of my right nostril but otherwise no problems, no snoring or anything. I think I got a good deal overall as my nose looks better than either of my siblings, I wonder which movie star they had in mind but question why they didn't keep going with the rest of the face.

As far as cardio goes I count any activity requiring fans and air con to prevent overheating, a recovery period afterwards and a drink due to perspiration - therefore I count that activity.

Martin;

I get the Egyptian or similar a bit with that name until people Google SAHD.

I gather England might have ranges to learn to shoot in as they have some good hunting channels. If you lived closer I would teach you to shoot till you were tanned, deaf, had high lead levels in your blood and had shot a pig as big as the ape in your avatar. Then you would curse me for getting you addicted to the best thing since whatever was the best thing before sliced bread (yes it is that good).
        "Be gentle in what you do, firm in how you do it."
        Buck Brannaman.

"It is the certainty of punishment that deters crime, not the severity of it."
        'Hanging' Judge PARKER

"Nothing is so powerful as an insight into human nature... what compulsions drive a man, what instincts dominate his action... if you know these things about a man you can touch him at the core of his being."
        ~William Bernbach

Comment

Is there good surfing or other outdoor activities that are popular in your area? My exposure to Australia is limited to what I've seen in movies and TV. It all seems so wild and beautiful. From what I gather, the wildlife is no joke over there.
          2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW

Comment

No surf beaches as I live on the coast behind some Islands. On the other side of the islands are huge beaches you can just drive on and good surfing, fishing, diving etc. Many many places of this country are empty for hundreds of miles.

All outdoor activities are popular and the area is safe to live in if you are sensible. The wildlife and terrain are no joke though and I carry a good medical kit everywhere.

I also carry as standard some saws and axes, heavy chains and rope, tarps and poles and pegs and water and a fire extinguisher, a good toolkit, independent power source etc as you never know.

I also go places urban dwellers don't so you if you live only in the city you can treat it like any other modern place but go somewhere like:

-27.351310, 144.179557 or here -14.168740, 141.676591

and run into trouble either with water, mechanically or snake and you might be in a world of hurt. No phone, no radio etc. Big place. If you ever come plan on spending a year.
            Buck Brannaman.

'Hanging' Judge PARKER

"Nothing is so powerful as an insight into human nature... what compulsions drive a man, what instincts dominate his action... if you know these things about a man you can touch him at the core of his being."
            ~William Bernbach

Comment

What up SHAD! Nice interview. I thought it was just me when I did my interview but it doesn't sem like folks are very interested in this overall. No worries though, thanks for sharing!!
              "SET NO LIMITS"

"When the knees hurt you just wrap tighter."-Skip

2015 NPC Supplement Express:
              2014 NPC Sun City Regional:
              2013 NPC Sun City Classic:
              2010 NPC Virginia Grand Prix:
              2002 NPC Western Carolina:
              2002 NPC North Carolina State:

Use Discount Code MMH353..

Comment

Hi V1Hype - I am probably guilty of missing some. I tend to hit new posts everyday and if I don't read it that day then it might not come up again.
                Buck Brannaman.

'Hanging' Judge PARKER

~William Bernbach

Comment

I think some folks are here primarily to glean training/diet related stuff. Personally, I find the interviews that are not as muscle/strength related very interesting. It's like getting a glimpse into another world.
                  2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW

Comment

Most of the books I read are about real events and people for the same reason. It is a glimpse into another world. People make their decisions based on their view which is generally a fairly unique perspective due to any factors - Nature/Nurture.

I find some criminals very interesting at work. Their ability to justify all their crimes is fascinating.
                    Buck Brannaman.

'Hanging' Judge PARKER

~William Bernbach

Comment

Working...
                    X