Sitting Was Killing Me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sitting Was Killing Me

With all the issues I have with my hips I finally talked my boss into letting me switch to a standing desk. Sitting at a desk most of the day along with a ride to/from work that is 50 minutes long, my hips and legs feel destroyed by the end of everyday. So far it has been the single best thing that I have done. I have a drafting stool that goes up to 36" so if I want to lean back on something for a few minutes to give my legs a rest it is available to me. Otherwise it is up all day. The one MUST have for this though, a fatigue mat to stand on. All in all, about $600 invested.

This is where I got some ideas from http://www.simplifiedbuilding.com/bl...standing-desk/
    Attached Files
    Save yourself 5% on all your TRUENUTRITION orders by using discount code MTM281

My Training Log Here at IM

"Success is neither magical nor mysterious. Success is the natural consequence of consistently applying the basic fundamentals." -Jim Rohn

nice. did you have any hip flexor issues?

Comment

[QUOTE=mateus;1070268]With all the issues I have with my hips I finally talked my boss into letting me switch to a standing desk. Sitting at a desk most of the day along with a ride to/from work that is 50 minutes long, my hips and legs feel destroyed by the end of everyday. So far it has been the single best thing that I have done. I have a drafting stool that goes up to 36" so if I want to lean back on something for a few minutes to give my legs a rest it is available to me. Otherwise it is up all day. The one MUST have for this though, a fatigue mat to stand on. All in all, about $600 invested.
      QUOTE]

This is awesome.
      I've seen on a variety of different websites a bunch of hype about standing desks, and played it off as just that.
      Just recently I was privileged enough (:P) to be moved to a position where I work at a desk quite a bit now. Lo and behold, the desks have the ability to be raised up and down.
      NOW, I try to stand while at the desk whenever I can. I find that my lower back and knees feel less jacked up than they normally would after a days work.
      It also seems that stretching my Hip Flexors has become much easier.

Comment

Originally posted by steve302 View Post
        nice. did you have any hip flexor issues?
        Still do Hip flexors, TFL, Psoas, etc. etc. Still being punished for when I was younger and dumber and thought I needed to leg press a Buick.

"Success is neither magical nor mysterious. Success is the natural consequence of consistently applying the basic fundamentals." -Jim Rohn

Comment

[QUOTE=hammersmashface;1070274]
          Originally posted by mateus View Post
          With all the issues I have with my hips I finally talked my boss into letting me switch to a standing desk. Sitting at a desk most of the day along with a ride to/from work that is 50 minutes long, my hips and legs feel destroyed by the end of everyday. So far it has been the single best thing that I have done. I have a drafting stool that goes up to 36" so if I want to lean back on something for a few minutes to give my legs a rest it is available to me. Otherwise it is up all day. The one MUST have for this though, a fatigue mat to stand on. All in all, about $600 invested.
          QUOTE]

This is awesome.
          I've seen on a variety of different websites a bunch of hype about standing desks, and played it off as just that.
          Just recently I was privileged enough (:P) to be moved to a position where I work at a desk quite a bit now. Lo and behold, the desks have the ability to be raised up and down.
          NOW, I try to stand while at the desk whenever I can. I find that my lower back and knees feel less jacked up than they normally would after a days work.
          It also seems that stretching my Hip Flexors has become much easier.
          True indeed. I can actually stretch the hip flexors and hammies while standing at the desk and working.

Comment

I wish I could do something like that. I sit 10 hours a day. Lately I have been getting a burning sensation in my hams and I have to get up and walk around. I don't have the liberty to stand up because there are overhead storage places above the computers that others use to put their person items. The top of the monitor is just a few inches from the under part of the storage area.

Comment

[QUOTE=mateus;1070281]
              Originally posted by hammersmashface View Post

True indeed. I can actually stretch the hip flexors and hammies while standing at the desk and working.
              Multi-tasking is a key to being productive

Comment

Originally posted by DEADn View Post
                I wish I could do something like that. I sit 10 hours a day. Lately I have been getting a burning sensation in my hams and I have to get up and walk around. I don't have the liberty to stand up because there are overhead storage places above the computers that others use to put their person items. The top of the monitor is just a few inches from the under part of the storage area.
                Sounds like you work under someones staircase :P
                Perhaps there are some stretches you could do while sitting, to help alleviate some of the discomfort? I know when I'm not at my standing desk, I try and sit with one leg crossed (ankle of right leg, on the knee/quad of left leg and vice cersa). That seems togive me a decent little glute stretch.
                Just an idea.
                Last edited by hammersmashface; 03-13-2014, 03:33 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

Originally posted by DEADn View Post
                  What about something like this....
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mateus View Post
                    What about something like this....
                    The computer will not go that high because of a storage cabinet above it used by someone to put their things in. The distance between the monitor and the under carriage is just a few inches. I can stand up but I have to bend over to type.
                    occasionally I will put my ankle to the opposite knee and turn to the side. The table is a bit low and not made for tall people. I think the chairs we use suck. I often release lever to sit back for a while and then sit straight up so my torso moves around some without the chair being totally still. It is only in the last few weeks that I have noticed some occasional burning. Sometimes for an hour and other times for several hours.

Comment

Thought about trying a kneeling chair but I think it would take a toll on my knees after 10 hours. or maybe 9.5 hours because I do get up to go do things that are not at the desk.

Comment

Go into your disabled loo in work and do fire hydrants/Lunges/Split squat with an iso hold (on the disabled Metal pole they have next to the loo.
                        100% serious.Everyday. Sometimes twice in the day. 10-20 reps depending on how you feel.

I still do this now, in my 9-5 job.

Comment

Been thinking about this too.....thanks for the post.........

Comment

#oldpeopleproblems

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
                            Instagram: @intensemuscle
                            YouTube: TEAMSKIP
                            TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Thanks for posting this!

Where'd you get the stool?

I get a similar problem but it's in my knees; long periods of driving with legs bent at 90 degrees.
                              Max Muscle
                              5020 Katella Ave.
                              Los Alamitos, CA 90720
                              www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

Comment

Working...
                              X