Advice on swollen knee please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on swollen knee please

About 1 month ago I started getting a swollen feeling in my left knee. After leg exercises the left knee gets fluid in it that restricts movement for the next few days. It is just visible. It is not painful but I am aware that it is not right. Ascending and descending stairs is an issue and squatting is out.

By the next week it feels almost fully better but then the cycle repeats. No strength has been lost. It started when I did some extra leg days with high reps so I obviously did something then. It is not an impact injury nor do I think it is a tear. The swelling can be removed by using an Anti-Inflammatory cream or similar but I would rather solve the problem.

I went to the Dr yesterday and he sent me for an X-ray from which he says nothing is wrong with the structure. I am due a cruise so will give it 10 days off or so but am chasing any advice or ideas on recovery / prevention etc. Previous shoulder issues I have had have been fixed with the help and advice of IM users, was hoping for similar advice to recover this knee.

Thanks in advance.
    "Be gentle in what you do, firm in how you do it."
    Buck Brannaman.

"It is the certainty of punishment that deters crime, not the severity of it."
    'Hanging' Judge PARKER

"Nothing is so powerful as an insight into human nature... what compulsions drive a man, what instincts dominate his action... if you know these things about a man you can touch him at the core of his being."
    ~William Bernbach

It sounds like overuse if it came on after you increased leg training frequency. If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? Maybe there's some arthritis in there. I would think that an MRI is what you'd need to get a better idea of what's going on in there, if your cruise doesn't take care of it.

I've dealt (and deal) with knee swelling, particularly after leg workouts, or high volume cardio (when I was able to do that). This has been due largely to improper patellar tracking, which over time damaged the underside of the patella. For me, ice or ice baths have been very helpful, as well as identifying what exercises, rep ranges or types of cardio are the culprit and avoiding them or using sparingly. It seems that once it is swollen, it is more easily insulted, so staying on top of the inflammation is important.

I hope that helps.
    2014 Greater Gulf States 2nd WPD Class B
    2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW
    2009 Houston Pro/Am 1st LHW & Overall (Am)
    2008 Jr. Nationals 5th LHW
    2007 Greater Gulf States 1st LHW
    2007 LA Championships 1st LHW & Overall

Comment

Hey phoenix... Remember months ago you said you were wary about being a female and posting because men are douchebags and cant take advice when it comes from a woman?

I am glad you werent wary and continue to post. You have tonnes to share

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Phoenix -

Thanks for the reply, I am 38.

My leg workouts are Squats, Squats and Squats all ATG. There are a few sets of leg extensions and contractions and various deadlifts would put pressure on the knee but mainly Squatting.

Cardio is walking or bike riding. I don't like to run much as I weigh over 100kg and it can be harsh on all joints. I do coach football for a juniors team so end up doing some running 2 days a week. I am not doing anything at present but when I get back to it I will rotate the cardio to see if one of them assists or inflames the problem.

I use both high rep and low rep squats like sets of 5 on one workout and sets of 10 and up to 20's on other workouts.

I have never strapped or had to use ice before. Are you using Ice just after the workout or on other days as well?

Have you been able to fix your knees? hat regime did you use to fix or manage them?

Thanks again, SAHD.
        Buck Brannaman.

'Hanging' Judge PARKER

"Nothing is so powerful as an insight into human nature... what compulsions drive a man, what instincts dominate his action... if you know these things about a man you can touch him at the core of his being."
        ~William Bernbach

Comment

Hey SAHD, you're welcome.

If you've been pushing your body hard since your teens, then 38 is no spring chicken as far as your joints are concerned, though of course some people are blessed with more forgiving joints than others. From the info you provided, my best guess is that you "insulted" your knees when you increased the frequency and volume of leg training, recently. In my experience, when the knees are already a bit swollen, it is easier to further the insult. IMO, getting the inflammation under control is of utmost importance. From there, you may have to test out what a healthier limit is for your approach to legs. If the problem persists, then I would go for the MRI. It could be torn cartilage, arthritis, improper tracking, etc.

Currently, I more often than not use the ice treatments reactively... When the swelling is causing problems with everyday stuff (walking, stairs), I buckle down and employ it. If I fail to do this after the initial insult, it may well be an off day when I use it. When I competed and was doing daily cardio, however, I iced every night before bed, which usually had it under control for the next a.m. session. After leg workouts in the p.m., ice went on as soon as I had the opportunity, and again before bed. Before bed is the most convenient time for me, though starting immediately after the insult would probably be more effective.

@martin, thanks for the supportive words. I hope to be of help here.
          phoenix13
          OG Mod of all Mods
          Last edited by phoenix13; 05-05-2015, 01:52 PM.
          2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW

Comment

Thanks for the advice,

if you don't mind asking, what were / are the exercises that you find most aggravating to your knee?

(Also when your oldest child drives you places in his car you instantly know you are not a spring chicken.)
            Buck Brannaman.

'Hanging' Judge PARKER

~William Bernbach

Comment

With age comes wisdom, or so they say. I'm still trying to figure out who they are.

Currently the most aggravating exercises for my knee are hack squats and leg press machines that have a fixed/non-hinged foot plate (I hope that makes sense). Those have more restrictive paths of motion. I do much better with exercises that allow more freedom to find a groove that works for me.
              2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW

Comment

The machines make sense, not back to training yet but went and got my feet looked at and the left foot is supinating way more than the right for some reason. Got new shoes and inserts for the old shoes. These have reduced the pain almost whilst testing out the various models.

I will do my first leg session on Wed.
                Buck Brannaman.

'Hanging' Judge PARKER

~William Bernbach

Comment

That's good news about the inserts. It crossed my mind over the weekend, and I wanted to add... Most of what I mentioned is how I deal with the symptoms and avoid further aggravation. That's not tackling it from the source of the problem though. Something I've had to work on, and continue to pay attention to, is making sure I am in alignment and bringing up any imbalance between my left and right legs, hips and feet. You mention what I would consider an imbalance in your feet. That could be due to an imbalance further up to the source of motion. Things were looking hopeless for me until I started receiving chiropractic treatment. Then, things started falling into place from a structural level, and I furthered progress by working on the muscular imbalances.
                  2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW

Comment

I had a similar issue years ago and it was due to tight IT bands which actually pulled on the kneecap causing a tracking problem. Foam roller and stretching took care of it.
                    -KidRok-
                    "...because I won't accept that I can't."

www.https://Truenutrition.com/
                    5% OFF with Discount Code "FXL222"

https://www.facebook.com/hopsfitnessxl

Comment

Originally posted by KidRok View Post
                      I had a similar issue years ago and it was due to tight IT bands which actually pulled on the kneecap causing a tracking problem. Foam roller and stretching took care of it.
                      I think this is exactly what I have going on.

I never have knee pain, or visible swelling, but my right knee feels weird, and like there is some amount of swelling in there. I need to get more aggressive with IT band rolling.

Comment

Working...
                      X