March Featured Member: v1hyp!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• March Featured Member: v1hyp!!

Our featured member for March is v1hpy. Max, thanks for taking the time to be interviewed! I lol'ed at #36.

1. What is your name? Any nicknames?

· Malcolm Holliday (Max)

2. Where do you live?

· I currently live in El Paso, TX as a result of being in the Military.

3. What do you do for a living or what are you studying?

· Military (U.S Army). I’ve been in now a little over 20 years now and will be retiring in Jul-Aug of next year.

4. Are you in a relationship? Do you have any kids?

· Yes, Kris my wife. Been married for 10 years (2nd marriage). I have 3 children (all girls) ages 23, 16 & 9. The first two are from my first marriage.

5. What three words best describe you?

· Well that would depend on who you’d ask. If you’d ask my Soldiers, I’m sure they would have a few choice words for me..lol Let see, in uniform; Disciplined, professional and dedicated. Out of uniform (off the clock), funny, devoted and stubborn.

6. What 5 things would someone see when they walked in your door?

· Welcoming home.
    · Dog toys everywhere.
    · Two crazy dogs being chased by a nine year old who wants to do dress them up.
    · Supplements on the kitchen counter.
    · Kid’s homework on the dining room table.

7. Did you play sports in high school or college? Which one(s)?

· Played Football in high school.

8. Have you ever competed in BBing, PL’ing, strongman? Competition highlights?

· Did a few BB shows as a teenager (nothing worth mentioning) as well as a few as an adult. My best showing was in 02 where I won the over 35 lightweight class as well as the over 35 overall title. I’ve listed the rest below.

2013 NPC Sun City Classic: 5th Over 40
    2010 NPC Virginia Grand Prix : 2nd Over 40 & 4th Open Middle Weight
    2002 NPC Western Carolina : 1st Over 35 Light Weight & Overall Masters
    2002 NPC Junior, Masters & Teen North Carolina State: 3rd Over 35 Light Weight.

9. What motivated you to start lifting? How old were you?

· I remember picking up a muscle magazine and seeing Franco Columbu inside and getting hooked! I think I was like 15 years old at the time.

10. How would you describe your current training protocol?

· I’ve been playing around with a few different programs this month. Not all in one workout mind you but in separate workouts throughout the week. One day DC, one day MI40 and another with a John Medows routine. I’ve been hitting it this way four times a week now so far, its been going pretty well. Not sure if I’ll continue with it into March. March starts my contest prep so will see.

11. What advice do you wish you would have received (and taken) when you started training?

· I wish someone would have explained the whole concept of proper nutrition and training to me a back then.

12. What goals are you working to achieve this year?

· This year I’m working on getting closer to finishing my associates degree in exercise science through ISSA. I’m also working on financially preparing myself for retirement next year. As far as BB goes, I’m looking at hitting possible two shows this year and my goal there is to come in a lot better shape that I did last year with a win in each show!

13. How did you discover or develop your current training strategy?

· I’ve used (at various times) all three programs throughout the last few years.

14. How old were you when you first got your first car & what was it?

· I think it was when I was 18 years old at the time and it was Ford 150 Econ-Van. With wall to wall carpeting in it. Man, did I have a blast with that thing!

15. What kind of music will be on when you get into the car?

· Rock from the eighties and nineties era.

16. What famous person would you like to have dinner with?

· To tell you the truth, I can’t think of any famous person that I would like to have dinner with. I would however, like to sit down with John Medows, Shelby Starnes, Dante and Skip at one table and just listen what they all have to say!

17. Do you have any special skills or hobbies (i.e., nunchucks, welding, guitar, etc.)?

· I love to Bass fish if that counts? But unfortunately, there isn’t anywhere to fish here in El Paso for anything.

18. What is the ONE thing you always get when you go into Sam’s or Costco?

· We don’t go there very often so that’s a hard one.

19. Who is your favorite cartoon character?

· Johnny Bravo and the Tick

20. What does a typical day of eating look like for you?

· On a workout day;
    1. Pro, fat & Veg
    2. Pro & Carbs
    3. (workout)
    Intra W/Carbs about ¾ into the workout
    4. Pro & Carbs (post workout)
    5. Pro & Carbs
    6. Pro, Fat & Veg
    7. Pro, Fat & Veg
    · On Non-Trng Days: About the same but less carbs and more protein.

21. How often are you late for work or school?

· Never

22. Have you ever had two dates in one night?

· No but I’ve banged two different girls (at different times) on the same day. Does that count? Now before you get all judgmental on me, it was a long time ago when I was young dumb and full of,, well you know the rest.

23. What is one thing you could tell us about yourself that we would be shocked to know?

· Nothing really. I’m not all that exciting? I pretty much work, do homework, spend time with the family, go to bed and do it all over again.

24. Have you had any major injuries? If yes, how did you deal with it?

· I’ve been pretty luck as an adult and have stayed quite health most of my life. Although as a young kid I was hit by a car and almost died. I’ve also broken my arm twice growing up as well but that’s about it.

25. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you live?

· Not sure but it would have to have a tropical beach nearby. Like right outside the back door!

26. How many drinks does it take before you get drunk?

· Again, I’m not all that interesting but I don’t really drink all that often so a nice black germen beer will do the trick for me. Now when and if I ever get the itch to really drink, I prefer Tequila!!

27. Do you have any tattoos? What and Where?

· Yes, I have three. One at the base of my neck which is Celtic in design, one on my upper left pec which is kind of a 3-D design of the US Flag just under my skin and my wife’s first name on my left wrist.

28. Do you have any piercings? Where?

· No

29. What's the first thing you notice in the opposite sex?

· Well that depends on how much clothing they’re wearing!! I’ve always like a nice set of calves on a women.

30. What is your favorite lift?

· Any type of bench movement is cool. I’ve always seemed to be strong (for me) in that area. Yesterday I did 95lb DB Bench Press for 16 rest pause reps.

31. What personality traits do you look for in a partner?

· Honesty
    · BIG BOOBS
    · Easy going nature
    · Athletic
    · BIG BOOBS
    · Caring attitude
    · Did I mention BIG BOOBS yet?? (just kidding)
    · Good work ethic
    · Good self esteem/self-worth
    · Self sufficient

32. What magazine do you read most often?

· No time for magazine reading, only text book for homework!

33. If you could have any one superpower, what would it be?
    · The ability to fly

34. What motivates you in life?

· Family (income, stability)
    · Self Gratification (health, appearance)

35. Graduating GPA from high school?

· I have no idea,, low B maybe?

36. What is your relationship with cardio? (dating, married, it’s complicated, HIIT, fasted, etc)

· It’s like child support. I don’t necessarily like having to do but it’s part of the package.

37. Last book you read?

· Third book in the seeker series

38. If time and money were not an issue, what would you do with your life?

· I think I would do pretty much everything I’m doing now minus having to work. I would also like to open up a gym. Not so much for the financial aspects of it but just to be able to set a gym up with a lot of really cool equipment and have it at my disposal anytime I wanted to train.

39. Why do you come to IntenseMuscle.com everyday?

· I like the information provided on here as well as the people that frequent the site. I’ve met some great folks and made some relationships. I can’t make that statement with any other site I’ve been on so far!
    2014 Greater Gulf States 2nd WPD Class B
    2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW
    2009 Houston Pro/Am 1st LHW & Overall (Am)
    2008 Jr. Nationals 5th LHW
    2007 Greater Gulf States 1st LHW
    2007 LA Championships 1st LHW & Overall

Max, great interview! With regards to training, do you use each program for a specific purpose? Do you feel one has an advantage over the other for a particular goal?

Also, I've read about the basics of the MI40, but can you provide a little more detail about it and what kind of results you've seen from it?
    Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
    2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
    2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
      Max, great interview! With regards to training, do you use each program for a specific purpose? Do you feel one has an advantage over the other for a particular goal?

Also, I've read about the basics of the MI40, but can you provide a little more detail about it and what kind of results you've seen from it?
      MF, what’s up! I’m glad you liked the interview. In regards to my current training program, I would love to sound really smart here and lay out a whole bunch of reasons as to why I went in the direction I did but unfortunately, I can’t pull that off as easily as you and many others on this board. So I’ll do my best not to sound too stupid. When selecting a training program, I feel it’s important to choose one that’s going to challenge the system and push it to the point of change and thus (hopefully) new growth. In the past, I have used all three of these routines separately and with good results. After taking two weeks off to recharge, I was sitting down stairs in the living room trying to come up with a new approach/program. When all of the sudden, the idea sort of just came to me. Because of the intensity of the program, my joints and muscle groups have seem to be a tad more sore than usual but nothing major overall.Strength seem to be going up with this program nicely and I don't feel like I'm shrinking in anyway either. I think I will continue to use this routine into March (while prepping) and see where it takes me.

As far as the MI40 program, I have to say I really enjoyed using it. It has introduced me to a whole new level of pain (the good kind) as well as provided me a way to better develop the mind/muscle connection I think is vital for growth. I’ll let Ben give you better explanation of the program. If your looking to change things up every now and then, I would recommend you give it a try for six weeks and let me know what you thinks

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75fGCeanoDM[/YOUTUBE]
      v1hyp
      Intense Muscle Competitor
      Last edited by v1hyp; 03-04-2014, 02:10 AM.
      "SET NO LIMITS"

"When the knees hurt you just wrap tighter."-Skip

2015 NPC Supplement Express:
      2014 NPC Sun City Regional:
      2013 NPC Sun City Classic:
      2010 NPC Virginia Grand Prix:
      2002 NPC Western Carolina:
      2002 NPC North Carolina State:

Use Discount Code MMH353..

Comment

Great interview.

Max is a stand up guy and I want to say thank you for your service to this great country. We need more like you!

-T
        2014 USPA Nevada State / Regional Championships - 1,168 total

2014 USPA National Championships - 1,235 total

2014 Village Gym Meet - 1,260 total

2015 USPA Camp Pendleton Meet - 1,235 total

Journal: http://intensemuscle.com/showthread....80#post1112980

Comment

Originally posted by TLopez View Post
          Great interview.

Max is a stand up guy and I want to say thank you for your service to this great country. We need more like you!

-T
          Thanks TLopez, !!
          "SET NO LIMITS"

Comment

What does v1hyp stand for? (In my mind, it's something related to fast cars.)
            2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW

Comment

I dunno.. Ben is smart guy but the MI40 thing doesn't seem to revolutionary... Hey, but if it works, awesome! I'm just not gonna pay for it lol
              Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
              2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
              2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Originally posted by phoenix13 View Post
                What does v1hyp stand for? (In my mind, it's something related to fast cars.)
                Nothing really. The first time I ever got on to yahoo chat (I think it was) I let the system pick a name for me and it came up with v1hyper. I liked it so I simply kept it. Since its inception, its been shortened to what it is today, v1hyp.
                "SET NO LIMITS"

Comment

Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
                  I dunno.. Ben is smart guy but the MI40 thing doesn't seem to revolutionary... Hey, but if it works, awesome! I'm just not gonna pay for it lol
                  I agree with you but I think it boils down to if you feel the information being offered is something you find interesting or not. If you do then I'm sure paying for it wouldn't be an issue. If I'm not mistaken, you've worked with Scott for a while and have to at some point paid for the information he gave you. I understand what your saying so don't get offend here. I'm not trying to start any shit. I also called upon Scott for assistance once as well. For me, I was looking for something different than what I was currently doing and found Ben site and the information/program interesting. I was fortunate enough to come across it when has was offering it for half price so it wasn't all that expensive at the time.
                  "SET NO LIMITS"

Comment

What do you plan to do after you retire from the military?
                    2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW

Comment

Hey Phoenix13,

The plan is to stay in Texas and retire in San Antonio. I'm going to try and get back into the government system as a personal trainer working on one of the military installation throughout San Antonio area. I've already obtained my personal Certification through ISSA and I'm currently working on Associates Degree in Exercise Science with them as well.
                      "SET NO LIMITS"

Comment

Congratulations on your certification, and good luck finishing the degree. That sounds like it's right up your alley. Now, you just have to find some good spots to fish over there!
                        2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW

Comment

Originally posted by phoenix13 View Post
                          Congratulations on your certification, and good luck finishing the degree. That sounds like it's right up your alley. Now, you just have to find some good spots to fish over there!
                          Thanks, the closest spot to fish is about two hours away and I just don't see the point in traveling that far just to sit on the bank and fish. I'll be living in San Antonio, TX by the middle of next year and form what I've heard there are quite a few spots to wet my line at!
                          "SET NO LIMITS"

Comment

Working...
                          X