Featured Member...TRUCELT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Featured Member...TRUCELT

We are going to kick off the new and improved Featured Member series with Trucelt! Jason, thank you so much for taking the time to answer the interview questions. It's a pleasure to get to know more about you.

Questions for our Featured Member

1. What is your name? Any nicknames? Not really….back in the day it was Jay Rob or the “Dread Pirates Roberts”, (that’s a Princess Bride reference)

2. Where do you live? Right outside Honolulu Hawaii

3. What do you do for a living or what are you studying? I supervise the psychiatric services for a school district which includes 9 staff based at 7 schools. I am also an adjunct faculty member at a local university and teach undergrad psychology.

4. Are you in a relationship? Do you have any kids? Married to my beautiful wife Cori and we have a wonderful little girl Leah.

5. What three words best describe you? Persistent, motivated and reasonable.

6. What 5 things would someone see when they walked in your door? Right now? A big ol’ Christmas tree, and LOTS of Christmas decorations….the family room and past that the kitchen and probably somebody sitting at the kitchen table, we always seem to have somebody stopping by.

7. Did you play sports in high school or college? Which one(s)? I played football and ran track in high school. Okay at football, very good at track, ran the 100, 200 and 400 meter and went to the State Championship (Illinois) my junior and senior years.

8. Have you ever competed in BBing, PL’ing, strongman? Competition highlights? Competed in both BB’ing and PL’ing. Highlights for BB’ing was winning the overall at two shows and in PL’ing competing and not getting injured!!

9. What motivated you to start lifting? How old were you? Started lifting when I was 13 just the plastic and cement weights to get ready for football……also have always been a huge comic book fan and wanted to look like Thor, Wolverine, Captain America etc….

10. How would you describe your current training protocol? I use 5/3/1 for my base on the big 3 and use my own asst exercises. Right now I’m doing alot of Christian Thibedeau’s “Layer Aproach”.

11. What advice do you wish you would have received (and taken) when you started training? Work your posterior chain just as hard as your squats/leg presses etc, just compete don’t wait, and finally DELOAD DAMMIT!

12. What goals are you working to achieve this year? Well here’s the competitions I plan on entering:
    2/22/14- Warrior Dash
    3/22/14- Spartan Sprint
    4/5/14- USPA Full Power Meet
    7/13/14- WABDL Sonny’s Push/Pull
    8/23/14- AAU Raw Nationals

Ya I know that’s a lot.That’s the plan

13. How did you discover or develop your current training strategy? 5/3/1 is a commercially available program and its simplicity and Jim Wendler’s writing style just clicked with me.

14. How old were you when you first got your first car & what was it? 17 and it was a Chevy Citation

15. What kind of music will be on when you get into the car? None I am a die-hard sports radio guy so either ESPN or NBC Sports

16. What famous person would you like to have dinner with? Language barrier aside, (I don’t speak Aramaic) it would have to be Christ.

17. Do you have any special skills or hobbies (i.e., nunchucks, welding, guitar, etc.)? None really, but I am pretty damn good at reading people even with just a small sample size.

18. What is the ONE thing you always get when you go into Sam’s or Costco’s? Typical meathead response but true: frozen chicken breasts.

19. Who is your favorite cartoon character? Hmm, cartoon or comic book? If its comic book I’d say Thor and cartoon, probably Peter Griffin from “Family Guy”.

20. What does a typical day of eating look like for you? I definitely don’t do the “6 meals/day” thing. Obviously, I have being that I’ve done over a dozen BB’ing shows but it’s not the norm for me. I train pretty early usually between 5:30 and 6:00am so I have pre-workout drink with 10-15g/BCAA’s, and an intra-drink. Breakfast is whey with oatmeal and fruit. Lunch is the extra portion my wife cooked from last night’s dinner, about half the time I’ll have some Greek yogurt around 3pm and dinner is whatever my wife cooks. Luckily, she’s a fantastic cook and makes pretty healthy meals. If I was going to prepare for BB comp, I would count macro’s, eat by the clock and be extremely regimented.

21. How often are you late for work or school? No hardly ever, early is on time and on-time is late is something I live by.

22. Have you ever had two dates in one night? Yup.

23. What is one thing you could tell us about yourself that we would be shocked to know? I could tell you a lot of sh*t that would shock you but I won’t!

24. Have you had any major injuries? If yes, how did you deal with it? Lots of tendinitis and minor stuff also a ruptured L-5/S-1 from a car wreck that required surgery and a torn pec that had to be surgically reattached. Time, rehab and a positive attitude

25. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you live? Hawaii and if not there probably San Diego

26. How many drinks does it take before you get drunk? Not much, I have a drink with dinner every night (Sam Adams, Bass, Guinness, etc) but maybe a few times a year do I have MORE than one

27. Do you have any tattoos? What and Where? Back, just a tribal design

28. Do you have any piercings? Where? Had two in one ear, and one in the other. Long since closed

29. What's the first thing you notice in the opposite sex? Their face, a good smile. Of course if they aren’t facing me the answer is different….

30. What is your favorite lift? Bench press and deadlift

31. What personality traits do you look for in a partner? Pretty, compassionate, a sense of values, humble…..I think “nice” is highly underrated.

32. What magazine do you read most often? None I do subscribe to Flex though

33. If you could have any one superpower, what would it be? Flight

34. What motivates you in life? Taking care of my family, being the best husband and father I can be, making sure if I were to disappear that those two people would never question what was important to me

35. Graduating GPA from high school? 3.75

36. If you died today, would your affairs be in order? Yes my family would be taken care of.

37. What is your relationship with cardio? (dating, married, it’s complicated, HIIT, fasted, etc) off and on again

38. Last book you read? Blink by Macolm Gladwell

39. Why do you come to IntenseMuscle.com everyday? The sense of family
    2014 Greater Gulf States 2nd WPD Class B
    2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW
    2009 Houston Pro/Am 1st LHW & Overall (Am)
    2008 Jr. Nationals 5th LHW
    2007 Greater Gulf States 1st LHW
    2007 LA Championships 1st LHW & Overall

What does Trucelt mean?
    Attached Files
    2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW

Comment

I met Jason while I was in Hawaii for work about 3 weeks ago and got to train with him. He is a true gentleman with the intensity of someone half his age. His family is genuine and caring and I was welcomed into their home as if I were family. Just can't say enough good things about about them.

And this: How old were you when you first got your first car & what was it? 17 and it was a Chevy Citation..... Sorry. lol
      2014 USPA Nevada State / Regional Championships - 1,168 total

2014 USPA National Championships - 1,235 total

2014 Village Gym Meet - 1,260 total

2015 USPA Camp Pendleton Meet - 1,235 total

Journal: http://intensemuscle.com/showthread....80#post1112980

Comment

I am sooo lazy.

Comment

That 2nd pic, you look amazing...And huge!
          WTF is a citation? I bet you never got a citation while driving a citation..
          2005 HOA Natural Classic
          2006 OCB Midwest
          2007 ABA Natural Illinois
          2008 HOA Natural Classic
          NPC Mid-Illinois
          NPC Midwest Open
          NPC Natural Grand Prix
          2012 NGA Clash of the Titans
          USPA Illinois State
          NGA Heart of America
          NGA Clash of the Titans

SAVE 5% ON YOUR NEXT ORDER FROM www.truenutrition.com order - Use Code RHB606

Comment

@Phoenix-

its true celtic...my mom is a first generation american and my grandparents are from ireland (Cork and Donegal to ne exact~)

@Tony-
            right back at you brother!

@Rich-that was my best look i think...not real full bu dried out to the max. 176lbs!!! i lived alone and was single during that prep.

'17 USAPL Chicago Raw
            17 AAU Super Total
            '16-AAU Hi
            '15-USPA Metro
            '15-USPA State
            '15-AAU HI
            '14-AAU HI
            '14-USPA Metro
            '14-WABDL Sonny's
            '14-USPA State
            '14-HI Strongman
            '13-USPA
            '13-WABDL Sonny's
            '13-USPA State
            '13-AAU HI
            '11-USPA Metro
            '10-NPC Stingrey
            '09-NPC Islands
            '09-NPC Stingrey
            '09-ABA Islands
            '02-ABA Islands
            '02-ABA IronWorks
            '01-NPC Paradise Cup
            '01-ABA Olympia
            '01-ABA Islands
            '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
            '00-INBF Musclefest
            '98-NGA Ill
            '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

Nice write up, its funny how I've gotten to know you over the years, whether we ever meet or not feels like I've known you forever.

Comment

Trucelt!

Nice write-up.
                http://www.jdsgym.com/

https://www.facebook.com/JDsGymsaintlouis

Comment

That was a good read...and agree with Robb...feels like I've known you for a long time.

And, my family too is from Cork.

-s
                  "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a pussy."

"Carry 24/7 or guess right."

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

"993 yo f9t[n9y[I8itineraryBMiy v][/t u 98 oh 99 u]y8y u[/hy jyip NH j o have I h"

Comment

Did you tear your pec prior to either of those pictures? How is the pec now? Do you hafta go easy, I know you are powerlifting, so how have you changed ur training if you have?
                    STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

@Robb-well i have known you (virtually or otherwise for a long-ass time!

@Schmoove- another guy i try to emulate!

@Slide- i think we starting chatted a year or so after i joined here so---coming up on 7 years?

@Steel- those are both pre back surgery and pre- pec surgery. Pec looks pretty good but im curious to see how it looks if i dieted back down to 5% again....i dotn have to go easy BUT i totally revamped the way i benched and do chest movements in general --no more high elbow placement now they are not totally tucked but they are half-way between elbows flared and tucked, also shoudlers are squeezed and tucked and sternum pushed up high.
                      I have less issues with the actual pec and more with the shoulder mobility on that side as the pec is shortened. Also squatting bothers my shoulder more than benching. Its hard to for me to grip in tight/elbows pointed down.

i also did a lot of reverse grip benching after i got hurt which seems to place ALOT less stretch on the pec and is easier on the shoudlers (for me). i would do i more often it i had a partner. Also i did alot of floor presses also which are great
                      '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
                      17 AAU Super Total
                      '16-AAU Hi
                      '15-USPA Metro
                      '15-USPA State
                      '15-AAU HI
                      '14-AAU HI
                      '14-USPA Metro
                      '14-WABDL Sonny's
                      '14-USPA State
                      '14-HI Strongman
                      '13-USPA
                      '13-WABDL Sonny's
                      '13-USPA State
                      '13-AAU HI
                      '11-USPA Metro
                      '10-NPC Stingrey
                      '09-NPC Islands
                      '09-NPC Stingrey
                      '09-ABA Islands
                      '02-ABA Islands
                      '02-ABA IronWorks
                      '01-NPC Paradise Cup
                      '01-ABA Olympia
                      '01-ABA Islands
                      '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
                      '00-INBF Musclefest
                      '98-NGA Ill
                      '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

Also forgot to ask, how did you tear the pec?
                        STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

Dang you still remember your HS GPA? :o
                          #docswholift
                          PGY-1 FM
                          "No idea is above scrutiny and no people are beneath dignity." -Maajid Nawaz

Comment

How will your training change, if at all, between events? More specifically, between the April and July shows after competing three months in a row (Feb/Mar/Apr)?

-s
                            "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a pussy."

"Carry 24/7 or guess right."

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

"993 yo f9t[n9y[I8itineraryBMiy v][/t u 98 oh 99 u]y8y u[/hy jyip NH j o have I h"

Comment

I have a fascination with super high achievers and sleep habits. Would you mind sharing what kind of sleep you get on a regular basis? And has that changed over the course of your life?
                              2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW

Comment

Working...
                              X