Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Decisions, Decisions, what PT School to Pick!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Decisions, Decisions, what PT School to Pick!

    Whats going on IM.

    Well for those who did not hear, I was in Physical Therapy School over at USF in Tampa and stayed in the Program for 2 months before leaving. The program was garbage and the way they treated me was as well. I could go on all day about it but I have ranted enough about it.

    I have now been accepted to two other graduate programs. Nova Southeastern University and New York Institute of Technology. I have to make a decision to choose which one to attend. At this point, New York would be a more expensive school however after my time at USF, I really don't care about the money. I want to go to a program where they care about you as an individual and don't look at you as an investment. I want a program I can succeed at, and these two would be it.

    So money being aside, I have visited NYIT and love the staff. They make you feel at home, part of the family, care about your well being and you succeeding in the program. Beautiful area as well and I have the extra bonus of training at Ben Francis Gym (This is irrelevant).

    Nova has a beautiful campus as well and from what I have heard about the program has been nothing but positive. Talked to a girl who recently graduated and she loved it. Said pretty much everything that I experienced at NYIT.

    So the hard part is to choose which one. I don't know where to start. I have lived in FL my entire life and have my family here. But I don't want to miss out on NY if that program best fits me. Anyones feedback would be appreciated, I am not looking for someone to tell me go here or there but I have an open mind. Just looking for a way to approach this situation for those who have been in one like this or similar.

  • #2
    Is money an issue or they about the same? How about living costs?

    How's the demand for PT's in the 2 areas?

    Ask PTAaron he helped me a lot when I had questions.
    Max Muscle
    5020 Katella Ave.
    Los Alamitos, CA 90720
    www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

    Comment


    • #3
      Are you in PT school or looking to go to PT school?

      Money is about the same for tuition, however cost of living is higher in New York, especially Old Westbury.

      If I attended NYIT I would only go there for school and not to work there. I would move back to FL lol. But it seems all schools have 100 percent rate of finding work after graduation so that is no issue.

      Thanks, I will get in touch with him!


      Originally posted by theroymccoy View Post
      Is money an issue or they about the same? How about living costs?

      How's the demand for PT's in the 2 areas?

      Ask PTAaron he helped me a lot when I had questions.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Herculeus View Post
        So money being aside, I have visited NYIT and love the staff. They make you feel at home, part of the family, care about your well being and you succeeding in the program. Beautiful area as well and I have the extra bonus of training at Ben Francis Gym (This is irrelevant).

        As someone who is in medical school right now, these things are just as important.
        #docswholift
        PGY-1 FM
        "No idea is above scrutiny and no people are beneath dignity." -Maajid Nawaz

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by nexa View Post
          As someone who is in medical school right now, these things are just as important.

          Which are you referring to?


          Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

          Comment


          • #6
            Just overall scenery and being able to train at a nice place. It makes a world of difference for me.

            My school is in a meh neighborhood and I live in said meh neighborhood. When you're drained and kind of down from studying it just adds to the pile of suck.
            #docswholift
            PGY-1 FM
            "No idea is above scrutiny and no people are beneath dignity." -Maajid Nawaz

            Comment


            • #7
              GTFO out of FL, and go to NY. Live life, experience different things, spread your wings, plus get an education, you feel comfortable at.

              Comment


              • #8
                Yeah I get what your saying and I had a taste if med school from Usf. Complete bullshit because I wasn't prepared but it. But hey your a MS3, your almost there man, congrats.


                Originally posted by nexa View Post
                Just overall scenery and being able to train at a nice place. It makes a world of difference for me.

                My school is in a meh neighborhood and I live in said meh neighborhood. When you're drained and kind of down from studying it just adds to the pile of suck.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Just finished occupational therapy school and going away from family is nice but in my case money was the deciding factor. I did do my clinicals in Houston and having a haven such as a great gym makes a world of difference. Days would be shit, I'd go to my crappy apartment, but than I would drive to metroflex and my day whole day would sort of wash away.

                  Biggest things to look at from the school part would be of your values both meet which seed to be a problem with the other school and what there graduate pass rate is on the licensing test.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Wow you did?! Congrats!!

                    I thought about OT but I really love sports and with OT you focus more on ADL.

                    Well I have heard nothing but good thing about nova now just as I have heard good of nyit. I do feel bad though because this is the second time NYIT has accepted me and if I go to nova it would be the second time me turning them down for another school. I shouldn't feel bad but I do if I go that route.

                    That's awesome you got to go to metroflex, taking time for yourself, in our case the gym, is a must to de stress.

                    As of right now both schools have a 100 percent passing rage on board exams and 100 percent finding a job upon graduation.

                    I have bought quite a but of supplements from the nootropic categories I will be using along with adderoll to help me focus and retain information. Have you used any of these to improve cognitive function?

                    Originally posted by big ross View Post
                    Just finished occupational therapy school and going away from family is nice but in my case money was the deciding factor. I did do my clinicals in Houston and having a haven such as a great gym makes a world of difference. Days would be shit, I'd go to my crappy apartment, but than I would drive to metroflex and my day whole day would sort of wash away.

                    Biggest things to look at from the school part would be of your values both meet which seed to be a problem with the other school and what there graduate pass rate is on the licensing test.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I tried caffeine and some other stuff I read online. I'm not proud of it but I thought of taking adderall during gross anatomy but never followed through. Personally I just ha to get used to studying everyday a few hours a day. Graduate school is just another animal but once you get into the groove it's not too bad.

                      Sounds like either school will work for you. My next idea would be ties/relationships you have now and how moving will affect them. If none are that meaningful I would go far away and experience new things and people. If you have a gf or family that you really need to see than staying within a few hours would probably be a good idea.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Im prescribed adderall so I might as well use it. Not sure if I really have ADD though, just told my doc I couldn't focus and I'm constantly tired. That was enough for him to put me on. Yeah its not bad once you get in the groove and when you are thrown a big curve ball like I was. I was thrown into medical school taking biochem when I have never seen it in my life. I thought I was going for a PT .

                        Yeah I get what your saying. I do have family and a gf here, all that love me and want whats best for me. They most likely would like me to stay closer to them though and going down to Ft. Laudy would be a new experience, not like NY but deff a new experience. Thanks.

                        Originally posted by big ross View Post
                        I tried caffeine and some other stuff I read online. I'm not proud of it but I thought of taking adderall during gross anatomy but never followed through. Personally I just ha to get used to studying everyday a few hours a day. Graduate school is just another animal but once you get into the groove it's not too bad.

                        Sounds like either school will work for you. My next idea would be ties/relationships you have now and how moving will affect them. If none are that meaningful I would go far away and experience new things and people. If you have a gf or family that you really need to see than staying within a few hours would probably be a good idea.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X