Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reached or close to reaching my natural limit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reached or close to reaching my natural limit?

I'm 5'7, 235lbs at 16% bf and 22 years old. I've been lifting for about 4-5 years now and still seeing some strength gains (not as rapid as before).

My situation is that whenever I hit this weight be it with greater fat or muscle, (this time around it's with a greater muscle mass because last time I was this weight i had a greater bf) by body starts rejecting food. To the point that even thinking about food makes me want to throw up. Anytime I'm under this weight I can eat my normal meals, but as soon as I hit 235/237 I lose my appetite. On a normal basis I'll eat every 2-3 hours, but when I reach this point I won't feel hungry until 7-8 hours go by (after waking up), and even then, if I do get slightly hungry, the stomach is so empty and starts to feel tighter that I feel nauseous, making me want to not eat for another 3 + hours. I tried force feeding myself, only to throw up... Like I said though, anytime I'm at 233 & below I'm fine, but as soon as I add those few extra lbs, I can't eat food, and last time, since I was at a higher bf, I started breathing heavier too (not this time though, feel healthier overall except the eating). Not a competitor, working out is a hobby for me. Just want to be big and strong, like a mini hulk. Dont know If this is my strength limit, but could this be the weight limit that I can carry naturally?

Do you do any cardio? What's your training like? What is your typical diet like and macros look like?
    SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

Don't do too much cardio, maybe about 10-30 mins after my workouts (low intensity, walking/jogging), 2-3 days a week, but I workout 4-5 days a week. Training is a cycle of 1 month 15-20 reps 3 sets, 2nd month 8-10 reps 4 sets and finally 3rd month 3-6 reps 4 sets. A min 3-7 days off between each month to let the body recover (routine itself hasn't failed me so far, other than injuries or sickness, almost always make gains). In terms of typical diet, I don't count calories. But on a normal basis if I were to estimate I would say I eat about 3-3.5k calories a day, more on workout days. Different type of meats like chicken, steak, ground beef, lamb/goat, fish, with either wheat pita bread or white rice. It's just that the appetite... It's gone. I've been losing bf so far, which I keep around 14-16% on purpose because I like lifting big weight, or I should say the weight I lift now in my lighter faze is the heavy of 90%+ of the people who come to my gym. I don't think I would be satisfied with my muscle mass and definitely strength if I were to go down below that range, I would like to in the future, just not right now.

Comment

shit i was at 3250 calories a day at 188 and weight didn't move for 6 wks!! (realized the problem was adding in yoga...~700calories burnt a session...wtf!)

i recall dante saying 3.5lb/inch is a very high level, though.

Comment

Question noobin, in regards to your wos , is that the max muscle plan workout method by brad schoenfeld, cause based on your explanation sounds very similar as I'm currently reading that book and would like to know how effective has the method been for you, tyvm

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Comment

A few comments. I would try 20-30 mins cardio on off days only, replace some solid meals with shakes, add fiber, digestive enzymes. And get a better idea of daily macros from protein carbs and fat.

Comment

Originally posted by drcrappants View Post
              (realized the problem was adding in yoga...~700calories burnt a session...wtf!)
              Dafuq kind of yoga are you doing? Bikram?
              #docswholift
              PGY-1 FM
              "No idea is above scrutiny and no people are beneath dignity." -Maajid Nawaz

Comment

VINYASA! i just googled the other day wondering why i couldnt gain weight. shocked myself, but it also explained why i was dripping puddles of sweat onto my mat each time while the old ladies held poses in peace.

http://www.myyogaonline.com/communit...ga-measures-up
                Last edited by greensoup; 12-08-2013, 03:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Davecat7272 View Post
                  Question noobin, in regards to your wos , is that the max muscle plan workout method by brad schoenfeld, cause based on your explanation sounds very similar as I'm currently reading that book and would like to know how effective has the method been for you, tyvm

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
                  Nope, It's something I did based off of knowledge I gained form the trainers at my gym when I started working at 17. Your attitude for one should be that I will make gains every week for the workouts I'm going to do. Be it with reps or increased weight. (Given that you're eating enough)
                  e.g Say in the light phase for me when I was about 18 my heavy db press in the 3-6 reps was 100lbs. Now it is 160lbs. Reason being that mentally I tell myself ' ok, so in this heavy phase my heavy is 100's for 3-6 reps 4 sets, by the time I do my light, and hypertrophy phases and get back to my heavy phase it should be 105's if not 110's' With that mentality and my appetite, there hasn't been one week, other than injuries or being sick that I havent made any gains. Be it with the reps, or adding the weight.

As for the rest days between phases, I wouldn't call myself an advanced body builder, but when you get to a certain level of understanding your own body (took me 2.5 years), your body will tell you when you are ready to go back into the gym. You will feel an unusual energy level that day. In the beginning I forced myself to take a full 7 days off, but would miss the que my body gave me. When I do workout on that que. I destroy my workouts. (What I am telling you is purely based off of experience and talking to a few puny human trainers lol, not by reading any articles or books (probably something I should do), its really simple stuff and from my experience, it works.

But lets get back to brainstorming on how to get my appetite back haha
                  Last edited by noobinthemaking; 12-08-2013, 03:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LG1 View Post
                    A few comments. I would try 20-30 mins cardio on off days only, replace some solid meals with shakes, add fiber, digestive enzymes. And get a better idea of daily macros from protein carbs and fat.
                    I used to take shakes years ago w/o a problem, but now something funny happens. Whenever I take a protein shake, I think I have an allergic reaction. Throat gets tighter and starts to itch. Mainly with powders, and certain protein bars. So I stopped them all together. I use cottage cheese now instead. I guess I'll try adding more fiber or the digestive enzymes you suggest. As for the better idea, for the protein from the meats I eat. That is slightly tough, only because I don't buy my meat from a supermarket or store, I get it fresh from slaughter houses, so there isnt any label on how much protein is or isn't in the bag of chicken, beef, lamb etc. that I buy, they take out the meat from the back and divide it into pieces in front of you. No chemicals, or hormones.

Comment

As far as protein powder. There are many options these days. From veggie to dairy to animal. If you are serious I would try to sample some to get an idea which ones you are allergic to.

As far as meat goes. I think I saw this somewhere but each ounce of animal protein is approx 6-7 grams of protein. Fat content will vary depending on the cut.

Comment

No way you can tell how "close you are your natural potential" @16% bf. Pick a show diet it down to 4-5% see what your physique REALLY looks like, assess your strength and weaknesses and move forward from there. .....
                        '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
                        17 AAU Super Total
                        '16-AAU Hi
                        '15-USPA Metro
                        '15-USPA State
                        '15-AAU HI
                        '14-AAU HI
                        '14-USPA Metro
                        '14-WABDL Sonny's
                        '14-USPA State
                        '14-HI Strongman
                        '13-USPA
                        '13-WABDL Sonny's
                        '13-USPA State
                        '13-AAU HI
                        '11-USPA Metro
                        '10-NPC Stingrey
                        '09-NPC Islands
                        '09-NPC Stingrey
                        '09-ABA Islands
                        '02-ABA Islands
                        '02-ABA IronWorks
                        '01-NPC Paradise Cup
                        '01-ABA Olympia
                        '01-ABA Islands
                        '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
                        '00-INBF Musclefest
                        '98-NGA Ill
                        '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

I can't believe no one has picked on you for estimating calories and not having a structured diet plan...

Get your macros pro/carb/fat and stick to it. I don't see how your eating only ~3500 and at that weight w/ 16% BF? Must be a lot of junk food.

Pics would probably let everyone further critique whats going on.

For example I'm currently 237lbs @ 5'10" and 16-17% BF eating 4500-5000 calories depending on workout day or not and I have not budged for 2 months.

A lot of people over or under estimate body fat % I usually go by this picture saved on my desktop as a guide visually. Not 100% correct either because we all hold fat in different areas but this may help you properly judge bf%.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by 13B-T; 12-08-2013, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by trucelt View Post
                            No way you can tell how "close you are your natural potential" @16% bf. Pick a show diet it down to 4-5% see what your physique REALLY looks like, assess your strength and weaknesses and move forward from there. .....
                            I'm one of those guys that gets scared dropping below 14% bf because I don't think I'll be as strong or be able to get past my current strength if I drop down into single digits. Actually to be honest, I only know how to get bigger and stronger, I have no idea how to drop down to a lower bf, while retaining the muscle I've built over the past years. If you have any suggestions for if I ever want to in the future, it would be appreciated.

As for the natural potential, I guess it was a pretty stupid question to ask. I asked that because whenever I get around this weight I lose my appetite, and start losing weight. I plan to lift till i grow old and die, so I'm not in a rush to have the perfect physique yet. I just thought it was a sign of reaching it without taking any steroids.

Comment

Originally posted by 13B-T View Post
                              I can't believe no one has picked on you for estimating calories and not having a structured diet plan...

Get your macros pro/carb/fat and stick to it. I don't see how your eating only ~3500 and at that weight w/ 16% BF? Must be a lot of junk food.

Pics would probably let everyone further critique whats going on.

For example I'm currently 237lbs @ 5'10" and 16-17% BF eating 4500-5000 calories depending on workout day or not and I have not budged for 2 months.

A lot of people over or under estimate body fat % I usually go by this picture saved on my desktop as a guide visually. Not 100% correct either because we all hold fat in different areas but this may help you properly judge bf%.
                              I know these pictures won't help as much, or at all... But maybe you can get the idea that I am not a total fat slob, maybe a slightly fat slob. (Feel a little weird posting shirtless pics on a website, since I have never done so before, but I took some douchey pics just for you and a picture of me deadlifting 555)
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X