Building A Home Being Your Own GC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building A Home Being Your Own GC

Has anyone here had their home built, but been their own general contractor?

It would be a big project, I am sure. But, if anyone has, I have some questions.
    2005 HOA Natural Classic
    2006 OCB Midwest
    2007 ABA Natural Illinois
    2008 HOA Natural Classic
    NPC Mid-Illinois
    NPC Midwest Open
    NPC Natural Grand Prix
    2012 NGA Clash of the Titans
    USPA Illinois State
    NGA Heart of America
    NGA Clash of the Titans

SAVE 5% ON YOUR NEXT ORDER FROM www.truenutrition.com order - Use Code RHB606

My father did it back in '87. I personally don't have any experience, but you are disciplined enough to do it.

You just need to look up all your local codes and inspections for each trade...Civil (Grading / Compaction); Structural (Concrete Slab); Framing, Rough Electrical, Plumbing, HVAC, Final. Steel would be a great guy to talk to. But every state has different codes (Frost, seismic, etc.).
    2014 USPA Nevada State / Regional Championships - 1,168 total

2014 USPA National Championships - 1,235 total

2014 Village Gym Meet - 1,260 total

2015 USPA Camp Pendleton Meet - 1,235 total

Journal: http://intensemuscle.com/showthread....80#post1112980

Comment

Originally posted by TLopez View Post
      My father did it back in '87. I personally don't have any experience, but you are disciplined enough to do it.

You just need to look up all your local codes and inspections for each trade...Civil (Grading / Compaction); Structural (Concrete Slab); Framing, Rough Electrical, Plumbing, HVAC, Final. Steel would be a great guy to talk to. But every state has different codes (Frost, seismic, etc.).
      The pre-planning, planning and more planning seems pretty overwhelming. I have some decent resources to reach out to. I need to see how much money I can save by doing it this way, vs having it built by someone. Heck, I would even do some of the work myself, flooring, paint, tiling. But I don't really know jack about construction.
      2005 HOA Natural Classic
      2006 OCB Midwest
      2008 HOA Natural Classic
      NPC Mid-Illinois
      NPC Midwest Open
      NPC Natural Grand Prix
      USPA Illinois State
      NGA Heart of America
      NGA Clash of the Titans

Comment

I can walk you through just about every question you more than likely could ever have Breck. Big job? Yes. Rewarding and cost effective? Absolutely. I've seen complete idiots GC their own projects.....you absolutely don't land in that class and would definitely be able to do it, probably quite easily. The biggest thing is holding contractors to their scope of work in their contracts, and minimizing extras.....hit me up if you have any questions....
        STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

Thanks Steel. I appreciate it. Still in the very early stages.
          2005 HOA Natural Classic
          2006 OCB Midwest
          2008 HOA Natural Classic
          NPC Mid-Illinois
          NPC Midwest Open
          NPC Natural Grand Prix
          USPA Illinois State
          NGA Heart of America
          NGA Clash of the Titans

Comment

Working...
          X