Bodybuilding and Graduate School

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bodybuilding and Graduate School

Just interested on those who have been serious about bodybuilding and have gone through graduate school.

Just wanted to hear your guys experience on this subject. Put me in your shoes and let me know what it was like, very interested as I will be starting graduate school in August.

I know Homon went so if you dont mind please chip in!
    Petros
    TEAM SKIP Approved Trainer
    Last edited by Petros; 03-26-2013, 11:38 PM.

Congrats! What type of graduate program are you starting?
    #docswholift
    PGY-1 FM
    "No idea is above scrutiny and no people are beneath dignity." -Maajid Nawaz

Comment

Good luck malaka
      SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

I competed during while getting my Ph.D., doing my post-doc, during the 1st and 2nd year as a professor (just as busy), during the 1st and 2nd year of my 3 yr master's in acupuncture (took the next year off to pass the boards and open my gym at the same time), so it can be done.

A lot of people find the structure helpful - being regimented is helpful when in grad school. It depends on what school and what subject. I was at a major University doing 14+hr days and would train at 5AM most of the time. Some folks I know who have gone to get professional degrees that are considered Master's degrees (grad school) are in programs intended for people who work outside of school. Entirely different deal.

Main thing is how you deal with stuff. It's not for everyone. I had to, just one example, when trying to gain weight, have a 1000kcal shake with me in the afternoon that I would CHUG between clients during a 4 hour bodywork clinic. No one never even knew what I was doing, but I know from (beer drinking) experience that I can chug down stuff that makes most folks vomit.

I could go on and on, but I also didn't have a family, wife or kids, so that makes for entirely different story.

Really hard to say, to be honest, but for me when doing my Ph.D., my training was my meditation for a long period. I trained over nearly 1+ year period EVERY day (just something) except for maybe a couple days (x-mas when no gyms were open), because it was MY time to go after it and have "fun." (I have a strange sense of fun, though.)

Hope that helps. You'll know when you get there.

-S
        The Book Has Arrived!
        The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
        2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
        2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

Doctorate of Physical Therapy Program at the University of South Florida!

Originally posted by nexa View Post
          Congrats! What type of graduate program are you starting?
          Thanks LG! I will need it!

Originally posted by LG1 View Post
          Good luck malaka

Comment

My advice:
            SCHOOL COMES FIRST. ALWAYS.
            Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
            kind of a douche

Comment

Homon,

Thank you so much for this post.

I suppose my biggest concern is diet and how to get the food in if you are so busy as everyone says they are in graduate school.

Do you have clients that are in this situation and are able to get them growing while busy in graduate school?

Thanks for this insight. School comes first as sammich pointed out but I also want to get growing in the gym and progressing and getting someday to the best point I can be.

Originally posted by homonunculus View Post
              I competed during while getting my Ph.D., doing my post-doc, during the 1st and 2nd year as a professor (just as busy), during the 1st and 2nd year of my 3 yr master's in acupuncture (took the next year off to pass the boards and open my gym at the same time), so it can be done.

A lot of people find the structure helpful - being regimented is helpful when in grad school. It depends on what school and what subject. I was at a major University doing 14+hr days and would train at 5AM most of the time. Some folks I know who have gone to get professional degrees that are considered Master's degrees (grad school) are in programs intended for people who work outside of school. Entirely different deal.

Main thing is how you deal with stuff. It's not for everyone. I had to, just one example, when trying to gain weight, have a 1000kcal shake with me in the afternoon that I would CHUG between clients during a 4 hour bodywork clinic. No one never even knew what I was doing, but I know from (beer drinking) experience that I can chug down stuff that makes most folks vomit.

I could go on and on, but I also didn't have a family, wife or kids, so that makes for entirely different story.

Really hard to say, to be honest, but for me when doing my Ph.D., my training was my meditation for a long period. I trained over nearly 1+ year period EVERY day (just something) except for maybe a couple days (x-mas when no gyms were open), because it was MY time to go after it and have "fun." (I have a strange sense of fun, though.)

Hope that helps. You'll know when you get there.

-S
              Petros
              TEAM SKIP Approved Trainer
              Last edited by Petros; 03-27-2013, 12:48 AM.

Comment

Lol,

thanks sammich, I will print this out and put it on my desk lol.

But since school comes first, is it hard to focus on the second thing (the gym)?

Lol.

Originally posted by Sammich View Post
                My advice:
                SCHOOL COMES FIRST. ALWAYS.

Comment

You absolutely should not focus on the gym. You should always focus on your work. The gym shouldn't even come second. But yes, you can definitely carve out time to do what you need to do. Just always have in mind what is the priority, as you will have to sacrifice (at least sometimes) for what you want to do.

Of course take this with a grain of salt, as some programs are more demanding than others.
                  kind of a douche

Comment

I completely understand what you are saying. The part in bold opened my eyes. Thank you.

Might be hard, but it sounds possible to workout three days a week for an hour or two while focusing on school.

You absolutely should not focus on the gym. You should always focus on your work. The gym shouldn't even come second. But yes, you can definitely carve out time to do what you need to do. Just always have in mind what is the priority, as you will have to sacrifice (at least sometimes) for what you want to do.

Of course take this with a grain of salt, as some programs are more demanding than others.

Comment

Originally posted by Herculeus View Post
                      Homon,

Thank you so much for this post.

I suppose my biggest concern is diet and how to get the food in if you are so busy as everyone says they are in graduate school.

Do you have clients that are in this situation and are able to get them growing while busy in graduate school?

Thanks for this insight. School comes first as sammich pointed out but I also want to get growing in the gym and progressing and getting someday to the best point I can be.
                      The main issue about trying to gain weight and be in a program like that, for me, is sleepiness. When doing my PhD, I just stayed lean.

I trained at 5:30 or 6AM when in acupuncture school, but this wasn't as taxing on me, relatively.

Frankly, I'd not count on making tremendous gains really at all. Make your DPT really count and the you can focus on the BB'ing. I had to do all sorts of different things when trying to bodybuild and it wasn't optimal (and was impossible at some points), b/c school was #1.

This is probably part of why I'm still getting better in my 40's and not in school. (I didn't really get "out" of school until I was 35...)

-S
                      The Book Has Arrived!
                      The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
                      2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
                      2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

I see, hm, through all your research, is sleep really as important as they say?

Staying lean and building some muscle doesnt sound like a bad idea at all... do you have a picture of yourself at 22?

Ok, I understanding exactly what your saying, besides 3 more years of school isn't that bad. I may not make tremendous gains, but decent gains wouldnt be bad .

Thank you very much Homon, I appreciate all the advice.

Originally posted by homonunculus View Post
                        The main issue about trying to gain weight and be in a program like that, for me, is sleepiness. When doing my PhD, I just stayed lean.

I trained at 5:30 or 6AM when in acupuncture school, but this wasn't as taxing on me, relatively.

Frankly, I'd not count on making tremendous gains really at all. Make your DPT really count and the you can focus on the BB'ing. I had to do all sorts of different things when trying to bodybuild and it wasn't optimal (and was impossible at some points), b/c school was #1.

This is probably part of why I'm still getting better in my 40's and not in school. (I didn't really get "out" of school until I was 35...)

-S

Comment

Originally posted by Herculeus View Post
                          Staying lean and building some muscle doesnt sound like a bad idea at all... do you have a picture of yourself at 22?
                          They didn't have cameras then.
                          kind of a douche

Comment

I just graduated from a DPT program last year. Honestly, I needed training to regain my sanity. Granted, I am a powerlifter, but I still never had problems like missed workouts or meals etc. As long as you are organized you will appreciate having some "control" over your life as school will frustrate you at times. I found I definitely need that 90 minutes or so to get out of "School-mode", get tired from training, and then relax. Otherwise, I would just freak out all the time about the stuff that needed to get done.
                            "Being tired isn't the same as being rich, but most times it's close enough" Chuck Palahnuik

"The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least"

Comment

Lol! Ouch!:embarasse

They didn't have cameras then.

Comment

Working...
                              X