Losing/Lost Desire To Train

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Losing/Lost Desire To Train

I posted this in my journal but lets be honest, outside a few of you no one reads it lol. That being said I cannot stand to go to the gym anymore, I used to love it now the mere thought makes me want to do something else. I am having fun wrestling and staying active just lifting weights doesn't appeal to me at the moment. I've been doing meet after meet and beating the crap out of myself and now am injured neccesitating time off. I just wanted to see what others have done or if they have experienced it.

Robb
    For Training Inquiries go see the HNIC [email protected] anything else is uncivilized

Yoga.
    Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
    kind of a douche

Comment

Originally posted by Sammich View Post
      Yoga.
      As long as the women are wearing yoga pants and HWP I'm in and yes I'm going to try it, why not.
      For Training Inquiries go see the HNIC [email protected] anything else is uncivilized

Comment

Take a week or two off? I'm always motivated again after a break.
        My log: http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=47064

Comment

Originally posted by PBRevolution View Post
          Take a week or two off? I'm always motivated again after a break.
          Well it'll be two weeks minimum but I have a feeling it's going to be longer. I've been tired out but never been so, how do I put it, turned off by thought off training. I think Trucelt put it best, I've been going for over 2 years full blast with school, career, my family and may be DUST mode time

Comment

What is it about your training that has de-motivated you?

Have things become too monotonous? Do you feel like you are only train high to compete versus training for the love of training?

Maybe take a few weeks off and break from the routine, try some new stuff, keep active and do stuff outside of the gym. I really think that after so long you'll eventually get that spark back and be able to get back training with renewed passion.
            Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
            2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
            2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
              What is it about your training that has de-motivated you?

Have things become too monotonous? Do you feel like you are only train high to compete versus training for the love of training?

Maybe take a few weeks off and break from the routine, try some new stuff, keep active and do stuff outside of the gym. I really think that after so long you'll eventually get that spark back and be able to get back training with renewed passion.
              Kris,

It's definitely training to compete, makes me hate training, getting under that heavy ass bar because I have to versus the fact I want to makes me want to quit all together. I think a break will bring it back, it wasn't something that just built up, it was almost like an overnight thing, my workouts lack desire and that killer instinct I used to bring.

Comment

I definitely felt this way more than once and even just recently. I think for me at least it is one of two things...

1) I need a new challenge
                2) Other things take priority

In my case recently I was orienting at a new nursing job. That just became much more important to me. I worked extra days to learn more, studied more at home to get an edge, etc. Making time to cook, train, etc just wasn't as important. Now that I am comfortable and done with that I suddenly have the spark again. It was like a switch was flipped off and now back on.

While some of the above may be you right now I think you just need a new challenge. You're bored. You've competed. A lot. You've kicked ass in the gym. A lot. Sure there's the challenge of another PR but that challenge just isn't as exciting for you as the wrestling or other stuff. You're too intense and passionate of a guy to sit on the couch. You just need a goal that captures your interest. Maybe some time off doing something else will make you realize just how much fun hitting that new deadlift PR is. Or maybe a new bug will bite you that will so fun to take on. Either way, who cares. I know you're history and know you well enough to say you already know this... Life is too short to grind through that that doesn't make you happy. Find something fun that you love doing and go for it. Even if it's just taking time at home to read that book that's been on your list for a week. You'll love it and be a happier person for it. The weight will always be there.

And if you are up for a physical challenge that would help your wrestling check out SealFit.com. Hardest workouts I have ever done.
                Journal http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=51093

Comment

I felt this way after my last season of arena football. I simply gave zero fucks to train toward the goal of playing another down of football...and it never came back.

I hate to be "that guy", but it's possible that you're done with the sport. I doubt it, but you may have to engage in another endeavor entirely to recuperate.

Passions change-time to put it all into something else for a while.
                  You're perfect, yes it's true. But without me...you're only you.

Comment

Here are my words of wisdom of what is the MOST EFFECTIVE PROGRAM:

1. The MOST effective program= Anything that keeps you coming back and wanting to get into the gym. It doesn't matter if its crossfit, DC training, powerlifting, or water-aerobics.

If you think hard about that ^^^^ it is not debatable. That IS the most effective program.

2. The real question is, what is the most EFFICIENT program? The DC group believe that is the most efficient. Meadows has his own beliefs. As do the 5/3/1 believers etc. I was a powerlifter...right now I am trying to build some beach muscle and stay lean. If you ask me, I would say the Gironda 8x8 is the most efficient program for me AT THIS TIME. But things change and I guarantee I won't always have this same belief. That said, IF YOU TAKE CARE OF #1, then figuring out #2 is subordinate because, for most people that is an evolving process.
                    Family Guy but also; Old School SoCal, punk rock loving, powerlifting, hardcore gym rat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtLQ73EutoY

Comment

My advice would be to take off for a few months and just do things you enjoy at the moment. You said wrestling... I would do that and have fun with it. The motivation will return and it will take a few weeks to get back in lifting shape, but you probably will come back stronger and feel a lot better. Take a BREAK as long as it takes.

Comment

Originally posted by Swaminator View Post
                        Here are my words of wisdom of what is the MOST EFFECTIVE PROGRAM:

1. The MOST effective program= Anything that keeps you coming back and wanting to get into the gym. It doesn't matter if its crossfit, DC training, powerlifting, or water-aerobics.

If you think hard about that ^^^^ it is not debatable. That IS the most effective program.

2. The real question is, what is the most EFFICIENT program? The DC group believe that is the most efficient. Meadows has his own beliefs. As do the 5/3/1 believers etc. I was a powerlifter...right now I am trying to build some beach muscle and stay lean. If you ask me, I would say the Gironda 8x8 is the most efficient program for me AT THIS TIME. But things change and I guarantee I won't always have this same belief. That said, IF YOU TAKE CARE OF #1, then figuring out #2 is subordinate because, for most people that is an evolving process.
                        Here's the thing, if you promised me I could squat 1,000lbs and guaranteed it i still could give two shits. No program could entice me to enjoy training unless there was a chick giving me a BJ at the end then I'd be there5 times a week, come on guys you know you need a couple days off, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam2433 View Post
                          I definitely felt this way more than once and even just recently. I think for me at least it is one of two things...

1) I need a new challenge
                          2) Other things take priority

In my case recently I was orienting at a new nursing job. That just became much more important to me. I worked extra days to learn more, studied more at home to get an edge, etc. Making time to cook, train, etc just wasn't as important. Now that I am comfortable and done with that I suddenly have the spark again. It was like a switch was flipped off and now back on.

While some of the above may be you right now I think you just need a new challenge. You're bored. You've competed. A lot. You've kicked ass in the gym. A lot. Sure there's the challenge of another PR but that challenge just isn't as exciting for you as the wrestling or other stuff. You're too intense and passionate of a guy to sit on the couch. You just need a goal that captures your interest. Maybe some time off doing something else will make you realize just how much fun hitting that new deadlift PR is. Or maybe a new bug will bite you that will so fun to take on. Either way, who cares. I know you're history and know you well enough to say you already know this... Life is too short to grind through that that doesn't make you happy. Find something fun that you love doing and go for it. Even if it's just taking time at home to read that book that's been on your list for a week. You'll love it and be a happier person for it. The weight will always be there.

And if you are up for a physical challenge that would help your wrestling check out SealFit.com. Hardest workouts I have ever done.
                          That sealfit shit is crazy but interesting. Yeah you are right Adam, I'm not sitting around but the same ole shit is boring now, I'm sure it'll come back but not anytime soon. Something new is on the horizon.

Originally posted by RageBlanket View Post
                          I felt this way after my last season of arena football. I simply gave zero fucks to train toward the goal of playing another down of football...and it never came back.

I hate to be "that guy", but it's possible that you're done with the sport. I doubt it, but you may have to engage in another endeavor entirely to recuperate.

Passions change-time to put it all into something else for a while.
                          Rage, thanks, I honestly don't give a shit if it does come back, I'll always stay active because it's in my blood, what it'll be I don't know.

Originally posted by BigCat61 View Post
                          My advice would be to take off for a few months and just do things you enjoy at the moment. You said wrestling... I would do that and have fun with it. The motivation will return and it will take a few weeks to get back in lifting shape, but you probably will come back stronger and feel a lot better. Take a BREAK as long as it takes.
                          I agree thanks

Comment

I agree with what Adam said...get a new goal and try something new within the realm of strength training. First, I'm guessing you've been at powerlifting(?) a while. While this has made you competent at it and has also probably made it automatic and job like in the way you have go about accomplishing goals and the like. This takes away the creativity in it, which sometimes can take away the fun. By going after training goals that you are not as fluent at you will get a sense of newness and feel more like a novice which tends to get the juices flowing to improve. Spending your time working on a new adaptation like power for example may even translate to powerlifting down the road and you could likely train a bunch of new exercises like sprint training, jump training, Olympic lifting training, etc. and all this will improve things like rate of force development and velocity of moments which should carry over to max strength when you go back later to powerlifting. Also going to a new gym full of people that are really good at this new adaptation may give you a different perspective. You could also go to like a strength and conditioning type facility with a bunch of athletes. Training around people with new attitudes and dispositions is really helpful if for nothing else to give you a new approach to attack challenges in the gym outside of the accepted norms in your niche group. Just an idea, but you could really work on anything in the realm of strength and human movement and it may have some positive benefit.

Out of curiosity, what sort of injuries are you suffering from?

Comment

Chris,

My shoulders, biceps, and now elbows are aching on a consistent basis revolving around benching heavy, raw and in the shirt, unfortunately we don't have any good training facilities per say. I've debated adding crossfit in since I want to freestyle and Greco roman wrestle again. Wrestling again has sparked my interest as I was a national level wrestler in my early days and something I'd like my son to get into.

Comment

Working...
                              X