Accutane (Isotretinoin)???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accutane (Isotretinoin)???

Hey everyone. I was just wondering if anyone here has used this drug to fix their acne issues? What were your experiences?

I am about 10 days into the treatment and IT SUCKS A GIANT BAG OF DICKS. I am hoping it will be worth the sides!

Cheers.
    TEAM :tea: SKIP

2012 IFBB Australian Grand Prix Novice 4th Place.
    2013 Nabba Victorian Championships Novice 3rd Place.

Had bad acne a few years ago and went on Accutane. Suck it up because it's great stuff, cleared up my back, chest and face really well.

Dry lips were a major side for me, carmex works well for that. Also a face moisturiser will help.
    Originally posted by thsfootball
    Stressing about what's catabolic- catabolic

Comment

I've used Accutane before. Had a pretty good experience with it too. At first my skin was way to dry for me to handle, but after you get a good moisturizer and chap stick you'll be good. I normally already have dry skin during the winter so I can only imagine what my skin would be like if I was using that this time of year! haha

Comment

I have used it in the past for acne as a teenager. It was around that time that 1) stopped growing and 2) hair started thinning. There were several things that could have contributed to this, so I can't say its the accutane for sure.

Just keep in mind, this stuff was originally developed as an anti-cancer agent. It's serious stuff, so be careful.

Comment

Originally posted by MusclesAreSexy View Post
          Hey everyone. I was just wondering if anyone here has used this drug to fix their acne issues? What were your experiences?

I am about 10 days into the treatment and IT SUCKS A GIANT BAG OF DICKS. I am hoping it will be worth the sides!

Cheers.
          Is regular blood work required for an accutane Rx down under?... (If not, watch your liver, my man...)

-S
          The Book Has Arrived!
          The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
          2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
          2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

If I'm not mistaken wasn't this drug linked to depression and erratic behavior? Don't take t as gospel though.

Accutane side effects
            Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction to Accutane: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat. Stop using Accutane and call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:

•depressed mood, trouble concentrating, sleep problems, crying spells, aggression or agitation, changes in behavior, hallucinations, thoughts of suicide or hurting yourself;

•sudden numbness or weakness, especially on one side of the body;

•blurred vision, sudden and severe headache or pain behind your eyes, sometimes with vomiting;

•hearing problems, hearing loss, or ringing in your ears;

•seizure (convulsions);

•severe pain in your upper stomach spreading to your back, nausea and vomiting, fast heart rate;

•loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes);

•severe diarrhea, rectal bleeding, black, bloody, or tarry stools;

•fever, chills, body aches, flu symptoms, purple spots under your skin, easy bruising or bleeding;

•severe blistering, peeling, and red skin rash; or

•joint stiffness, bone pain or fracture.

Less serious Accutane side effects may include:

•joint pain, back pain;

•feeling dizzy, drowsy, or nervous;

•dryness of the lips, mouth, nose, or skin; or

•cracking or peeling skin, itching, rash, changes in your fingernails or toenails.

This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects

drugs.com
            For Training Inquiries go see the HNIC [email protected] anything else is uncivilized

Comment

Originally posted by DCBliever View Post
              If I'm not mistaken wasn't this drug linked to depression and erratic behavior? Don't take t as gospel though.
              Yeah, it's a beast of a drug (extremely hard on the system), and definitely should be on the last line of treatment.
              Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
              kind of a douche

Comment

I tried it and hated it. If you've got bigger balls than me, go ahead and finish but I unfortunately have tic-tac nuts

As mentioned above, I experienced really crazy mood swings and it just wasn't worth it.

Also as Sammich mentioned above, it should be your last alternative. Try to figure out what causes your acne. Contrary to belief, I really think diet has much to do with it. I really believe chocolates/sweets/sugary drinks cause my acne. I forget where I read it but it goes something like "sugar -> spiked insulin -> increase in IGF-1 -> increase proliferation of skin cells -> acne".

I've cut down on sugars and noticed an improvement in skin appearance. Also I think I have very sensitive skin and even mild soaps irritate me. I've had success with just warm water and also a very very mild soap called Purpose and it's cleared me up. Don't forget to moisturize. I'm on this Olay facial cream and it's great; not greasy and non-comedogenic.

Good luck.
                Max Muscle
                5020 Katella Ave.
                Los Alamitos, CA 90720
                www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

Comment

Did 8 months worth about 12 years ago. It worked really well but dont know if it was worth the sides and potential long term liver damage. Worst sides while being on was the chronic dry skin and chapped lips that would constantly crack and bleed everytime I smiled. People probably thought I was a dick because I never smiled while on it. Keep a can of Carmex on hand. They say it can cause you to feel depressed but I just think the depression stems from you being pissed off with all the other side effects which make you depressed. As far as liver goes. Make sure you take some type of support for the liver and DO NOT run any orals while on. I still to this day have borderline high AST and ALT blood values and I swear it's from the accutane. To this day I still have to constantly put lotion on or my skin will get super dry and itchy. But hey I dont have a spot of acne on me and will look great in my casket. All in all just make sure your monitored and stay away from alcohol, pain relievers and oral supps (you know what I'm talking about)

Comment

Awesome feedback, thanks everyone. Just had my bloods done before commencing treatment and everything was good. Going to get them done monthly.

I have had acne for a long time. The worst is on my back. Figured it was a good idea to get rid of it before I move to the dark side, seriously.

I don't even like taking my shirt off around the wife, and it hurts to sit in a car and sleep, so it's definitely something affecting my quality of life.

Thanks for all the advice, I am well aware of the sides and what to look out for.
                    TEAM :tea: SKIP

2012 IFBB Australian Grand Prix Novice 4th Place.
                    2013 Nabba Victorian Championships Novice 3rd Place.

Comment

Definitely helped - doesn't mean you'll never get acne again, but at least for me it's far less severe and more manageable.

The chapped lips were the worst. Like some others mentioned, they would crack and bleed all the time... even with lip balm.

Didn't notice any other sides though.

2017 NPC National Championships Classic Physique, Class D - 4th Place
                      2017 NPC New England Championships Classic Physique, Class C - 1st Place
                      2017 NPC East Coast Cup Classic Physique, Tall Class - 1st Place & Overall
                      2015 Arnold Amateur Men's Classic Bodybuilding, Tall Class - 4th Place
                      2013 NPC Europa Battle of Champions - 1st Place Novice Heavyweight, 2nd Place Open Light-Heavyweight

Comment

I was on two rounds of it... in high school and again in college. I had the dry skin and lips like everyone else. I didn't notice any of the disturbing side effects mentioned in DCBliever's post... but I was also a hormonal adolescent girl so depression, trouble concentrating, sleep problems, crying spells, agitation, etc were all my "normal" existence at the time.

FWIW, I'm glad I took it. My father has a really scarred face and I think mine would have been as bad as his had I opted not to. Even after I got off of it I still had mild breakouts. It wasn't until I was in my early 30's that it seemed to finally clear up...

Comment

If it's any consolation, I think peeps with acne problems will tend to age better...oily face = moisturized face = less wrinkles
                          Max Muscle
                          5020 Katella Ave.
                          Los Alamitos, CA 90720
                          www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

Comment

Originally posted by DCBliever View Post

Accutane side effects
                            Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction to Accutane: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat. Stop using Accutane and call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:

•depressed mood, trouble concentrating, sleep problems, crying spells, aggression or agitation, changes in behavior, hallucinations, thoughts of suicide or hurting yourself;

•sudden numbness or weakness, especially on one side of the body;

•blurred vision, sudden and severe headache or pain behind your eyes, sometimes with vomiting;

•hearing problems, hearing loss, or ringing in your ears;

•seizure (convulsions);

•severe pain in your upper stomach spreading to your back, nausea and vomiting, fast heart rate;

•loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes);

•severe diarrhea, rectal bleeding, black, bloody, or tarry stools;

•fever, chills, body aches, flu symptoms, purple spots under your skin, easy bruising or bleeding;

•severe blistering, peeling, and red skin rash; or

•joint stiffness, bone pain or fracture.

Less serious Accutane side effects may include:

•joint pain, back pain;

•feeling dizzy, drowsy, or nervous;

•dryness of the lips, mouth, nose, or skin; or

•cracking or peeling skin, itching, rash, changes in your fingernails or toenails.

This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects

drugs.com
                            LOL... sounds like every commercial I've heard about most drugs. Symptoms far worse than what it treats.. Sadly I might be on it here in about a month

Comment

Last year I was prescribed accutane, (31 years old at the time),ran it for five months, absolutely the best thing I have ever done to rid myself of some of the worst acne (on my back). I could go into more detail about why/what caused my skin to get so horrible, the sides (which were very minimal), and the overall day to day dealings w it, but it would take a lot of typing, lol... For anyone interested let me know and I will detail it in depth...

A

Comment

Working...
                              X