Defying Limitations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defying Limitations

If anyone follows the news, they most likely saw that Felix Baumgartner performed an incredible feat today. Executing a free fall from the edge of space and attempting to break the sound barrier during his descent. You can see the story here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-19943590)

Hearing about this story put a thought in my head and I just wanted to share it....

I think an accomplishment of such magnitude is relevant to everyone who has the desire to continually improve their own life. How many times have people said, "It can't be done," but someone finds a way to defy the odds and do it? Just when we think we reach the limits of what is humanly possible, there is someone, somewhere who doesn't believe it, and has made it their passion to re-define the realm of possibility.

So you're thinking, "So what? I'm not going to Mars anytime soon. What does this have to do with me?" Well, apply the though process of these individuals who have achieved what was once thought as impossible to your own life and own endeavors. On a personal level, often times we think, "I can't do that....That person has better genetics/comes from a better family/has access to the best teachers/has more resources at their disposal...etc..." and we relegate ourselves to thinking there is only so far we can go or achieve based on our current situation. Essentially, we become "satisfied" or "content" with where we are, despite having that burning desire to do more. So with the instilled belief that we can only achieve so much, we find our range of comfort where we are willing to push but do not go beyond that. Why? Because we have the belief that what can achieve is limited by some factor beyond our control.

Well, what would happen if you broke through your comfort zone? Did something completely non-traditional to break the status quo? It would certainly make you feel uncomfortable, and may certainly entail risk, but great reward does not come without a little risk. Why settle for a job that doesn't make you happy? Seek out the resources you need and put together a plan to do what you want to do. You aren't satisfied with your physique, but think you simply don't have the genetics...have you REALLY been consistent? Have you really put your heart and soul into your transformation? Have you gone outside of the comfort zone to do some things that push your physical and mental limits to reach your potential?

I am not saying the anybody can be or do whatever they want, but how does one know they can't achieve something greater or improve their status quo until they take a chance and do something atypical?

I guess what I am saying is, don't allow your own thoughts or preconceptions to be self-limiting. Define yourself for who you want to be and live with passion. If you want to achieve something and truly make that pursuit your passion, then you will find a way to do it. When someone tells you it can't be done, refuse to believe them and ask them why. If this is your pursuit, who are they to tell you that you can't do something? Live your life how you want to live it and don't fall victim to the negativity and naysayers. Take control of your life, be passionate about what has meaning to you and define yourself through your actions.
    Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
    2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
    2015 Beat Cancer!

Live your life the way you want to, work hard, acheive your dreams. Good post.
    :preach:

Comment

Great post, Mental...

I find it interesting that when you study people who have achieved something, they all seem to have the same mental principles behind their success, regardless of the endeavor. That cannot be a coincidence.

Also, to piggy back on what you were saying, a friend once posed this question to me : "What would you attempt if you knew you could not fail?"...
      Last edited by pearlharbor1207; 10-15-2012, 02:51 AM.

Comment

Thanks for posting I have been wating for Felix's jump. Awesome just awesome.
        on a side note. Whats in the water in Austria...first we get Mozart then Arnold and now Felix.

Comment

Originally posted by Justme View Post
          Thanks for posting I have been wating for Felix's jump. Awesome just awesome.
          on a side note. Whats in the water in Austria...first we get Mozart then Arnold and now Felix.
          Also Hitler.
          Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
          kind of a douche

Comment

I have often found that people who achieve great things almost always going against the grain, single minded, arrogant, cocky, self assured, unreasonable, intolerant, selfish, driven and more. Some of these traits positive and some negative but they almost always hard to deal with.
            Then I read this-
            “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.”
            George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman (1903) "Maxims for Revolutionists"

Then it made more sense.
            Last edited by SAHD; 10-15-2012, 07:08 AM.
            "Be gentle in what you do, firm in how you do it."
            Buck Brannaman.

"It is the certainty of punishment that deters crime, not the severity of it."
            'Hanging' Judge PARKER

"Nothing is so powerful as an insight into human nature... what compulsions drive a man, what instincts dominate his action... if you know these things about a man you can touch him at the core of his being."
            ~William Bernbach

Comment

Originally posted by SAHD View Post
              I have often found that people who achieve great things almost always going against the grain, single minded, arrogant, cocky, self assured, unreasonable, intolerant, selfish, driven and more. Some of these traits positive and some negative but they almost always hard to deal with.
              Then I read this-

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.”
              George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman (1903) "Maxims for Revolutionists"

Then it made more sense.
              Great quote! I think some of the unreasonableness comes from a sense of entitlement and self-centeredness. They feel they should have something go a specific way and are unwilling to accept otherwise.
              Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Awesome post mental! Grandpa always used to say, "Its better to aim for the moon and end up in the gutter, than to just aim for the gutter".

Comment

Originally posted by maintain View Post
                  Awesome post mental! Grandpa always used to say, "Its better to aim for the moon and end up in the gutter, than to just aim for the gutter".
                  I would get banned if I posted what my Grandpa used to say.
                  Lee Salado, E.P.A.S.

Comment

Great Post;

IT goes with all those people who will compete when they get bigger or get stronger but never do. Why because they are scared, not willing to put that effort in, afraid of ridicule. Shit, if it wasn't for Jay Cook I'd probably never had done my bodybuilding show or SAMMICH and JOHNCAESAR would have never done my first powerlifting meet.

The same as life sometimes you have to put yourself out there and fail to learn but you must learn from failing or your experience is worthless.
                    For Training Inquiries go see the HNIC [email protected] anything else is uncivilized

Comment

Originally posted by DCBliever View Post
                      Great Post;

IT goes with all those people who will compete when they get bigger or get stronger but never do. Why because they are scared, not willing to put that effort in, afraid of ridicule. Shit, if it wasn't for Jay Cook I'd probably never had done my bodybuilding show or SAMMICH and JOHNCAESAR would have never done my first powerlifting meet.

The same as life sometimes you have to put yourself out there and fail to learn but you must learn from failing or your experience is worthless.
                      So true. Success or failure isn't necessarily defined by the end outcome of an endeavor (win/lose, big project....) but must also take into consideration the lessons learned and the experience and what you do with the learning that took place as you worked towards your goal.

I learned this after my competition. Once it set in how far I had come and what I had learned along the way, there was no way I could say I failed. It gave me a new perspective that I would not have otherwise.

2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Working...
                      X