God? The Big Bang...Read...Discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• God? The Big Bang...Read...Discuss

Here is another Yahoo article. From a former journalist I have to say these are some of the worst written articles I have seen. Many articles today seem to have an agenda, but the yahoo articles don't even seem to try to hide it. I think they write these things just to get people arguing. Even if you are an atheist I think you could agree from a journalistic point of view that they didn't get both sides of the argument. I also believe that they infer that we know everything or are close. I don't believe we are even close. Regardless, if we can keep this civil it might be an interesting conversation.

http://news.yahoo.com/science-someda...115945479.html
    1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
    2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
    2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
    2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
    2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
    2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

Truenutrition.com
    Use Discount Code AMJ

I think the biggest oversight in the science community.....heck, the entire human race.....is that we are much less intelligent and all-knowing than what we tell ourselves. What's the saying?....."it's all relative"......I'll leave it at that.....

We can't even forecast the weather accurately a few days in advance.......let's start there....THEN worry about the bigger stuff later

Comment

Good point. I always get a chuckle when I see things like this, because I just imagine a lot people patting themselves on the back. We love to be in awe of ourselves it seems. I'm not saying some of the current and past discoveries are not amazing, but I think we are far from saying we know it all.

Truenutrition.com
      Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

I love having this debate because philisophically, it is totally self defeating. I Love philosophy and love getting this point across during a debate. Follow me for a minute. Stating that "Everything is relative" is an absolute statement. Atheism is a systematic disbelief in absolutes. So that statement either includes, or excludes it self. Either way it unravels at the seems.
        Athiesm itself is philisophical nonsense. Atheism literally means, "There is no God". It is not saying "I don't know if there is a God", or even "I don't believe there is a God", it literally means "There is no God". That is an absolute statement, even though Atheism doesn't believe in absolutes.

Comment

Originally posted by rhoads View Post
          I love having this debate because philisophically, it is totally self defeating. I Love philosophy and love getting this point across during a debate. Follow me for a minute. Stating that "Everything is relative" is an absolute statement. Atheism is a systematic disbelief in absolutes. So that statement either includes, or excludes it self. Either way it unravels at the seems.
          Athiesm itself is philisophical nonsense. Atheism literally means, "There is no God". It is not saying "I don't know if there is a God", or even "I don't believe there is a God", it literally means "There is no God". That is an absolute statement, even though Atheism doesn't believe in absolutes.
          Atheism is a systematic disbelief in absolutes? How do you figure?

Atheism, by definition, is simply a disbelief in the existence in god/gods. Your fundamental misunderstanding of the word "atheism" creates a fallacy of logic in the rest of your argument.
          You're perfect, yes it's true. But without me...you're only you.

Comment

So far so good. I like this as long as we can keep it civil.

Truenutrition.com
            Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Atheism isn't absolute. I myself am an atheist. I do not believe in god because there is no evidence for one. If there were evidence then I'm sure many (myself included) would "believe" as such.
              As for the humans not being unable to predict the weather accurately, our planets wearer system is extremely complicated. Due to the cumulative nature of weather, even a tiny change in the initial circumstances can dramatically change the outcome of a scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by melkor1 View Post
                Atheism isn't absolute. I myself am an atheist. I do not believe in god because there is no evidence for one. If there were evidence then I'm sure many (myself included) would "believe" as such.
                As for the humans not being unable to predict the weather accurately, our planets wearer system is extremely complicated. Due to the cumulative nature of weather, even a tiny change in the initial circumstances can dramatically change the outcome of a scenario.
                My wife is a weather forecaster for the military. Her and her colleagues have to maintain above a 90% level of accuracy in their forecasts or they can lose equipment/lives. That is pretty damn accurate.

Also, they don't "predict" anything. They forecast using data gathered from equipment placed world wide, not to mention satellite feeds.

As far as disproving God, I am not surprised by the level of hubris we exhibit as a whole. We are barely beginning to understand the complexities of life on earth, let alone the entire cosmos.
                Lee Salado, E.P.A.S.

Comment

For me, all these discussions always come down to, no matter how things came to be, there had to be something in existence for it to all happen, you know?

Can something be made of nothing? I don't think so, and so the question is how did whatever there was at the beginning get here without the presence of a greater being? That's always where I end up when I hear or read the latest theories.
                  Last edited by dakoose; 09-19-2012, 01:06 PM.
                  Use True Nutrition Discount Code YKF124 for 5-10% off of all orders from TRUENUTRITION.com!

My On-Site Log

My Off-Site Log

Comment

Originally posted by RageBlanket View Post
                    Atheism is a systematic disbelief in absolutes? How do you figure?

Atheism, by definition, is simply a disbelief in the existence in god/gods. Your fundamental misunderstanding of the word "atheism" creates a fallacy of logic in the rest of your argument.
                    We certainly disagree on your idea of what Logic really is. Simply put, my last post must have gone in one ear and out the other without even a thought to run through your mind. The word "Athiesm" comes from 2 greek words "A" which means "Without" or "Not" the greek work "Theos". From this standpoint an atheist would simply be someone without a belief in God, not necessarily someone who believes that God does not exist. According to its Greek roots, then, atheism is a negative view, characterized by the absence of belief in God. Looks like my arguement had a WHOLE lot of logic in it in the first place.

Comment

The definition of the word "Atheism" according to the the greek roots that it came from, posite and Absolute statement. "The is no God", not "I do not believe there is a God". This is Absolutely an absolute statement. As far as evidence goes, the same exact thing could be said about atheism. There has never been any proof in the non-existence of God and by your point alone we are on equal levels philisophically.

Comment

Originally posted by rhoads View Post
                        We certainly disagree on your idea of what Logic really is. Simply put, my last post must have gone in one ear and out the other without even a thought to run through your mind. The word "Athiesm" comes from 2 greek words "A" which means "Without" or "Not" the greek work "Theos". From this standpoint an atheist would simply be someone without a belief in God, not necessarily someone who believes that God does not exist. According to its Greek roots, then, atheism is a negative view, characterized by the absence of belief in God. Looks like my arguement had a WHOLE lot of logic in it in the first place.
                        I'd say that if someone is "without belief in G-d," he believes that a G-d doesn't exist. If he did believe in a G-d, than he would be "with belief in G-d." How could someone believe that a G-d exist but at the same time be "without belief in G-d?"

You could be agnostic, which from what I understand means to just be confused and not know where you stand on the topic, but if you're an atheist it seems to be a certainty that you don't believe, period.
                        Use True Nutrition Discount Code YKF124 for 5-10% off of all orders from TRUENUTRITION.com!

My On-Site Log

My Off-Site Log

Comment

Originally posted by Lee Salado View Post
                          My wife is a weather forecaster for the military. Her and her colleagues have to maintain above a 90% level of accuracy in their forecasts or they can lose equipment/lives. That is pretty damn accurate.

Also, they don't "predict" anything. They forecast using data gathered from equipment placed world wide, not to mention satellite feeds.

As far as disproving God, I am not surprised by the level of hubris we exhibit as a whole. We are barely beginning to understand the complexities of life on earth, let alone the entire cosmos.
                          Sorry, my explanation came off wrong, I believe weather forecasts are accurate, I was simply trying to explain just how difficult it is. Though re reading my post I can see why you thought I meant otherwise.
                          As for prediction vs forecast. They are the same. But i concede forecast is normally associated with the weather.

Comment

As for the humans not being unable to predict the weather accurately, our planets wearer system is extremely complicated.
                            And the existence of God, who created the universe and life itself, isn't? lol

Comment

Originally posted by dakoose View Post
                              I'd say that if someone is "without belief in G-d," he believes that a G-d doesn't exist. If he did believe in a G-d, than he would be "with belief in G-d." How could someone believe that a G-d exist but at the same time be "without belief in G-d?"

You could be agnostic, which from what I understand means to just be confused and not know where you stand on the topic, but if you're an atheist it seems to be a certainty that you don't believe, period.
                              It could be debated that there are 2 views of the athiest. The disbelief in God, or the Belief in no God. the first is a negative view and the second a positive view. You cannot believe and disbelieve at the same time logically.

Comment

Working...
                              X