[RANT] Movie theater etiquette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [RANT] Movie theater etiquette

Short rant here, but nothing bothers me more than people talking in movies.

Went and saw The Dark Knight Rises with my dad today. Theater ended up being kinda packed. Of course, two dumbasses walked in late to the movie (first scene had started--about 10 mins in). They walked in late, literally stomped up the stairs, and proceeded to talk during the entire movie. I'm not talking about a little whispering--they were having entire conversations in Spanish throughout the movie, even during dialogue scenes. I had to tell them twice to quiet down.

They also had their phones out for the majority of the movie. I just don't fucking get it. I understand occasional phone checking or whispering, but if you are going to talk during the entire movie, why even go?

Sorry, just had to rant.

Maybe next time you could tell the people that run the place and have them kick the idiots out of the theater
    :preach:

Comment

Originally posted by liftweights View Post
      Maybe next time you could tell the people that run the place and have them kick the idiots out of the theater
      Yea honestly I should have just done that.

But, I didn't feel like spending five minutes telling management about the problem, having them come to the theater and kick them out or whatever, and create a bigger disruption for the rest of the moviegoers. I also like to handle things myself if possible. however, I doubt they would have kicked them out to be honest. There were only about two workers there (matinee showing).

I know there's a chain in the south that is VERY strict about theater etiquette. No babies past 7, can't talk at all, etc. Always an attendant watching the theater, etc. Would love to visit a theater like that.

I know this would kill the theater industry, but I would love to have the option to stream movies on the night they premiere. I would pay upwards of $25 to do that.

Comment

That is my biggest annoyance at movies...last movie I was at when this happened, I got out of my seat, walked over and politely asked if they could stop talking please..they stopped and all was well.

Another time, there was a group of teens behind me, kicking my chair, chatting like they were at a ball game and being disrespectful to all around. I turned and asked them to please be quiet...they did for a minute, but it started up again. I turned around and said, "If you want to have a fucking conversation, go outside." they got the point.
        2005 HOA Natural Classic
        2006 OCB Midwest
        2007 ABA Natural Illinois
        2008 HOA Natural Classic
        NPC Mid-Illinois
        NPC Midwest Open
        NPC Natural Grand Prix
        2012 NGA Clash of the Titans
        USPA Illinois State
        NGA Heart of America
        NGA Clash of the Titans

SAVE 5% ON YOUR NEXT ORDER FROM www.truenutrition.com order - Use Code RHB606

Comment

Originally posted by breck View Post
          That is my biggest annoyance at movies...last movie I was at when this happened, I got out of my seat, walked over and politely asked if they could stop talking please..they stopped and all was well.

Another time, there was a group of teens behind me, kicking my chair, chatting like they were at a ball game and being disrespectful to all around. I turned and asked them to please be quiet...they did for a minute, but it started up again. I turned around and said, "If you want to have a fucking conversation, go outside." they got the point.
          To be fair, these two guys did quiet down after I told them the second time. By that time though, we were an hour into the movie and the fun was ruined for me.

The whole moviegoing experience has really just been ruined for me lately. Last movie I was at was Amazing Spider Man. there was a little kid with a toy gun that would make a very loud click every time he pulled the trigger. kid would click the shit out of it every chance he got. I mean, what parent could not see that one coming?

Not to mention the other shit you have to deal with. Listening to people hack up a lung, masticate their food like a cow, or shake up their popcorn container. Disgusting. If I wasn't such a movie buff, I wouldn't bother at all.

Comment

I've told people numerous times to be quiet, normally it is my wife saying shit like "who is he again?", "Is this the guy who was a kid in the other scene?" " Is this bit in the future or past?"

Other than that my local cinema has great rules and any teens going in get read the riot act about being turfed out.

I did have one funny experience where there were about 30 of us in the cinema in total. Most people were in groups of 2 and then a group of about 10 teens who played up from the get go. I and several others told the staff and they came in but said they needed a male as only females were on and they were worried as there was ten of them. F'me they were only about 14 and half were girls also the boys were probably smaller than the girls.

I said that I was a man and would do it for them. In the middle of giving it to them a male staff member arrived and asked if I would help remove them. They refused to go so I started dragging them out. It was great.

Everybody got their money back and a bunch of free tickets....I got a bunch of Gold class tickets (better cinema and recliner chairs, drinks served etc ) tickets and vouchers.

I was with my teenage son and though he knows I'm a cop and deal with fools every day he has never actually seen me dealing with people like this. He thought it was great fun too.
            "Be gentle in what you do, firm in how you do it."
            Buck Brannaman.

"It is the certainty of punishment that deters crime, not the severity of it."
            'Hanging' Judge PARKER

"Nothing is so powerful as an insight into human nature... what compulsions drive a man, what instincts dominate his action... if you know these things about a man you can touch him at the core of his being."
            ~William Bernbach

Comment

Daytime showings are good.
              PM me to discuss website/video/dvd etc. related work.

Comment

Originally posted by RedSkull View Post
                Daytime showings are good.
                ehhhhh, this was a matinee. I've actually found the night shows to be more respectful.

Comment

In the past I threw my popcorn at a bunch of teens who were making noise. It was Return of the King and I was angry because I really wanted to see that movie.

They shut the hell up and the other people in the theater gave me a round of applause.

But I lost my popcorn and that ruined everything for me.
                  "If you're ready to do DC, you're not gonna give a flying f*(k about fatigue from the previous exercise. You get under the bar and kill it, each and every time." - homonunculus

"Nothing better than coming to IM and seeing a Wall of Text next to that big Tricep pic." - Lonnie123

“Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.” - Homer

The scale doesn't show a number. When he steps on it, it simply reads: Big Mother Fucker. - Skip

Comment

If someone was being a loud prick in a theater and I was trying to watch a movie, I would sit in the seat in front of them, turn around, and fucking stare at them while eating my popcorn, like I was there to watch them and didn't fucking care about the movie.

In my experience, confrontation rarely works with pricks, but creeping them the fuck out rarely fails.
                    2010 NPC North Star

Comment

Originally posted by Macho Man View Post
                      If someone was being a loud prick in a theater and I was trying to watch a movie, I would sit in the seat in front of them, turn around, and fucking stare at them while eating my popcorn, like I was there to watch them and didn't fucking care about the movie.

In my experience, confrontation rarely works with pricks, but creeping them the fuck out rarely fails.
                      lmfao.

Comment

Originally posted by ch3v3ll3 View Post
                        ehhhhh, this was a matinee. I've actually found the night shows to be more respectful.
                        I should of specified - daytime, week day, middle of the afternoon. At least near me there wont really be anyone in at that time!
                        PM me to discuss website/video/dvd etc. related work.

Comment

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzxfivZF9Yk&feature=player_detailpage[/YOUTUBE]
                          Use True Nutrition Discount Code YKF124 for 5-10% off of all orders from TRUENUTRITION.com!

My On-Site Log

My Off-Site Log

Comment

Originally posted by 0001Delta View Post
                            In the past I threw my popcorn at a bunch of teens who were making noise. It was Return of the King and I was angry because I really wanted to see that movie.

They shut the hell up and the other people in the theater gave me a round of applause.

But I lost my popcorn and that ruined everything for me.

Next time march on over and eat the popcorn off of them.

Don't forget to lick off the butter. :llama:
                            #docswholift
                            PGY-1 FM
                            "No idea is above scrutiny and no people are beneath dignity." -Maajid Nawaz

Comment

Working...
                            X