Career Change...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Career Change...

After 7 years I am looking for a change in a completely different line of work. I make good money (80k this year and rises 3% each year), and have a pension, time off, etc...however, I really don't like going to work...at all. Just tired of the nonsense I deal with on all levels.

Problem, is I really don't know what I want to do exactly. I just don't want to look back and wish I had done something different. I am afraid to take the risk to give up a career and do something different. I don't have just myself to worry about, but also my wife and a future family.

I have thought about a lot of different career options but still unsure.

I can retire at 53 with 80% of my pay...I guess I could wait another 23 years..ha.

Anyone made a complete career change after working somewhere for a while?

A regular 9-5 doesn't sound so bad some times.
    2005 HOA Natural Classic
    2006 OCB Midwest
    2007 ABA Natural Illinois
    2008 HOA Natural Classic
    NPC Mid-Illinois
    NPC Midwest Open
    NPC Natural Grand Prix
    2012 NGA Clash of the Titans
    USPA Illinois State
    NGA Heart of America
    NGA Clash of the Titans

SAVE 5% ON YOUR NEXT ORDER FROM www.truenutrition.com order - Use Code RHB606

Can this be moved to the general area...accidentally put it in the intense set of the month...my bad
    2005 HOA Natural Classic
    2006 OCB Midwest
    2008 HOA Natural Classic
    NPC Mid-Illinois
    NPC Midwest Open
    NPC Natural Grand Prix
    USPA Illinois State
    NGA Heart of America
    NGA Clash of the Titans

Comment

Originally posted by breck View Post
      Can this be moved to the general area...accidentally put it in the intense set of the month...my bad
      Steer clear of data input
      2014 USPA Nevada State / Regional Championships - 1,168 total

2014 USPA National Championships - 1,235 total

2014 Village Gym Meet - 1,260 total

2015 USPA Camp Pendleton Meet - 1,235 total

Journal: http://intensemuscle.com/showthread....80#post1112980

Comment

Breck, what are some of the things you are passionate about?

What aspects of a job/career matter most to you?
        Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
        2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
        2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
          Breck, what are some of the things you are passionate about?

What aspects of a job/career matter most to you?
          And are your skills transferable to another line of work?

2017 NPC National Championships Classic Physique, Class D - 4th Place
          2017 NPC New England Championships Classic Physique, Class C - 1st Place
          2017 NPC East Coast Cup Classic Physique, Tall Class - 1st Place & Overall
          2015 Arnold Amateur Men's Classic Bodybuilding, Tall Class - 4th Place
          2013 NPC Europa Battle of Champions - 1st Place Novice Heavyweight, 2nd Place Open Light-Heavyweight

Comment

You're in law enforcement, correct? Are there any career moves you could make internally that would satisfy your need for change, but still keep you on the force so you won't have to give up your pension and benefits?

Or do you want out of la enforcement all together?

Comment

Is this a 9-5 job or variable hours/sometimes grueling hours?

If it is 9-5, you are nuts for leaving IMO and my reason behind that is you can suck it up for 8 hours a day, so you can live comfortably the other 16 hours in the day plus 48 hours every weekend and do what you want.

Now if it is not 9-5 and the hours suck, then that is a different story.

My opinion on the matter is that only a very small amount of people actually LOVE going to their jobs. And I am sure even the ones who love it find that it got stale after 1-2 years. Anything you do every day, 8-10 hours a day, is probably going to make you jaded after enough time passes.

Comment

Breck,

I was a LEO and I went back to school part time and finished my Electrical Engineering Degree. So its possible
                For Training Inquiries go see the HNIC [email protected] anything else is uncivilized

Comment

Not letting me quote on phone...but funny lopez..

Since i was younger i have always wanted to have my own bar/pub. I know a lot of people have tried and failed at this. I would like to move about 3 hours away to start this. But a big risk.
                  I like sales actually, and have considered real estate commercial and residential.

Yes i am in LE but if i change i don't want to do something related. I should have been more clear. A 9-5 would be great. I work 2nds currently. There are things associated with this job that blow, but unless you are in it, you don't see it.

And i have a 4 year degree, BUT it is in law enforcement and justice administration. Again, typing from my phone,long responses annoy me...lol
                  2005 HOA Natural Classic
                  2006 OCB Midwest
                  2008 HOA Natural Classic
                  NPC Mid-Illinois
                  NPC Midwest Open
                  NPC Natural Grand Prix
                  USPA Illinois State
                  NGA Heart of America
                  NGA Clash of the Titans

Comment

Expect to work 22 hrs a day if you want to own your own bar. It has an extremely high failure rate as well.

Comment

I have a friend that use to own a bar. I always thought it would be cool to own one till I talked to him. He was telling me that your revenue comes from "regulars" and the bad part is that these "regulars" are all drunks. Not trying to deter you, but what he told me was, "can you imagine dealing with drunks, day in and day out, everyday? It gets old".

Comment

Agreed to both what you guys state. I bartended at an Irish pub for years. I can imagine owning it would be much different. I have also thought about going back to school, but not sure what field. A few years back i was going to get a degree in dietetics. Which still interests me, but not sure about the job options available post graduating.
                        2005 HOA Natural Classic
                        2006 OCB Midwest
                        2008 HOA Natural Classic
                        NPC Mid-Illinois
                        NPC Midwest Open
                        NPC Natural Grand Prix
                        USPA Illinois State
                        NGA Heart of America
                        NGA Clash of the Titans

Comment

Nursing. Pharmacy. Obviously I am biased as a nurse but the flexibility in schedule and career advancement is almost unmatched. And we get paid well.

That said, if I had to do it all over again I think I would go Pharm. Ridiculous demand for them and huuuuge pay compared to education investment.

EDIT- And I'm telling the guys at the station about you. We caught so much shit over 70% and you're getting 80?! Haha. I'll be the first to admit you have it way rougher though and deserve every bit.
                          Journal http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=51093

Comment

Breck

I hear you on this one. I am in a similar situation as you. I have been with my company for 14 years but my position for 4. It is data entry accounting using SAP. I really want to do something else but the thing that keeps me there is it is day shift and every other weekend I have a 4 day weekend. I work 10 hour days.

Currently going to school to learn about computer network engineering. Previously I had put in 4 classes working towards a BA in interdisciplinary studies of psychology/communications but I really don't know where that can take me beyond it being a hobby.

Comment

Breck is there anyway you could get into education/training with whatever LEO you are with?
                              I know you said you want to change out completely but that might be a viable option if its available. You wouldn't deal with the things you see on the job, much better hours I would think too?
                              Heavy squats fix everything.

Comment

Working...
                              X