solar power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• solar power

Anyone here have solar panels? I know someone that got them recently and it seems to be.a no lose deal. They didn't have to take any money out of pocket up front, they save 200 a month on their bill and they have to pay 100 a month for the panels. They just got them a cpl months ago and a recent storm was the first time the power went out in the area but a weird thing happened...they lost power also. I was under the impression that the panels charge batteries on site and excess gets sent back to the power company but they lost power at the same time everyone rose did meaning that no stored power was going back into the house. He didn't understand why this happened either and was gonna contact the company...I haven't heard what the result of the conversation was yet... But does this seem rt? I know odds are that no one here has solar power but if ya do or just know the answer....why would he lose power?
    We plan on looking into it for our new home but just thought I'd ask.
    Peace
    Follow my NEW journal if you please:

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=48304

"They say I'm no good...cause I'm so hood, rich folks do not want me around" 50

"You are you. That is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
    Dr. Seuss

I would like to thank all the stupid people of the world. Without you guys I would only be average.

"Tell them bitches get a stick I'm done leading the blind"
    Nicki Minaj

I've never heard of a deal that good. Most people I've talked to say its between a 10 and 20 year investment, in that you really don't start seeing dividends until you have the equipment paid off. I believe the way that you actually make money on the deal is by selling power back to the electric companies. I'm not sure though. But like I've said, I've never heard of anyone getting the panels for zero outta pocket unless they are military, which I believe can get the stuff for free....

No clue why they would lose power though....sounds like a question for DCBeliever
    Last edited by steel1970; 07-29-2012, 07:12 PM.
    STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

I believe its just like.financing anything with zero down. There would be no need for any monthly payments if you paid it all up front. Now that's my belief cause I hate delving to much into any kind of money issue with family or friends (they are family thru marriage). With all the gov incentives to "go green" it wouldn't surprise me at all if its a gov backed program to get more solar grids up. I will find more out about it cause if that's the deal...I can handle the look of some panels on my roof!

If I find out anymore I'll post it in case anyone is interested.

Peace

"You are you. That is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
      Dr. Seuss

I would like to thank all the stupid people of the world. Without you guys I would only be average.

Nicki Minaj

Comment

Thanks dun
        [http://www.truenutrition.com

-discount code: ADA774-

Buy the highest quality protein and other supplements at the lowest prices.
        Save 5% on all orders.

Comment

Definately interested
          Overtraining should be one of the lowest concerns. You should focus on optimal training.
          -John Ceasar

Comment

From my understanding there are no "batteries". The panels produce a DC current that is ran to an inverter that changes it to AC current. That power is tied into the local power companies power source to the home, which depending on how much power you are producing could spin your meter backwards (giving power to the grid). When the power goes out there is a safety switch that prevents the solar source from sending live current through the power companies cable so technicians know that the only source of power is from the power company. Make Sense?

Edit- Not a Solar Expert. Just stating what was told to me by my brother in law (who has Solar). And power went out on him as well.
            Last edited by TLopez; 07-30-2012, 11:28 AM.
            2014 USPA Nevada State / Regional Championships - 1,168 total

2014 USPA National Championships - 1,235 total

2014 Village Gym Meet - 1,260 total

2015 USPA Camp Pendleton Meet - 1,235 total

Journal: http://intensemuscle.com/showthread....80#post1112980

Comment

Originally posted by TLopez View Post
              From my understanding there are no "batteries". The panels produce a DC current that is ran to an inverter that changes it to AC current. That power is tied into the local power companies power source to the home, which depending on how much power you are producing could spin your meter backwards (giving power to the grid). When the power goes out there is a safety switch that prevents the solar source from sending live current through the power companies cable so technicians know that the only source of power is from the power company. Make Sense?

Edit- Not a Solar Expert. Just stating what was told to me by my brother in law (who has Solar). And power went out on him as well.
              What your saying makes sense but some people are "off the grid" all together and they don't just have power when the suns out. What I mean is I know some people (I thought it was all but...) Have batteries. Now I can see that going direct with no batteries may be the most efficient way to go so if companies or the gov (fed or local) subsidizes the instalation and upkeep or the panels that they would only care about what is most efficient. If they do it like that by me I would guess the logical move is gonna be to have backup battery power of my own....or just a gas generator. For some stupid reason central nj loses power a hell of a lot more than north or south jersey. In either I have never lost power for more than an hour or so but in central nj...in about 3.5 years I have probably lost power 5-6 Xs a year for anywhere from a cpl hours to 5 days.

Anyway, back to solar. I am gonna try and get some more info on who they used so I can contact them and get more particulars. Peace.

Dr. Seuss

Nicki Minaj

Comment

See the attached. The solar panels charge batteries when the sun is out. The battery output is run through an inverter to convert to AC power or the DC output can be used. If you plan to power your whole house, this system can be quit expensive.Any excess power developed by this system can be sold back to the utility company as the government requires 42 states and the District of Columbia to purchase surplus power from consumers.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by EBA84; 08-01-2012, 11:51 PM.
                2010 NPC Masters Nationals Super Heavyweight Class 5th place
                2009 IFBB North America over 40 Super Heavyweight Class 3rd place
                2009 NPC Masters Nationals Super Heavyweight Class 4th place
                2008 IFBB North America over 40 Super Heavyweight Class Winner
                2008 NPC Masters Nationals Super Heavyweight Class Winner
                2007 NABBA Nationals Overall Masters Over 40 Champion
                2007 NABBA Nationals Overall Mens Open Champion

http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/EBA84/

Comment

Originally posted by thedunhill225 View Post
                  Anyone here have solar panels? I know someone that got them recently and it seems to be.a no lose deal. They didn't have to take any money out of pocket up front, they save 200 a month on their bill and they have to pay 100 a month for the panels. They just got them a cpl months ago and a recent storm was the first time the power went out in the area but a weird thing happened...they lost power also. I was under the impression that the panels charge batteries on site and excess gets sent back to the power company but they lost power at the same time everyone rose did meaning that no stored power was going back into the house. He didn't understand why this happened either and was gonna contact the company...I haven't heard what the result of the conversation was yet... But does this seem rt? I know odds are that no one here has solar power but if ya do or just know the answer....why would he lose power?
                  We plan on looking into it for our new home but just thought I'd ask.
                  Peace
                  My neighbor across the street recently got them. I was talking to them about them and I said it must be great when there is a power outage to still have power. They replied back that they don't work without power...so I guess this is a common misconception and limitation. Go figure.

Comment

Working...
                  X