Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Olympics.... do you ever root against the USA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olympics.... do you ever root against the USA?

Ok this obviously is geared towards US residents but the same would go for "your country". I ask cause I honestly find it offensive when someone does. Now YES its their right to root for whoever they want to root for and logically I can understand not 'wanting' to root for any of the "dream teams" of NBA players years ago (I still rooted for them) but today any good basketball team in the Olympics is full of NBA, cba players (or pros from another league).

Anyway I thought of this cause one place I used to work was the worst. The owner, his sister, his son, his brother...who all worked there... Would sit in the bar and root for Italy against everyone including the USA. Now I understand it was where they had come from (25 or so years before) and all but the US of A is where they have a better life, own a business (several actually), raised their kids, etc... They were also all citizens. I don't know maybe its just me but I never got that. Sure I could understand one of the bussboys that was just staying here to make money and planned on going home rooting for Mexico...that was still his country. If I worked I Spain for a cpl years I would still consider myself an American BUT if I moved to Spain because it gave me a better life, I made a better living, I wanted my kids raised there....then I would consider that to be my HOME.

I have a feeling that many won't agree with me but I'm just wondering if you ever think its ok to root against "your home"?

Peace.
    Follow my NEW journal if you please:

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=48304

"They say I'm no good...cause I'm so hood, rich folks do not want me around" 50

"You are you. That is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
    Dr. Seuss

I would like to thank all the stupid people of the world. Without you guys I would only be average.

"Tell them bitches get a stick I'm done leading the blind"
    Nicki Minaj

I personally wouldn't, but I've never lived anywhere but here. I can understand the sentiment of others though when they've come here, rooting for their homeland. That home pride is still there even though some obviously could not make it living there....I know alot of Mexicans and Brazilians thru my work, and boy do they get into their soccer. They would rather work on Christmas day than on a day their team plays.....lol. I think as generations pass, most people look at this country as their homeland, but it takes a few generations removed for that to happen.....
    STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

I guess man... I mean I understand it to a degree. I've worked with a lot of imigrants in the resturant and bar biz and its funny cause the Mexicans and dominicans that are sure they are staying and call this country home don't do it as much. The Italians I've worked with...just about every one rooted for Italy first. I would guess that Italian culture probably had a lot to do with it. Hell I would never fly another countries flag either and a lot of Italians do that.
      It just kinda doesn't 'feel right' to me if that makes any sense to anyone.

Again I wanna be clear that anyone has the right to root for whoever the hell they want. I understand that.

"You are you. That is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
      Dr. Seuss

I would like to thank all the stupid people of the world. Without you guys I would only be average.

Nicki Minaj

Comment

Yeah, I have English and Irish roots, and two of my grandparents weren't born here, but I know very little about the cultures of both places and honestly, I don't care....lol. I was born and raised here, and even though I'd love to visit Ireland one day cause it's beautiful there, this will always be my home. As much as I hate the state that the country is in and all the political BS, I would never root against the US in anything....

What's cool though here at IM is that there are people from all over the place, all with their own sense of home pride. It should be cool to see who pops up here as the Olympics go deeper and we start seeing medals awarded....Could be some crazy shit talking.....Lol
        STEEL

Comment

Shit talking?? I don't know if I would feel comfortable with that! Can't we just say who we would PREFER to win but wish all the worlds nations good luck?

;-)

Dr. Seuss

Nicki Minaj

Comment

Lol....I gotta be honest, I don't watch much of the Olympics at all, cause I just don't have much time to watch TV. The most I watch these days is during my cardio...lol. I watched them all the time when I was younger and obviously was very much into hockey after the "Miracle on Ice".....kids got me too busy to watch much of anything these days. In past years I've found myself peaking in the paper and the medal tallies though....lol
            STEEL

Comment

I never root against the US in ANY world-stage athletic event. I'm proud of our athletes.

I only actively root against the Dallas Cowboys, CU Buffs and Missouri Tigers.
              You're perfect, yes it's true. But without me...you're only you.

Comment

Yeah...no way I could root against my home country either. Now if there's a good heartfelt story about a foreign athlete, I'll be happy for them if they win. Even if against a US athlete, but I'll root for the American athlete first every day of the week

Comment

Originally posted by RageBlanket View Post
                  I never root against the US in ANY world-stage athletic event. I'm proud of our athletes.

I'm with ya on the Cowboys.....as long as they lose I'm a happy man.....lol
                  STEEL

Comment

It would be un Australian to ever ever barrack against us in anything on the world stage.

Even if the Australian cricket team is playing, say Canada in the world cup (we would annihilate them) we still barrack hard for the green and gold.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
                    "if you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything..."

On board TEAM SKIP

Comment

No. I don't. What would even be a good reason to do so?

Comment

Originally posted by RageBlanket View Post

Patriots, Oregon Ducks, Boston Red Sux, LA Angels, Pittsburgh Stealers (SB40 reference). Hate them.

Comment

Originally posted by youngbb View Post
                          No. I don't. What would even be a good reason to do so?
                          A story unfolds that one of the U.S. track athletes in the X event has possibly covered up past (disqualifying) drug use, and a criminal past involving rape of a minor. He has a highly egotistical and unlikeable personality and has been fined for unsportsmanlike conduct on a couple occasions. He races for his ego which is evident in each post-race interview.

A runner in that same race who hails from a small third world country's story is uncovered. He overcame adversity, training after working 12hr days on his family farm without any of the modern technology, food, supplements, etc. of the stable of American Athletes. If he does well, his performance will bring great pride to him, his family and his country and may create a situation whereby he can obtain government assistance to save his family's 200yr old farm. He's racing for his love of the sport and his family's livelihood.

---------

Do you root for the U.S. athlete or the underdog?...

-S
                          The Book Has Arrived!
                          The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
                          2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
                          2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

Originally posted by homonunculus View Post
                            A story unfolds that one of the U.S. track athletes in the X event has possibly covered up past (disqualifying) drug use, and a criminal past involving rape of a minor. He has a highly egotistical and unlikeable personality and has been fined for unsportsmanlike conduct on a couple occasions. He races for his ego which is evident in each post-race interview.

A runner in that same race who hails from a small third world country's story is uncovered. He overcame adversity, training after working 12hr days on his family farm without any of the modern technology, food, supplements, etc. of the stable of American Athletes. If he does well, his performance will bring great pride to him, his family and his country and may create a situation whereby he can obtain government assistance to save his family's 200yr old farm. He's racing for his love of the sport and his family's livelihood.

---------

Do you root for the U.S. athlete or the underdog?...

-S
                            Scott, fair enough.

If it were a serious PED (eg. steroids, gh, blood doping etc) I would cheer against the US athlete, I don't favor those who cheat. I can't stand the use of banned PEDs in sports in which the expectation is that they are clean. (eg. natural shows), though I wouldn't care in those presumed to be dirty (eg IFBB, and I don't hold it against Steroid-Era ballplayers)

If it were a minor PED (amphetamines/greenies, some OTC thing that was on WADA's list) or an illegal non-PED (eg marijuana, cocaine, heroin, etc etc), I would still cheer for the US athlete. I don't think drugs are a personal defect.

So basically, yes I'd cheer against a US athlete for cheating. You have found my weakness *shakes fist* lol

Comment

I understand what Dunhill is saying, as I would never really root agaisnt the US. However, I also feel Scott brings up some valid points. Maybe its not this way, but I feel like some American athletes don't take as much pride in being Americans as some other countries. I am not sure why, but I feel like they are doing it more for personal glory than for glory of the country.

I mean, every time I hear a russian or chinese speak, they are totally sold for their country. They seem to love their country a lot more than some American athletes. And that makes me sad.

Honestly, I am not sure if I am in a fit state to post. But has anyone watched the documentary "Pullin John"? Its a documentary about arm wrestling (and its awesome). I found myself clearly going for the russian over the American just because they russian seemed cool and normal while the American was a cocky young punk.
                              Last edited by Ajweins; 07-28-2012, 03:29 AM.
                              "Being tired isn't the same as being rich, but most times it's close enough" Chuck Palahnuik

"The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least"

Comment

Working...
                              X