Buying a car sight unseen???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a car sight unseen???

Anyone here ever bought a car without seeing or driving it?

I am looking into getting a 68 or 69 Camaro. Nothing fancy, not looking to spend a ton. Just a solid, good driving vehicle. I have found several online and around the country for better prices than I have here in Illinois.

Just apprehensive about getitng one without seeing it in person. When I do find one I like, I plan on getting as many pictures/video as possible....maybe try to find a non-biased mechanic in that area to inspect it for me, I dunno.

If you have had success, where did you go? If you had an issue with a dealer, where was it also?

Thanks!

(I guess this is my early mid-life crisis..lol)
    2005 HOA Natural Classic
    2006 OCB Midwest
    2007 ABA Natural Illinois
    2008 HOA Natural Classic
    NPC Mid-Illinois
    NPC Midwest Open
    NPC Natural Grand Prix
    2012 NGA Clash of the Titans
    USPA Illinois State
    NGA Heart of America
    NGA Clash of the Titans

SAVE 5% ON YOUR NEXT ORDER FROM www.truenutrition.com order - Use Code RHB606

Fly there, and check it out. depending how far you can have it shipped back, or drive it back.

Another option is having them take it to a local shop, for inspection.

I have bought about 10 cars out of state, but always fly there personally. One time I had a local friend check one out for me.

Comment

My son's soccer coach bought a '67 Camaro convertible online (not sure of the amount he paid). He told me that he wished he had taken the time to go out and see it because the car had a lot of rust that was not shown on the pictures, and that fixing it was double the cost of an airline ticket.

Also, I would be cautious in buying a vehicle from an area where it snows a lot. The salt placed on the roads tend to rust the undercarriage over time.

Just my 2 cents.
      2014 USPA Nevada State / Regional Championships - 1,168 total

2014 USPA National Championships - 1,235 total

2014 Village Gym Meet - 1,260 total

2015 USPA Camp Pendleton Meet - 1,235 total

Journal: http://intensemuscle.com/showthread....80#post1112980

Comment

Originally posted by TLopez View Post
        My son's soccer coach bought a '67 Camaro convertible online (not sure of the amount he paid). He told me that he wished he had taken the time to go out and see it because the car had a lot of rust that was not shown on the pictures, and that fixing it was double the cost of an airline ticket.

Also, I would be cautious in buying a vehicle from an area where it snows a lot. The salt placed on the roads tend to rust the undercarriage over time.

Just my 2 cents.
        Yeah, I have thought about location of sale. Which is why I am looking at Texas and Arizona.

I would fly out I guess then have it shipped back.
        2005 HOA Natural Classic
        2006 OCB Midwest
        2008 HOA Natural Classic
        NPC Mid-Illinois
        NPC Midwest Open
        NPC Natural Grand Prix
        USPA Illinois State
        NGA Heart of America
        NGA Clash of the Titans

Comment

This is something I am looking at, but just a little cheaper.

http://www.vanguardmotorsales.com/In...7/Default.aspx

This place also seems to get some decent cars in for reasonable prices..

http://www.atlasmusclecars.com/musclecars/
          2005 HOA Natural Classic
          2006 OCB Midwest
          2008 HOA Natural Classic
          NPC Mid-Illinois
          NPC Midwest Open
          NPC Natural Grand Prix
          USPA Illinois State
          NGA Heart of America
          NGA Clash of the Titans

Comment

Those are beautiful cars!

I have a 68 Camaro SS project car. 3 years till my son gets his license so I have some time to work on it. The only thing it needs cosmetic wise is a new dome light and dash pad. I figure I need $1,500 to get it on the road running sound. But I'm also looking into a new crate motor.

http://www.enginefactory.com/
            2014 USPA Nevada State / Regional Championships - 1,168 total

2014 USPA National Championships - 1,235 total

2014 Village Gym Meet - 1,260 total

2015 USPA Camp Pendleton Meet - 1,235 total

Journal: http://intensemuscle.com/showthread....80#post1112980

Comment

If you find a car in AZ, I would not mind going to look at it for you(pending it wasn't TOO far)

Shit in the last 2 years alone I have bought cars in WA state, Ohio, TX and am about to fly to NM in a couple days pending I can work out this deal.. I am a car whore.

Just let me know.
              Last edited by Imprezivr6; 06-05-2012, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Sweet fucking baby Jesus, do NOT buy it without checking it out yourself D:
                Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
                kind of a douche

Comment

My step dad had a car dealership for over 40 years. About 5 or so years ago he bought a near perfect 67 Vette convertible off of EBay.....drove it a few times, motor was kinda acting strange, took it to his motor guy, and it was messed up....had to put a new top end on it, basically new valves, springs, all that stuff.....cost him about $1500 and he wasn't happy, at all.....I would go look at it if I were you.....
                  STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

Seems like a no-brainer to at least see the car or have someone you trust take a look. I'll even go as far as to say to bring the most pessimistic friend/mechanic you know to look for anything wrong with it; you're already half way in love with the car, you just might overlook something because you were blinded by love

...by Luther Vandross.

Also, you can find any problems and use it to haggle a bit...hell the plane ticket might even pay for itself and then some depending on what you find and how good you are at haggling The headache you know (buying the plane ticket/traveling) is a lot better than the headache you don't know (mechanical/cosmetic problems).
                    Last edited by theroymccoy; 06-05-2012, 07:05 PM.
                    Max Muscle
                    5020 Katella Ave.
                    Los Alamitos, CA 90720
                    www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

Comment

Originally posted by Imprezivr6 View Post
                      If you find a car in AZ, I would not mind going to look at it for you(pending it wasn't TOO far)

Shit in the last 2 years alone I have bought cars in WA state, Ohio, TX and am about to fly to NM in a couple days pending I can work out this deal.. I am a car whore.

Just let me know.

This dudes got a good eye.^

I went and checked out a 997 for an intertron friend before he had it shipped to MD and he seems happy with his purchase.
                      #docswholift
                      PGY-1 FM
                      "No idea is above scrutiny and no people are beneath dignity." -Maajid Nawaz

Comment

Originally posted by nexa View Post
                        This dudes got a good eye.^
                        LOL.. I am sooooo anal with my cars.

I went to look at a car the other day that was "mint" and when I got there I almost punched the guy in his throat. He is lucky he was local.

On a side note, looks like I found my new ride....Off to NM next week. Should be a fun drive down through payson.

And fwiw you are probably the only woman I would trust to check out a car for me. I almost had you go check out a 135i in Chi before you left, but I wasn't serious enough.
                        Last edited by Imprezivr6; 06-05-2012, 10:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X