Low test :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low test :(

So I have basically felt tired, constantly, for the last 5 years. I went to my primary care physician and he ordered me up a blood test. Sugar, cholesterol, some other stuff that I didn't pay attention to, and of course test.

Everything, according to him came back normal...in fact he said it was the first time he has seen a blood test where everything was in a very healthy range.

HOWEVER, my total test was only 313 (i forgot the unit of measurement). He said that was normal, but I know that is low.

What should I do? Should I take my results to an endo? Is there anything I can do to increase it that won't have me relying on injections the rest of my life?

I have pretty good medical insurance, so it is not like I need a referral. I can just go if I please. But I don't want to go there and just have him tell me they are normal levels and waste my $50 copay, so I was hoping you guys could point me in the right direction.

Some Dr's would attempt a "restart" with a course of low dose clomid. If you can hold higher T levels then no need to HRT.

How is your fat intake? Vit D levels?

Comment

Probably 80g fat per day, somewhere around there...

Not sure on vit d levels.

I notice a difference in the way I feel after I supplement with zinc for a couple of weeks. Not sure if it is placebo effect or not...I kept getting nauseous so I stopped.

Comment

Mike, yes, that is pretty low. One of my friends was in a similar situation. I think he tested somewhere around 300ng/dL but he got his bloodwork repeated and it came back in the low 200s.

If your PCP will do repeat bloodwork then go for it. If not, possibly get bloodwork done at an independent lab (check out Life Extension or a similar site for labs you can get on your own). Then you can take these results to an endo for further review.

I'm assuming you eat pretty healthy and have adequate dietary fat for good testosterone production and getting sufficient amounts of zinc, magnesium and vitamin D in your diet will also help with testosterone.

Sleep also affects T levels as does stress. Try methods to improve sleep and relaxation techniques to reduce stress in they are problems.

Aromasin (exemestane) has also been shown to increase testosterone while reducing estrogen. Here is one study that proves this http://jcem.endojournals.org/content/88/12/5951.full
        Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
        2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
        2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
          Sleep also affects T levels as does stress. Try methods to improve sleep and relaxation techniques to reduce stress in they are problems.
          To add to that, working weird hours will too. A friend of mine in the army just got put back on days by his endo because his test came back so low. The endo seems to believe that (vs working nights) will really help things out.
          PM me to discuss website/video/dvd etc. related work.

Comment

MFlex, I have a theory that maybe I am NOT getting enough zinc/mag. I did supplement with ZMA for a while and I noticed a difference in how I felt. The only reason I stopped was because I was getting nauseated. I am going to try it again at a low dosage.

As for sleep/stress...

I am out cold at 11:30 every night the second my head hits the pillow and I don't wake up, not even to take a piss, until my alarm goes off at 7:30. I sleep extremely well. I do not feel stressed much either.

Can't I just get my current blood work forwarded to an endo? Or would a urologist be better?

Comment

I have been on basically, a one year plateau, physique wise and strength wise. Any weight gain appears to go straight to my gut.

Could low test contribute to slower gains? Or is my level not low enough to really make a huge difference in the gym?

Comment

You can absolutely have your bloodwork forwarded to an endo or urologist. My PCP wanted me to see an endo because my issues dealt with LH and FSH being out of whack. However my friend went to a urologist and is being treated through him via Androgel. He loves the Androgel and I can definitely tell the difference in his personality as well as the progress he has been making in the gym.

As for me, I did not respond well to testim (a gel similar to Androgel) as 1 tube per day only put me in the low 300s!

IMO, and from what my PCP (and Scott) told me, an endo is going to be more versed in the hormones affecting testosterone production. The endo will definitely run more tests and see if you truly have low test or be able to provide alternative therapies other than injections or gels.

EDIT: I would say that a low level of test could definitely slow down your gains. Hell, I wasn't able to gain a pound for the longest time and just kept losing weight. Yeah, I was lean, but I could build size. I would say there is a strong correlation.
                Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

SkinnyMike,

Google the metabolic doc. He is Dr. O'Connor and works primarily with bodybuilders/powerlifters. I'm 23 years old and my test levels came back at 560 ng/dl. These levels are obviously considered normal among most physicians. However, I've been experiencing decreased libido and more fatigue. Most guys will start feeling the symptoms of low test below 600 ng/dl. It's ideal to be around 800 ng/dl.

Needless to say, with my symptoms, he's offered me the opportunity to get on TRT. I will tell you one thing. Compared to the illegal route, the legal route is much more expensive.

Anyways, just wanted to let you know there are options out there and you are not doomed.
                  2010: NPC Excalibur

Comment

Sloh, with insurance I pay a total of about $12 a month for everything I am to normalize my hormones. If you have good insurance, it is very very inexpensive. And my friend who uses Androgel only pays like $30 a moth for the Androgel 1.62%. Not too shabby.

2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
                      Sloh, with insurance I pay a total of about $12 a month for everything I am to normalize my hormones. If you have good insurance, it is very very inexpensive. And my friend who uses Androgel only pays like $30 a moth for the Androgel 1.62%. Not too shabby.
                      Clearly he is going to some "grey area" Dr. Prescribing TRT to people with test levels in the mid 500's is not the norm..LOL

These types of places are $$

Comment

I thought total test levels didn't really mean very much? Aren't they supposed to test for free test and bound test? I thought free test was the important number. Is this correct?

Comment

Originally posted by maddzz View Post
                          I thought total test levels didn't really mean very much? Aren't they supposed to test for free test and bound test? I thought free test was the important number. Is this correct?
                          Free testosterone is what matters, but I would think it's usually in proportion with your total testosterone anyway, unless your SHBG is out of whack.

Comment

Originally posted by Quadriceps View Post
                            Free testosterone is what matters, but I would think it's usually in proportion with your total testosterone anyway, unless your SHBG is out of whack.
                            Yup! If you have high SHBG then you will have lower free test, thus higher bound test. So essentially two individuals can have the same total test but if one has very high SHBG then they might require TRT even if they have total test within the normal range (since free test would likely be low).

Just like testosterone, SHBG changes as you age. It actually increases. So it is kind of a double whammy, you are getting old and you are no longer producing enough test but at the same time your SHBG is increasing making the test you do have less bio-available.

2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

The ideal test along with TT, is "bio available testosterone" It takes into account the test weakly bound by albumin.

Comment

Working...
                              X