College/Career Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College/Career Advice

Hello guys. Posted this at another lifting forum I frequent, but I figured id bring it over here. No shortage of opinions and experience here. I also know there is a resident web designer here, and a reply from dunhill is inevitable

I got out of the military in 01Sep10 and jumped right into college. I only went to HS for 3 years, and like most of my friends, I did just enough to skate by, so I never took high level math or science classes (chem, pre calc, etc)

So I am now taking full advantage of the GI bill, which among other benefits, covers all of my tuition and books. For the first couple semesters, I was not sure how all the pre-reqs worked, so I just picked a few random classes. After meeting with an advisor, I had a degree plan for some arbitrary major. Having not prepared myself in high school, pursuing a useful undergrad degree is out of my time window in which I am eligible to receive the GI bill (3 years total)

So, assuming pre med or anything engineering related is out the window (because of a large amount of pre reqs), I have a few options that are available to me, and I need to commit to one soon.

After this semester, Ill have 60 units and all breadth courses required to transfer for most BAs (sociology, management, psychology, philosophy, global studies, etc). GPA is 3.8

My options are:

1) Transfer to a 4 year and pursue a skill-less BA. Enter the workforce with no real work skills apart from what I acquired in the military. Ill likely only need student loans for a semester or so, worst case scenario. Pros to this are receiving a four year degree, which seems to be a requirement before any consideration is given for employment. Cons: No real skill per se, may need borrow some money.

2) Pursue an AA in web design. Pros: useful skill that can lead to many different jobs, including being self-employed which is an ultimate life goal. Also, can work pretty much anywhere there is internet. Cons: somewhat of a saturated profession with many people having nothing above a HS diploma. Also, this is only a 2-year degree. Not sufficient for employers that wont even consider anyone without a bachelors. Seems to be easily outsourced to other countries.
    This would take 2 semesters to do from my current point, and I would have a little less than a year left on my GI bill.

There are no public institutions in my state that offer a 4 year web design degree, which would be the best of both worlds. Unfortunately, a 2 year degree is about as far as you can take web design apparently.

If anyone manages to read that wall of text, Id appreciate any feedback. I know there are a lot of guys that have been there and done that so to speak.

Do what will make you happy. You don't want to look back 10 years from now and regret the fact that you did not pursue your "dream career". If you are single and don't have a family to support right now, I say do whatever it takes to get you where you want to be in life. If you want to become a doctor, or an engineer do it. Now is the time! Good luck, I wish you the best.
    2014 USPA Nevada State / Regional Championships - 1,168 total

2014 USPA National Championships - 1,235 total

2014 Village Gym Meet - 1,260 total

2015 USPA Camp Pendleton Meet - 1,235 total

Journal: http://intensemuscle.com/showthread....80#post1112980

Comment

COTA program is well paying and only two year program. Believe COTA pay is 44 which seems very high but what I always see.
      Teaching is viable if you only want a Bach.
      With ex military you can also go FBI which only requires a bachelors in anything and three years professional experience which you have from the military.
      Customs and Border patrol are both great careers where I live and have been hiring like crazy.

Comment

I agree with TL. Do what you feel you will enjoy most. You don't want be to 50 and think I should have done this instead.

Use my discount code JHR112 and get 5% off at TrueProtein.com

"Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder, but don't nobody wanna lift no heavy-ass weight!"-Ronnie Coleman

GET THE DAMN WEIGHT UP AND BEAT THE LOGBOOK WITH BIG WEIGHT JUMPS-Dante

Comment

PT/OT/Pharm/RN

All are in a booming field (healthcare), are versatile, located everywhere and offer plenty of room for advancement.

I'm an RN and enjoy it a lot. But if I had to do it over again I would seriously consider a Pharm program. Demanding school but they are in serious demand and the pay is ridiculous compared to what you invest in school.
          Journal http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=51093

Comment

Originally posted by Adam2433 View Post
            PT/OT/Pharm/RN

All are in a booming field (healthcare), are versatile, located everywhere and offer plenty of room for advancement.

I'm an RN and enjoy it a lot. But if I had to do it over again I would seriously consider a Pharm program. Demanding school but they are in serious demand and the pay is ridiculous compared to what you invest in school.
            My wife is an RN as well, and she could fall ass backwards into a career anywhere in the country. Healthcare is the place to be for sure, if you have a passion for it.

I have a useless fucking Marketing BA that I've NEVER used for a single minute of my career. However, I only went to college to play football, so useless degree is part of that.

If I had to advise someone right now, I'd say energy industry. That's what I do, and it's booming like a mofo.
            You're perfect, yes it's true. But without me...you're only you.

Comment

So as of now you have 3 years to finish a degree? I'm not sure which school you go to but some (mine included) schools you can finish a bio degree (you can go into med, pharm, dentistry, healthcare in general) if you stack classes and summer schools. I'm not saying this is the route for you but just throwing the possibility out there for you so you don't dismiss it.

If you want to make $$$ as soon as graduation, engineering major is the way to go. Again, 3 years is possible if you bust ass. Computer, mechanical, and electrical engineering would be my choices if I have the opportunity to redo college. Remember to get an internship or two during summers. If you choose to, pursue a masters degree (these are usually 1 year) and watch your pay rate jump !

Business degree is also possible with many opportunities, just remember work experience is equally important. Best field in business for $$$ would most likely be finance, and accounting would be best for job security.

I always followed the impression that do what you love most, but that backfired when I realized being jobless/not making enough $$ to support family/unable to pursue dreams because of monetary factors. I didn't major in art/music/history etc but you would be surprised how much money these people spent on their degree only to be jobless or working in a non-related job that doesn't even require a degree to begin with. My opinion on this (and what I am doing) is just to find a career that gives me income which I am satisfied by and just grow to like doing it lol.

The market today is SATURATED with college graduates. The little piece of paper alone does not get you anywhere anymore. Think carefully about what college can do for you and make it work! You only have one chance to do this so make sure you give it your all. GL!

Comment

Originally posted by Adam2433 View Post
                PT/OT/Pharm/RN

x2 for RN. My wife is a Registered Nurse up here and it's no different. Great pay, good union and pension in most places (in Canada anyhow, I honestly don't know what it's like in the states). Plus, a background in Nursing opens up a TON of doors if you feel like a change of scenery later on in your career i.e. med school, PT, OT, I've even been told it helps with police and fire depts because of the first-aid skill that you would bring to the table.

Of course all this is contingent on you enjoying the job, but there's enough variety in the field that pretty well anyone can find SOMETHING they'll like. Dialysis, Cardiology, ER, and Public Health Nurses are all RN's, but do very different jobs.
                "no bulking, no cutting, no bullshit. Just training for being a motherfucker" -- Jim Wendler

"No fucking lifter is hardcore. Hardcore is taking shrapnel in the ass fighting for your country. We're lifting weights." -- Dave Tate

Check out my Journal

Comment

You mentioned web design, is that something you're passionate about? Do you have any HTML, Java, or any other programming experience (not necessary, but just wondering)?

You could pursue a BS in Web Development - and maybe even focus on developing your skills in web analytics technologies for which there is definitely growing interest/focus on from large corporations.

2017 NPC National Championships Classic Physique, Class D - 4th Place
                  2017 NPC New England Championships Classic Physique, Class C - 1st Place
                  2017 NPC East Coast Cup Classic Physique, Tall Class - 1st Place & Overall
                  2015 Arnold Amateur Men's Classic Bodybuilding, Tall Class - 4th Place
                  2013 NPC Europa Battle of Champions - 1st Place Novice Heavyweight, 2nd Place Open Light-Heavyweight

Comment

Originally posted by RageBlanket View Post
                    My wife is an RN as well, and she could fall ass backwards into a career anywhere in the country. Healthcare is the place to be for sure, if you have a passion for it.
                    unless you are in boston

Comment

Originally posted by thsfootball View Post
                      No shortage of opinions and experience here. I also know there is a resident web designer here, and a reply from dunhill is inevitable
                      holy fucking lol
                      Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
                      kind of a douche

Comment

Successful web dev here...

You can't go wrong with software development. With how technology is evolving the world will continue to need more and more programmers.

Comment

Agreed with the comments about software. I have a BS in Software Engineering. Don't believe the hype about outsourcing. There are TONS of jobs on software. Take a look at Monster or CareerBuilder. If you don't want to do that, the other opinions above are great.
                          Basically if you want job security, pick one of these:
                          Engineering, software, anything health related, or Accounting.

Comment

Working...
                          X