The pink slime "controversy"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The pink slime "controversy"

Given the infinite number of cows that have been consumed by the members of this forum, I wondered if anyone had any reservations about eating beef with this so called "pink slime"?

As far as I can tell we have all been eating this additive since the early 1990's, it allows for a more efficient use of beef that would otherwise be thrown away, in the billions of pounds of meat consumed with this additive it hasn't been linked to a death or illness and supplies hundreds of jobs at processing facilities. IMO it seems to me that there are many more products on supermarket shelves with additives definitively linked to heart disease, diabetes, obesity, etc... that should be being scrutinized.

I have eliminated chain store bought ground beef from my diet, completely. Obviously this stuff didn't hurt me, but just the fact that the FDA has allowed this crap to enter the food supply is an abomination....When I buy beef now, I buy directly from a local butcher shop and they do NOT use the pink slime. In fact, I go in, ask for 96% lean ground beef, and they grab a round roast or sirloin roast right from the visible cooler and grind it right then and there...Obviously, they have a formula and may hafta add a little fat, but last week when I got it he told me it was at least 97%....that shit was dry as hell too....lol
    STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

Steel how much per lb?

Sent from my DROIDX
      [http://www.truenutrition.com

-discount code: ADA774-

Buy the highest quality protein and other supplements at the lowest prices.
      Save 5% on all orders.

Comment

I either buy grass fed from texasgrassfedbeef.com, or I do exactly what Steel does.

Comment

Originally posted by mister69 View Post
          Steel how much per lb?

Sent from my DROIDX
          About $5.69 a pound I think...It's less than Laura's natural 96% lean beef, and tastes better too....Sometimes I eat buffalo too, but I can't right now as it's not lean enough.....
          STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

top round roasts and ccenter round roasts, both very lean, probably in the 93-96% range if you trim it abit.

They go on sale frequently for 1.99 to 2.50 a lb.

I have ground my own for years, Cabellas has some decend electric grinders that make short work of 10-20lbs of beef.

A huge cost saver and you know that it is all beef

Comment

I do exactly as steel does as well. Most butchers dont mind at all, and the taste of the beef is better in my opinion. If you plan on using a foreman to cook, be careful, it can dry out real fast. I usually wrap in foil with a bit of water and cook at 300 for 20 minutes, then finish on the foreman just to get a nice crust.

Comment

http://boingboing.net/2012/03/29/pin...text-of-h.html
                Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
                kind of a douche

Comment

^^^ good link.

Honestly beef is too expensive for me, so idgaf.

Comment

I may be getting access to some grass fed beef straight from the farmer soon. The pricing is actually similar to that of the grocery store. The problem is that you need to buy a lot so a freezer is a necessity and you may have to go in on it with other people. Also, you will be buying the whole cow not just the good lean cuts, but if that isn't a problem then it's a great idea.
                    1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
                    2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
                    2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
                    2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
                    2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
                    2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

Truenutrition.com
                    Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Talking about buying beef from the farmers reminds me of this... Though I know that's not likely to be the way the cows are slaughtered, it's just a funny scene.

[YOUTUBE]u9Jr2jkbfzk[/YOUTUBE]

Comment

I thought this thread was about something else.

Comment

Sammich- great link.

As far as I can tell no one really has given up store bought ground beef as a result of the pink slime being in the mix. I understand the preference to have the butcher grind cuts and getting the beef leaner, but for those of us that use store bought ground beef I can't see any reason to get up in arms or be concerned about this "pink slime".

Comment

Working...
                          X