Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice on Purchasing a Suit for Interviews.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on Purchasing a Suit for Interviews.

I graduate in less than two months, and need to purchase a suit for interviews.

I don’t have any questions on style/color/fabrics, but am open to any advice.

However, I was curious where all of you were able to find the best fits for our muscular builds. Obviously I will be having any suit I buy tailored, but would like to start as close to a proper fit as possible.

Obviously I don't want to spend a fortune on my *first* suit, but I do have funds set aside for the purchase.

I am 6’1, ~238, have a 36” waist and a 46” chest.

Thanks for any advice that is offered.

www.indochino.com

I'm wearing one of their suits right now and it's great. Paid less than $400 and the details you can add is no different than something a tailor would make you for $1000+ (pique stitching, choice of lapel styles, different pocket/button placements). Plus they have a "perfect fit" guarantee. Check out the website. I was leery about buying somehting like this on-line, but it came in fitting perfectly...material isn;t bad either for $400.
    "no bulking, no cutting, no bullshit. Just training for being a motherfucker" -- Jim Wendler

"No fucking lifter is hardcore. Hardcore is taking shrapnel in the ass fighting for your country. We're lifting weights." -- Dave Tate

Check out my Journal

Comment

Originally posted by BB85 View Post
      www.indochino.com

I'm wearing one of their suits right now and it's great. Paid less than $400 and the details you can add is no different than something a tailor would make you for $1000+ (pique stitching, choice of lapel styles, different pocket/button placements). Plus they have a "perfect fit" guarantee. Check out the website. I was leery about buying somehting like this on-line, but it came in fitting perfectly...material isn;t bad either for $400.
      I saw your last post about this website. I ordered pants from makeyourownjeans.com once, and they fit horribly.

If I had more time to afford for something going wrong, I would try indochino out. Unfortunately, with <2 months, I need something that I can trust to fit, like going into and dealing with a local tailor.

I appreciate the link, though.
      Last edited by DOHCrazy; 03-26-2012, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Okay, after further inspection of this website, I am thinking it may be a good option.

Comment

I use mens warehouse. They give me a huge discount at the one here in town. Their taylor is good too. I think it just depends on the person who is doing the work, rather than the company.

I got $900 suit, shirt, ties, for ~$400. Nice to know people I guess.
          2005 HOA Natural Classic
          2006 OCB Midwest
          2007 ABA Natural Illinois
          2008 HOA Natural Classic
          NPC Mid-Illinois
          NPC Midwest Open
          NPC Natural Grand Prix
          2012 NGA Clash of the Titans
          USPA Illinois State
          NGA Heart of America
          NGA Clash of the Titans

SAVE 5% ON YOUR NEXT ORDER FROM www.truenutrition.com order - Use Code RHB606

Comment

I can't comment on that site but I can say that when it comes to suits in general... You get what you pay for. If you are expecting to stay at around the same size then its worth it to get a tailored suit. When you have a well made suit that fits perfect you just carry yourself differently.

As far as style, color and stuff like that...use common sense. If you are going into a pure business field that doesn't require or even want creativity just remember that. Go conservative and almost subservient.... What I mean is your cloths can show you have a desire and willingness to conform and fit in. Just as if you are going into a field that requires creativity and free thought.... Still be reasonably conservative for a interview but take a chance with your tie, shoes, pocket square... Things like that.... Wear a funky watch... Just as if you are going into finance you want to wear a conservative but expensive watch ....

This stuff is just common sense and if you go to a QUALITY tailor and have a suit made he will ask you a ton of questions about what the suit is for, why your getting it, etc...
            Follow my NEW journal if you please:

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=48304

"They say I'm no good...cause I'm so hood, rich folks do not want me around" 50

"You are you. That is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
            Dr. Seuss

I would like to thank all the stupid people of the world. Without you guys I would only be average.

"Tell them bitches get a stick I'm done leading the blind"
            Nicki Minaj

Comment

Originally posted by breck View Post
              I use mens warehouse. They give me a huge discount at the one here in town. Their taylor is good too. I think it just depends on the person who is doing the work, rather than the company.

I got $900 suit, shirt, ties, for ~$400. Nice to know people I guess.
              I'm going to take a look there Wednesday. $900 is out of my price range, I already have shoes, belt, and a tie, just need the suit and a shirt. Am really wanting to stay under $500.

Comment

Nordstrom's Joseph Abboud made to measure option is a good one. I have a few suits from this program. you can chose your own fabric options. Mine are 'range 3 or 4' (when you look at the fabric swatches this will make sense) and are Zegna or Loro Piana.
                Decent value, IMO.

Comment

I just bought a suit last weekend at the Men's Warehouse and paid under $150. I am 5'4" and have a 42" chest and 32" waist. They didn't have a big selection for me because I am so short, but I found one and had to have the pant legs and arms of the jacket cut way down (it was $20 for the tailor fees and it was ready in 3 days).

I guess what I am getting at is you should let them measure you on the spot and they will show you a selection of suits that will fit you best.

BTW- Congrats on your graduation.
                  Last edited by TLopez; 03-26-2012, 04:47 PM.
                  2014 USPA Nevada State / Regional Championships - 1,168 total

2014 USPA National Championships - 1,235 total

2014 Village Gym Meet - 1,260 total

2015 USPA Camp Pendleton Meet - 1,235 total

Journal: http://intensemuscle.com/showthread....80#post1112980

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCrazy View Post
                    I'm going to take a look there Wednesday. $900 is out of my price range, I already have shoes, belt, and a tie, just need the suit and a shirt. Am really wanting to stay under $500.
                    The last suit I got at Men's Warehouse was about $600, that was with 2 shirts and 2 ties also....I think I am built somwhat like you....I am tall, so everything is short on my arms, have a small waist compared to my chest/back measurement, AND I have long legs to boot....I picked out a suit off the rack, they fitted it to me and custom tailored it for about $30 if I remember correctly.....They had it finished in a day or two and it was perfect. Plus, you can take it there as long as you own it and get it pressed for free....They really do it right over there imo....
                    STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

Mens Wearhouse has been great for jackets for me. What I have noticed, with some of 'our' builds, however, is that the tailoring can be just as expensive as the jacket itself. It hasnt happened in every case, but damn, I spend alot in tailoring.

Another route I have gone is to go to the suit department at a Macys or similar. They have "suit separates", which have suits, but the pants and jackets are separated by size (like, when I go to Mens Wearhouse, I pick out a 52 coat, and the pants are 44 or something...that does not work). So, you can pick out a nice navy pinstripe suit jacket size 46 and then walk right next it and find the matching pants that are 36/32 or 36/34. If the pants fit well, you may only have to have the jacket tailored. And...that is a must. You do not want to look sloppy (obviously).

Recommend either a navy or grey suit. Nothing flashy. And make sure your shoes are shined/polished (failure to do so exudes laziness and not serious). Take the time to prepare...have your shirt ironed and everything ready to roll the night before. Also, if there is a receptionist, be polite and courteous (I have not hired people b/c they were rude and short with ours).

You may/may not know those things...but just throwing that out for you. Best of luck. And, of course, congratulations.

-slide
                      "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a pussy."

"Carry 24/7 or guess right."

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

"993 yo f9t[n9y[I8itineraryBMiy v][/t u 98 oh 99 u]y8y u[/hy jyip NH j o have I h"

Comment

I like slides advice.

Don't fasten the bottom button- amazing how many men are unaware of that 'rule'.
                        PM me to discuss website/video/dvd etc. related work.

Comment

Make sure the suits fits properly. Tailoring is everything. Nothing worse than a man in a poorly fitting suit. Remember Coleman's suits? Let's not go there. Think more along the lines of Arnold.

Yes tailoring can be expensive (we probably all have the problem of having to get shirts tailored because the shoulders fit nicely but the waist needs to be taken in), but it's worth it because shit that fits poorly just makes you look sloppy. Get a dark gray suit, it'll be good for graduations and job interviews. I guess you could go for blue as well but it's a bit too conservative for my tastes.
                          Disclaimer: I am not a DC trainee/expert/guru/coach, anything I say is purely my opinion based on experience and research I've read

Comment

Marshalls... then bring it to a good tailor.

Comment

A suit can only be "tailored" so much. Going by his pics and vids.... I think it will be quite hard for him to buy an off the rack suit and have it tailored to fit RIGHT. It can look passable or ok but I can't see it looking "RIGHT".
                              Follow my NEW journal if you please:

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=48304

"They say I'm no good...cause I'm so hood, rich folks do not want me around" 50

"You are you. That is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
                              Dr. Seuss

I would like to thank all the stupid people of the world. Without you guys I would only be average.

"Tell them bitches get a stick I'm done leading the blind"
                              Nicki Minaj

Comment

Working...
                              X