Switching Gyms, Do You Do It?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switching Gyms, Do You Do It?

I'm getting kind of bored where I train right now, and was thinking about switching it up for a bit. Do the folks at IM stick with one facility, or do you mix it up once in a while?
    You're perfect, yes it's true. But without me...you're only you.

Being in London, the selection of gyms is shit. They are all foo-foo 'health clubs'. As such, now that I have found a good one, actual gym that is, there is no moving for me!

However, we are considering moving house and that may necessitate said gym switch, but I may find a workaround to stay at the one I currently use.
    My Log: Back to Basics

Comment

I switch it up only if I have out lifted the current gym (DBs not high enough, not the machines I need to continue progressing, etc) or the place is getting too crowded. I have never switched gyms just for the hell of it.

Comment

I like switching it up depending on my routine. More variation, if I'm powerlifting or on squat or deadlift day I'll prefer to be around like minded people.

Comment

Ive trained at one place for the better part of seven years (Golds). Now, there are four in the area that I have a membership too, however, I only use one. I have talked to a couple guys that do 'leg' day at one golds, chest at another, etc...due to the equipment. The problem is I train at 0400 and the one I go to is 24 hours...the others are not. So, it would have to be a weekend thing.

Whats boring you at your current gym? Just curious...

-slide
          "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a pussy."

"Carry 24/7 or guess right."

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

"993 yo f9t[n9y[I8itineraryBMiy v][/t u 98 oh 99 u]y8y u[/hy jyip NH j o have I h"

Comment

Originally posted by TeddyD View Post
            Being in London, the selection of gyms is shit. They are all foo-foo 'health clubs'. As such, now that I have found a good one, actual gym that is, there is no moving for me!

However, we are considering moving house and that may necessitate said gym switch, but I may find a workaround to stay at the one I currently use.
            x 2 that, Im living in London at the moment and HATEE the gym I train at, but got no other option apart from these damn heath clubs..

Comment

Originally posted by slide View Post
              Ive trained at one place for the better part of seven years (Golds). Now, there are four in the area that I have a membership too, however, I only use one. I have talked to a couple guys that do 'leg' day at one golds, chest at another, etc...due to the equipment. The problem is I train at 0400 and the one I go to is 24 hours...the others are not. So, it would have to be a weekend thing.

Whats boring you at your current gym? Just curious...

-slide
              Just routine. Seeing the same people, using the same equipment, I simply crave a change in scenery mostly.

Comment

Where abouts in London are you guys?

Comment

Originally posted by thehazzle View Post
                  West London- Richmond

Comment

Wembley anywhere near you? http://www.genesisgym.co.uk/

Comment

I'm in a pretty good position that I have two gyms that I have memberships to. One that I got when they opened and it was dirt cheap and the other that is my main gym. Then I have a couple friends that own gyms that let me train for free, but I have to make a little bit of a drive. Over the course of a training season I find that I like the variety more in the offseason. Getting ready for show can be difficult and I prefer my main gym or my home gym. My home gym is fully loaded and fits the bit nicely when you are feeling like crap towards the end of a prep. The main gym is good too if I feel like I'm not pushing myself had enough at home. Normally that isn't a problem, but lately I started feeling that way and noticed an improvement in my workouts. My main problem is finding workout partners. There is a big lack of serious trainers when I'm at the gym. Sometimes it's nice to be in complete control of your training and others it's better to have the extra push.
                      1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
                      2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
                      2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
                      2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
                      2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
                      2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

Truenutrition.com
                      Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Originally posted by thehazzle View Post
                        I am in St John's Wood. I train at Soho Gyms in Camden which is close to home.

Funny thing is the wife and I are looking at moving out to Richmond/Petersham. My biggest concern, apart from the increased travel time is a gym. However, there is a Soho in Waterloo and as I work in The City, it should be no problem to train on the way home. I can vouch for the Soho Gym's being good - lots of plates, and bars, plate loaded machines, etc.

I worked out at Genesis for 3 months a couple of years back and loved it. However, the driving travel time to and fro made me stop as it took too long. I checked the distance from Richmond to Genesis and it is a pain...
                        My Log: Back to Basics

Comment

Originally posted by Doberman View Post
                          I'm in a pretty good position that I have two gyms that I have memberships to. One that I got when they opened and it was dirt cheap and the other that is my main gym. Then I have a couple friends that own gyms that let me train for free, but I have to make a little bit of a drive. Over the course of a training season I find that I like the variety more in the offseason. Getting ready for show can be difficult and I prefer my main gym or my home gym. My home gym is fully loaded and fits the bit nicely when you are feeling like crap towards the end of a prep. The main gym is good too if I feel like I'm not pushing myself had enough at home. Normally that isn't a problem, but lately I started feeling that way and noticed an improvement in my workouts. My main problem is finding workout partners. There is a big lack of serious trainers when I'm at the gym. Sometimes it's nice to be in complete control of your training and others it's better to have the extra push.
                          It'd be glorious to have a training partner once in awhile, which might be part of my motivation for looking around as well.

I just don't trust cardio mom or cable machine grandpa to keep me from getting buried on that last set.

Comment

Originally posted by RageBlanket View Post
                            It'd be glorious to have a training partner once in awhile, which might be part of my motivation for looking around as well.

I just don't trust cardio mom or cable machine grandpa to keep me from getting buried on that last set.
                            lol

Comment

I have memberships to 2 gyms also....used to be three...lol. I rarely train at the one gym since I've been training with my bro, and he's not a member there. I can train AND tan at Retro, and their equipment is better, but the other gym has heavier dumbells and that's always nice....at 20 bucks a month each, I figure I can't go wrong. I get two memberships AND tanning for about $50 a month....
                              STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

Working...
                              X