Trying to get custody of my grandson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to get custody of my grandson

This should be interesting. My oldest son and his ex-girlfriend had the baby 2 years ago. They split up. She was living with her uncle and aunt. My son would get visitation. She was ruled unfit by the state (NC) after numerous shoplifting, drug and parole violations. The aunt and uncle are 60+. He is a drunk and a felon and has threatened to kill my son before.
    There have been pictures of the child hold beer cans and liquor bottle, bruises on his butt and face, clearly from a hand. They both smoke and the aunt needs kidney dialysis every day.
    It's rumored that the state said the child was not to be in that house anyway but I'm having an ass pain of a time contacting child protective services to verify. My son has since lost his job and living with his aunt He parties too much and has had issues in the past as well.

I've contacted a lawyer after I recently found out the aunt and uncle has filed for custody. Now I get to fly back and forth to Raleigh, NC for visitation before going to the custody hearing in May. I've never met my grandson but cannot let him live like this. It's totally going to blindside the aunt and uncle and I hope he says anything at all to me.

I'm accepting frequent flyer miles
    Bryan

Colorado Patriot Guard Rider

Good luck to you Bryan, you def. doing the right thing IMO.
    SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

Best of luck Bryan. I went through a custody battle and your best hope is a very good lawyer. You being there for your grandchild is the best thing in the world. Good luck again.

Use my discount code JHR112 and get 5% off at TrueProtein.com

"Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder, but don't nobody wanna lift no heavy-ass weight!"-Ronnie Coleman

GET THE DAMN WEIGHT UP AND BEAT THE LOGBOOK WITH BIG WEIGHT JUMPS-Dante

Comment

Yes, I have a good lawyer and a $5k retainer to get things going :twitch: The aunt and uncle did a self-file to try for custody. I'm fairly sure they couldn't afford one anyway.
        Bryan

Comment

Good luck, this stuff can def get tricky sometimes. I hope all works out for the child....It seems like so many kids just get left behind in the shuffle these days, just a very big shame....
          STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

I am a cop and we love to assist in these cases. Try contacting the local cops to where the boy lives and see if the Officer In Charge of the station will talk to Child Services about the fact that there is another option for the child.

Get listed on the computer system as a NOK (Next of Kin) so if Child Services or Police go around for a Domestic or similar they punch in details for NOK and you name comes up and you get called to collect. Once you have custody given to you under these circumstances then most Depatrments try to leave the kid in the new home.

We get the kids transported to different states and sometimes even different countries same day if there is a neglect or abuse issue and there is someone appropriate available. I recently had a kid in need with no dad and a drug fcuked mum and got them to New Zealand ( I'm in Australia) to Gran on the same day.
            "Be gentle in what you do, firm in how you do it."
            Buck Brannaman.

"It is the certainty of punishment that deters crime, not the severity of it."
            'Hanging' Judge PARKER

"Nothing is so powerful as an insight into human nature... what compulsions drive a man, what instincts dominate his action... if you know these things about a man you can touch him at the core of his being."
            ~William Bernbach

Comment

Best of luck. it will be a tough road but so worth it!
              -KidRok-
              "...because I won't accept that I can't."

www.https://Truenutrition.com/
              5% OFF with Discount Code "FXL222"

https://www.facebook.com/hopsfitnessxl

Comment

Originally posted by BryanB View Post
                This should be interesting. My oldest son and his ex-girlfriend had the baby 2 years ago. They split up. She was living with her uncle and aunt. My son would get visitation. She was ruled unfit by the state (NC) after numerous shoplifting, drug and parole violations. The aunt and uncle are 60+. He is a drunk and a felon and has threatened to kill my son before.
                There have been pictures of the child hold beer cans and liquor bottle, bruises on his butt and face, clearly from a hand. They both smoke and the aunt needs kidney dialysis every day.
                It's rumored that the state said the child was not to be in that house anyway but I'm having an ass pain of a time contacting child protective services to verify. My son has since lost his job and living with his aunt He parties too much and has had issues in the past as well.

I've contacted a lawyer after I recently found out the aunt and uncle has filed for custody. Now I get to fly back and forth to Raleigh, NC for visitation before going to the custody hearing in May. I've never met my grandson but cannot let him live like this. It's totally going to blindside the aunt and uncle and I hope he says anything at all to me.

I'm accepting frequent flyer miles
                Good luck Bryan, anyway I can help, say the word. I actually may be able to help with the miles. I have to fly to Chicago for work and I can collect the miles, I'll look into it and let you know
                For Training Inquiries go see the HNIC [email protected] anything else is uncivilized

Comment

Bryan, I think involving a lawyer on your behalf is the best thing you can do. I have been in a similar situation. I can give you more details in PM if you like.
                  But I think you face a few uphill battles.
                  First: Have the parents lost/forfeited their parental rights? If your grandson is just living with the aunt/uncle and wasnt placed their by the court its gonna be tuff.
                  Second: The fact that you live far away from the parents (if they havent lost/forfeited custody) is gonna be a big problem. In the state Im in DCYF is ordered by the court to do whatever it takes to reunite the child with the parents until their right are terminated.

Comment

The mother was ruled unfit so she's out of the picture. My son has lost his job there and doesn't have a place to keep him. There were some issues with him as well. I'm currently waiting for the CPS to let my lawyer know about the living situation my grandson is in. At one time he was not allowed to be in that house. That was just over a year ago and this case worker is the second one to be involved in the last year. They swap cases around like borrowing library books.
                    Bryan

Comment

Good luck Bryan. I think going down regularly when you can and establishing a relationship will be a big help.

Comment

Working...
                      X