No announcement yet.

Hypoglycemia, panic attack, or asthma?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hypoglycemia, panic attack, or asthma?

Got to the gym, started working out and either had

a) A panic attack
    b) Hypoglycemia
    c) A combination of both
    d) Exercise induced asthma (I had asthma until age 13 and seemingly "grew out of it".

This has been happening frequently lately and I am getting worried so to the doctor I go. Basically what happens is that my heartrate suddenly increases and I get a feeling that NO AMOUNT OF OXYGEN is enough and a feeling that I can't swallow (classic panic attack signs). I went to the ER for this 6 months back or so because I didn't know what it was and I literally thought I was dying. They ran a million tests on me and found nothing wrong and chalked it up to a panic attack (this also was right after a high intensity workout). It happened on and off randomly for the last few months...like I would just be watching a movie and everything is ho hum and suddenly it happens and I sit there trying to control my breathing until it stops. It happened really bad at the dentist while I was getting a cavity filled. That was a non workout day and I got it BAD. Talk about freaking out...try feeling like you can't breathe with a dentist holding your mouth open with a drill inside.

One of the reasons I think it may be related to hypoglycemia is because it happened REALLY bad wednesday after my workout and I was very depleted (didn't eat much at all during the day) then I had 3 servings of cereal in milk, so basically pure sugar, and 20 minutes later I started literally shaking and had the same feeling I got when I went to the ER. Then I ate a ton of fat/protein food through the night and I was 100% fine an hour or so later...slept like a baby and my breathing was great.

I personally think it is probably hypoglycemia that triggers the event, then I freak out and make it even worse (panic attack) and a vicious cycle occurs.

Either way, I have good insurance so I am getting it checked out.

I just wanted to know if anyone has experienced anything like this because I know a lot of you guys on here slam the simple carbs pre/post workout. Is a normal family practice DR the person I need to go to?

So while I can't rule out anything for certain having not met you, I CAN say it does not sound like asthma. You are able to get air IN right and just feel like you can't catch your breath?
    In an asthma attack your airways narrow and you have a combination of things going on depending on how bad it is, but because of the narrowing you will have a hard time exhaling fully and with start to air trap, and then be able to inhale either. If it's really bad you will start out not being able to inhale, because the caliber of your airways is so small.

I would start with your PCP physician and see what they think and then they can refer you to someone else if need be. Sounds just like the panic attacks my wife used to get.
    Heavy squats fix everything.

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
      So while I can't rule out anything for certain having not met you, I CAN say it does not sound like asthma. You are able to get air IN right and just feel like you can't catch your breath?
      In an asthma attack your airways narrow and you have a combination of things going on depending on how bad it is, but because of the narrowing you will have a hard time exhaling fully and with start to air trap, and then be able to inhale either. If it's really bad you will start out not being able to inhale, because the caliber of your airways is so small.

I would start with your PCP physician and see what they think and then they can refer you to someone else if need be. Sounds just like the panic attacks my wife used to get.
      Yup, I can get air in and out fine, it just never feels like enough, which is exactly how they describe a panic attack. When I had asthma when I was younger, I always had a burning cough associated with it.

Thanks for chiming in..

I am still feeling it and it has been an hour . It truly is an awful feeling. One of the scariest feelings is the feeling of suffocation. I fucking hate this feeling.

Comment

My wife will kill me for saying this but she has them infrequently (panic attacks) and she says the same thing: that she feels like she is dying in slow motion because of suffocation.

Of course, my wife is just nuts so that might be part of it.

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
        Instagram: @intensemuscle
        YouTube: TEAMSKIP
        TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Another note..

I did have social anxiety really bad in highschool which I also grew out of (I was a really late bloomer). I am pretty much the opposite now, however. But maybe something is still engraved in my subconscious or something because I really have no stress in my life, my wife is a great person, hot , and I have a great job. I really have nothing to complain about, so if it is indeed a panic attack, I have no clue why.

Comment

I am not sure but I thought panic attacks were not predictable in that anyone could get them? My wife doesn't have much stress, either, and is generally a very happy person. She doesn't get them frequently but when she does she freaks and usually ends up going to the hospital because she SWEARS it isn't a panic attack (most people do the same thing).

Skip
            Originally posted by SkinnyMike42 View Post
            Another note..

I did have social anxiety really bad in highschool which I also grew out of (I was a really late bloomer). I am pretty much the opposite now, however. But maybe something is still engraved in my subconscious or something because I really have no stress in my life, my wife is a great person, hot , and I have a great job. I really have nothing to complain about, so if it is indeed a panic attack, I have no clue why.

Facebook: Skip Hill
            Instagram: @intensemuscle
            YouTube: TEAMSKIP
            TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Did you consume any caffeine prior to experiencing this?

Don't want to get into the whole story, but during one ER visit, the doctor on duty told me that he sees at least 5 people per ER shift he works that consumed some sort of energy drink beforehand (said 5 hour energy is the most common)
              Last edited by thsfootball; 02-10-2012, 11:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by thsfootball View Post
                Did you consume any caffeine prior to experiencing this?

Don't want to get into the whole story, but during one ER visit, the doctor on duty told me that he sees at least 5 people per ER shift he works that consumed some sort of energy drink beforehand (said 5 hour energy is the most common)
                Yes, I had buzzsaw. But it has happened plenty of times where I didn't consume any caffeine at all. Today I had one coffee at 9 am and buzzsaw as a preworkout.

Anyway, I feel fine now guys. Probably just a panic attack .

Comment

I have anxiety issues and I know that the panic attacks suck big time....I've never gotten one training, but I frequently get them at nite while sleeping....very odd, but at times I wake up and feel like I simply cannot get enough air in me. I huff and puff but at times I'm sure I'm just gonna keel over....lol. Had tests run on my heart and stuff and all was well. Got a script for Lorazepam, and when I take that it certainly helps.....The weird thing is that I seem to wake up with it. Then I think about it and it only gets worse.....Lol. As far as being stressed, you absolutely don't have to have alot of stress in your life to suffer from anxiety or panic attacks. Yes, it may be more common among those with high stress, but anyone can suffer from this.....good luck.....
                  STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

Originally posted by steel1970 View Post
                    I have anxiety issues and I know that the panic attacks suck big time....I've never gotten one training, but I frequently get them at nite while sleeping....very odd, but at times I wake up and feel like I simply cannot get enough air in me. I huff and puff but at times I'm sure I'm just gonna keel over....lol. Had tests run on my heart and stuff and all was well. Got a script for Lorazepam, and when I take that it certainly helps.....The weird thing is that I seem to wake up with it. Then I think about it and it only gets worse.....Lol. As far as being stressed, you absolutely don't have to have alot of stress in your life to suffer from anxiety or panic attacks. Yes, it may be more common among those with high stress, but anyone can suffer from this.....good luck.....
                    Thanks Steel that made me feel a lot better. I am gonna get some meds to at least control the symptoms when it happens. I know what you mean by thinking about it making it worse. Frustrating as hell.

One thing I did leave out and I think it is definitely related. I get very occasional night terrors. I basically burst out of bed, not under my own power, and when I come to after about 3 seconds my heart is pounding out of my chest. This has happened my whole life basically.

Comment

I sometimes become a nervous wreck, but never feel like I can't breathe or feel like I'm dying. I account it to work related stress. I am somewhat of a perfectionist, even my penmanship has to be spot on or I will rip up the paper and start over. It sucks. I see people who don't give 2 shits about anything and stroll through their day.

My point is, Mike, that I see that perfectionist personality in you when I read your posts and watch the videos you post. You seem too be very concentrated on everything you do. I completely understand, and sympathize with you.

But, I would rather be "anal" than be a "slacker".

Hope it's nothing serious. Keep us posted brother.
                      Last edited by TLopez; 02-11-2012, 12:07 AM.
                      2014 USPA Nevada State / Regional Championships - 1,168 total

2014 USPA National Championships - 1,235 total

2014 Village Gym Meet - 1,260 total

2015 USPA Camp Pendleton Meet - 1,235 total

Journal: http://intensemuscle.com/showthread....80#post1112980

Comment

Originally posted by TLopez View Post
                        I sometimes become a nervous wreck, but never feel like I can't breathe or feel like I'm dying. I account it to work related stress. I am somewhat of a perfectionist, even my penmanship has to be spot on or I will rip up the paper and start over. It sucks. I see people who don't give 2 shits about anything and stroll through their day.

My point is, Mike, that I see that perfectionist personality in you when I read your posts and watch the videos you post. You seem too be very concentrated on everything you do. I completely understand, and sympathize with you.

But, I would rather be "anal" than be a "slacker".

Hope it's nothing serious. Keep us posted brother.
                        Haha, I don't think I am a perfectionist. I am driven, however, in anything I am interested in, so I may come off that way. The funny part is, I am never a nervous wreck about anything really, that is why this is so confusing.

I will figure it out...or at the very least, get some crazy pillz.

Comment

Mike, one thing I will say, is that if you do get a script, make sure that you watch yourself closely with it. If you get Lorazepam or something similar that is a "benzo", they are addictive/habit forming, so you must use them with this in mind. I use mine at bedtime, and I make certain I don't take them more than two days in a row. I just don't wanna find out the hard way what an addiction to them could be like.....Regardless, they do help me tremendously at times. I just use with caution.....
                          STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

Omg, I got teh drugz

Comment

Originally posted by SkinnyMike42 View Post
                              Omg, I got teh drugz
                              So does this mean you are a bonafide nut with certificates and everything? LOL :insane: :runaway: :nuts: :clock: :wacko:
                              2014 USPA Nevada State / Regional Championships - 1,168 total

2014 USPA National Championships - 1,235 total

2014 Village Gym Meet - 1,260 total

2015 USPA Camp Pendleton Meet - 1,235 total

Journal: http://intensemuscle.com/showthread....80#post1112980

Comment

Working...
                              X