Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skip, Heard of this Colorado Kid?

New powerlifting world-record holder is a 13-year-old girl from Colorado

"Holding eight different world records for her relatively slight weight class -- 105.75 pounds -- as well as 23 U.S. and Colorado state records..."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highsc...194316479.html
    2014 USPA Nevada State / Regional Championships - 1,168 total

2014 USPA National Championships - 1,235 total

2014 Village Gym Meet - 1,260 total

2015 USPA Camp Pendleton Meet - 1,235 total

Journal: http://intensemuscle.com/showthread....80#post1112980

Hadn't heard of her until now. I wonder if she is from Denver?

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
    Instagram: @intensemuscle
    YouTube: TEAMSKIP
    TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Originally posted by TLopez View Post
      New powerlifting world-record holder is a 13-year-old girl from Colorado

"Holding eight different world records for her relatively slight weight class -- 105.75 pounds -- as well as 23 U.S. and Colorado state records..."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highsc...194316479.html
      Originally posted by Ken "Skip" Hill View Post

Skip
      This is slightly off topic but also goes with that 10yr old girl who squatted 205lbs for that record. Does any of this lifting affect their growth, putting stress on the spine? I mean a 97lb girl squatting 205lbs +?
      For Training Inquiries go see the HNIC [email protected] anything else is uncivilized

Comment

Originally posted by Ken "Skip" Hill View Post

Skip
        I read another article on her saying she is from Broomfield, Colorado.

"Abbey started weight lifting three years ago. Her Dad brought her along one morning to Defy Crossfit Gym in Broomfield." -Corey Rose, 9news.com

Here is the article:

http://www.9news.com/news/local/arti...weight-lifter-

Comment

Originally posted by DCBliever View Post
          Does any of this lifting affect their growth, putting stress on the spine? I mean a 97lb girl squatting 205lbs +?
          I was wondering the same thing.

Comment

Broomfield is a northerly suburb of Denver. I haven't heard of the gym.

I wouldn't feel very comfortable letting my 10 year old squat that much, no. However, I admit to not really knowing if it is a good idea or not. I don't know what impact it can have on the bones, spine, etc..

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
            Instagram: @intensemuscle
            YouTube: TEAMSKIP
            TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

I will say that I BELIEVE that squating and doing deads as a teen limited my ht some. There is no way to know for certain but I hit my ht (5'10") at about 16 and that was it. I started squatting heavy at 14b and kept at it through my teens. Our gym had a board for "teen records" and I had it each year for squats (yea, today a gym would be in court it lill tommy pulled a hammy trying for a gym record). There is zero way for me to be certain but looking back I just don't see how putting 3-600 lbs on a developing spine twice a week could NOT effect it.
              Now I've read it argued that squats and deads will help with the development of the spine and done correctly that may very well be true. I would just be real careful about how often there is extremely overload placed on the spine.
              This is just what I WOULD DO.... I would let my kid squat and deads but those exs would be techniques and rep driven 99% of the time. I don't think it would be a problem going low once a month or so... Or doing a meet every so many months....but I wouldn't let them do what I did... Reps in the 2-5 range twice a week and max attempts every week or so.
              Again, no science to back any of that up, just my view.
              Follow my NEW journal if you please:

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=48304

"They say I'm no good...cause I'm so hood, rich folks do not want me around" 50

"You are you. That is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
              Dr. Seuss

I would like to thank all the stupid people of the world. Without you guys I would only be average.

"Tell them bitches get a stick I'm done leading the blind"
              Nicki Minaj

Comment

Everything that I have seen on younger kids lifting lately has been positive. Most don't feel like its as detrimental to height or growth as it was once thought. However, all articles I've seen have specified normal lifting, in moderate rep ranges and moderate weight, not lifting maximally. The saying when I was young and wanted to get started was that training would stunt your growth. I don't know if it's good for teens or not, but it seems that more kids are training these days, at least by the numbers I've been seeing in the gyms....
                STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

I know off topic, but moderate loads probably not, but maximal loads that compress the spine I'd be more inclined to say yes than no. But who knows, I think I'm shriking from heavy squatting
                  For Training Inquiries go see the HNIC [email protected] anything else is uncivilized

Comment

Originally posted by DCBliever View Post
                    I know off topic, but moderate loads probably not, but maximal loads that compress the spine I'd be more inclined to say yes than no. But who knows, I think I'm shriking from heavy squatting
                    This could be very true. Alot of times when I go to the chiro and he sets my hips correctly among other things, I can actually be closer to my true height of 6'4, rather than my beat up height of 6'3. I've actually measured myself and this is truly the case....That's why I tell people that I'm 6'3, but 6'4 on a good day....lol
                    STEEL

Comment

Originally posted by steel1970 View Post
                      This could be very true. Alot of times when I go to the chiro and he sets my hips correctly among other things, I can actually be closer to my true height of 6'4, rather than my beat up height of 6'3. I've actually measured myself and this is truly the case....That's why I tell people that I'm 6'3, but 6'4 on a good day....lol
                      Any man legitimately over 6'2" has no right posting in this thread!!! Jk...if your measured ht is 6'3"-6'4" and you tell people 6'3" I bet most are like "no way...your way taller than that!"
                      Follow my NEW journal if you please:

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=48304

"They say I'm no good...cause I'm so hood, rich folks do not want me around" 50

"You are you. That is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
                      Dr. Seuss

I would like to thank all the stupid people of the world. Without you guys I would only be average.

"Tell them bitches get a stick I'm done leading the blind"
                      Nicki Minaj

Comment

Originally posted by thedunhill225 View Post
                        Any man legitimately over 6'2" has no right posting in this thread!!! Jk...if your measured ht is 6'3"-6'4" and you tell people 6'3" I bet most are like "no way...your way taller than that!"
                        You're right, they do say that! Lol
                        STEEL

Comment

Working...
                        X