Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When making weight is part of your profession....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When making weight is part of your profession....

As a wrestler for a large portion of my life I can't understand how this happens as often as it does...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mma-ca...214932854.html
    1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
    2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
    2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
    2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
    2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
    2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

Truenutrition.com
    Use Discount Code AMJ

Only wrestling for a short time as a youth, I never really had to cut weight. But my son is 12, and he's had to cut prior to tournaments the last 3 years. I don't honk ts very healthy for kids, especially when their bodies are screaming to grow, but I have no clue how a pro fighter can miss weight. That's just crazy!
    STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

I think making/letting kids cut for weight in wrestling is an incredibly unethical thing to do.

As a paid professional, I don't know how you don't make it happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Doberman View Post
        As a wrestler for a large portion of my life I can't understand how this happens as often as it does...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mma-ca...214932854.html
        That is pretty ridiculous. He is a PROFESSIONAL! He should know enough and have the resources in place to get him to where he needs to be.

I wrestled for a number of years and never once did I miss weight. However, I also did not know how to cut weight and be healthy, so I would go for prolonged periods of time without food or only eating tiny amounts. And would ump rope in a boiler rooms for hours the day before a big meet to drop my water weight. Damn, was I unhealthy...and looking back on it, although it taught me many good lessons about myself and overcoming adversity and built a lot of mental toughness, for health reasons, I wish I never wrestled, or at least did not take such an extreme approach.
        Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
        2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
        2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

as some of you know i work with some fighters here at the beach on conditioning and helping them to make weight. (i talked about this quite a bit in my book) its amazing to find out how guys really have no clue on how to make weight for fights or to see them fighting one or even two classes above where they could safely fight. one of my guys has his first 135 fight coming up. he walks around near 170. i have been working w/him for 2.5 years now and told him when i first met him he could fight at 135 but he said he didnt think so. over the last couple of years he has slowly believed me and has fought at cw of 165, cw of 160 then a few fights at 155. his last fight he easily made 145 (143.5). he was 166 on fight night for that fight. he'll make weight at 135 this time and prolly be 160 on fight night 1/28/12

not making wight is hugely disrespectful to the sport, your opp and not to mention all the money that gets wasted. poor planning often times by coaches and laziness on the part of the fighter.

for my last meet i cut 40lbs in 6 weeks to make weight for the spf nattys in june of 011 and made the 242's.

i recently started dieting again w/my wife and have cut 14.2lbs in nine days and i feel great.
          site owner of ironaddicts.com

Comment

From what I hear Johnson has a problem with partying too much. I've heard that from people in the industry, but he also said that in the promo for his fight. He said he cut it out, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and chalk this up to very poor planning. I understand the idea of trying to be as heavy as possible for the actual fight, but I just can't imagine if this was my career not being ahead of schedule with the weight loss especially if I've missed weight before.

Truenutrition.com
            Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

NFL football players are the same way. They have no clue, most of them.

Skip

Sent from my Skip-Phone

Facebook: Skip Hill
              Instagram: @intensemuscle
              YouTube: TEAMSKIP
              TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

I forgot to mention, if you didn't read the article, that he was 11 lbs over! That's just crazy.

Truenutrition.com
                Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

My brother and I wrestled for many years and not once did we not make weight. Now the methods used to lose the weight was not the healthiest by any means, but you have to fulfill the commitment you make to coaches, your team mates, and most importantly yourself. My brother is now a professional jockey racing thoroughbred horses in the U.S. and Canada. His natural body weight is around 135 (@5' even), but he drops to 115 and maintains for long periods of time because he is a very dedicated person (and the money's good). I've never heard of anyone being 11 lbs over, that is shameful to his his workout partners and coaches prepping him for this fight.
                  Last edited by TLopez; 01-14-2012, 06:53 PM.
                  2014 USPA Nevada State / Regional Championships - 1,168 total

2014 USPA National Championships - 1,235 total

2014 Village Gym Meet - 1,260 total

2015 USPA Camp Pendleton Meet - 1,235 total

Journal: http://intensemuscle.com/showthread....80#post1112980

Comment

Working...
                  X