Success at Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Success at Work

I have recently taken on a new role in my company that is geared more towards leadership and employee development. Speaking with some co-workers about what traits should get the most attention in development and training has sparked some very interesting conversations.

I am curious as to what the IM members consider the two main attributes necessary for, or indicative of success at work? Do you think each job is so individualistic that they are all different (if so, give an example), or do you think there are some basic attributes that apply across specialties? What is an area of personal development that you wish your employer had offered at some point in your career to make you more successful?
    2010 NPC North Star

JJ DID TIE BUCKLE

Judgement
    Justice

Dependability
    Initiative
    Decisiveness

Tact
    Integrity
    Enthusiasm

Bearing
    Unselfishness
    Courage
    Knowledge
    Loyalty
    Endurance

Forming the world's best leaders since 1775...
    Journal http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=51093

Comment

What has made me successful...granted I do software development, so I am not sure how this applies to what you are doing but..

1) Persistence. I will never deliver something that I feel can still be improved.
      2) Knowing that whatever I deliver has my name written all over it.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam2433 View Post
        JJ DID TIE BUCKLE

Judgement
        Justice

Dependability
        Initiative
        Decisiveness

Tact
        Integrity
        Enthusiasm

Bearing
        Unselfishness
        Courage
        Knowledge
        Loyalty
        Endurance

Forming the world's best leaders since 1775...
        That was a nice list Adam. What do you feel are the most important 2 or 3 from it?

Sent from the shitter
        2010 NPC North Star

Comment

Originally posted by SkinnyMike42 View Post
          What has made me successful...granted I do software development, so I am not sure how this applies to what you are doing but..

1) Persistence. I will never deliver something that I feel can still be improved.
          2) Knowing that whatever I deliver has my name written all over it.

So it sounds like accountability has played a huge factor for you. Any areas for improvement that you think would make you better at your job?

Sent from the shitter
          2010 NPC North Star

Comment

Originally posted by Macho Man View Post
            So it sounds like accountability has played a huge factor for you. Any areas for improvement that you think would make you better at your job?

Sent from the shitter
            Consistent sleep lol. When I am tired, my focus goes to shit and I have to spend way more time getting the product right. Sounds really simple, but it makes a huge difference for me since I am staring at code all day and doing calculations. It may not make a difference for other people depending on their profession.

Comment

I think the leading traits are somewhat inherited or learned through their upbringing and life experiences:

-Discipline
              -Drive

I think these traits transcend all specialties / fields as well. You have these two things, and you will succeed at most things.

Use the discount code "SPD365" for 5% off your orders at www.trueprotein.com; Order 16lbs or more, and you get 10% off!!!

Comment

Interesting.

I tend to believe that emotional intelligence is the thing that will most benefit an employee, regardless of the job.

I think that a majority of Americans could walk into a majority of jobs (obviously not all) and be trained how to do it with enough training, regardless of educational background. It it's how you relate to, work with, inspire, and affect your boss and co-workers that determines how successful you will be.

Sent from the shitter
                2010 NPC North Star

Comment

That was just the list of Marine Corps Leadership Traits. It was the first thing I thought of when I read your post. It's engrained in you from the start of bootcamp even when you have no one to lead but yourself.

I personally feel that initiative, loyalty and enthusiasm are the most important. If you have those 3 you can be trained or taught to accomplish anything.

Comment

That was just the list of Marine Corps Leadership Traits. It was the first thing I thought of when I read your post. It's engrained in you from the start of bootcamp even when you have no one to lead but yourself.

I personally feel that initiative, loyalty and enthusiasm are the most important. If you have those 3 you can be trained or taught to accomplish anything.
                    I'm interested to hear how loyalty plays a part.

Sent from the shitter
                    2010 NPC North Star

Comment

Interesting.

I tend to believe that emotional intelligence is the thing that will most benefit an employee, regardless of the job.
                      I agree that emotional intelligence is a key quality that effective leaders possess. One can be highly tactful, intelligent, motivated and have the ability to create a plan, but if they cannot relate to an inspire those around them, then all of those other characteristics cannot be utilized to their fullest potential and the organization will lack the unity needed to move in one direction to achieve an objective. Furthermore, showing empathy builds bonds and trust so that employees feel part of a larger team and cause. With this sense of belonging, when it comes time ask to individuals to go above and beyond, they will not feel "tasked" but rather feel they are working towards greater mission and take pride in helping the organization reach their goal.

Along with emotional intelligence, comes the ability to communicate idea effectively, understand employee needs, and address issues in a manner that is constructive rather than confrontational. Furthermore, having a high level of emotional intelligence has been shown to be a very difficult characteristic to develop in managers and often takes years of training to build a high level of an emotional intelligence when one does not already posses exhibit this trait. Research is still being performed on the topic as to why this is, but it is hypothesized that it is combination of upbringing and genetics.

One particular CEO comes to mind when dealing with emotional intelligence, that being Carly Fiorina, the former CEO of HP. She was on the fast track early on in her career and showed great initiative and success, however when she became CEO her management style was rigid and impersonal and she was not able to lead those around her. Despite having the technical knowledge, her inability to be an effective CEO is attributed to her lack of emotional intelligence.
                      Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
                      2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
                      2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Watch "Office space" - try not to follow those traits
                        Watch "12 o'clock high" - try to follow the displayed leadership traits of the main character

It's a fun and easy way to learn good and bad leadership traits.

Comment

Loyalty to the employer, the job to be done and to ones self. Loyalty goes hand in hand with the saying, "An honest days pay for an honest days work. ". A loyal employee seeks to do there best for the greater cause of the organization even if it require some personal hardship ie. a hard days work. A loyal employee thinks, "How can I make things better today." instead of "How can I get Company XYZ to give me more today?".

Comment

Loyalty to the employer, the job to be done and to ones self. Loyalty goes hand in hand with the saying, "An honest days pay for an honest days work. ". A loyal employee seeks to do there best for the greater cause of the organization even if it require some personal hardship ie. a hard days work. A loyal employee thinks, "How can I make things better today." instead of "How can I get Company XYZ to give me more today?".
                            Ok, I see what you mean. I would use the term "invested" though. I think an employee could be loyal to a company without seeking to go above and beyond for the greater good. They may have worked their all their life and be loyal to the company/name, but absolutely opposed to the current vision or direction of the company and thus refuse to do anything outside of their specific job requirements.

An invested employee is in sync with the company's values, beliefs, and ideas of what the future should look like and will do whatever they can to help make that possible.
                            2010 NPC North Star

Comment

An invested employee is in sync with the company's values, beliefs, and ideas of what the future should look like and will do whatever they can to help make that possible.
                              I agree 100% Macho. It's like my Dad used to say, "if you have any complaints about the company you work for, stop cashing their checks". This means if an employee bitches about their "job", maybe they should seek employment elsewhere.
                              2014 USPA Nevada State / Regional Championships - 1,168 total

2014 USPA National Championships - 1,235 total

2014 Village Gym Meet - 1,260 total

2015 USPA Camp Pendleton Meet - 1,235 total

Journal: http://intensemuscle.com/showthread....80#post1112980

Comment

Working...
                              X