Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• children are not being given enough pain meds

http://www.cnn.com/2011/11/03/health...ent/index.html
    Overtraining should be one of the lowest concerns. You should focus on optimal training.
    -John Ceasar

Today's society is already fucked up by the number of kids hooked on prescription pain meds. So now let's start them off younger with their own prescription. Notice the pharmaceutical companys are still going strong in this economy!
    2014 USPA Nevada State / Regional Championships - 1,168 total

2014 USPA National Championships - 1,235 total

2014 Village Gym Meet - 1,260 total

2015 USPA Camp Pendleton Meet - 1,235 total

Journal: http://intensemuscle.com/showthread....80#post1112980

Comment

This was interesting:

This week, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention called prescription drug overdoses an "epidemic," noting that 15,000 people died in 2008 from prescription drug overdoses -- more than died from cocaine and heroin overdoses combined.
      -S
      The Book Has Arrived!
      The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
      2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
      2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

I haven't checked actual crime stats for our city, but I can recall when I started back in 07, we rarely got a call for forged prescriptions. Now, it seems like once a week, at that's within the 40 hours I work a week, not counting 1st, 2nd and 3rd watch. They're not considered "kids" but they're late teens, early 20's mostly looking to score easy narcotics. It's really sad how people turn to RX meds so quickly these days. My wife's mom is one of those people that, if she feels a bit ill, she's gotta see a doctor and get pain meds or something. Kids always were looking to score tbars (xanax) and other party type drugs when I was in high school, now kids are taking some heavy pain killers to school to get that relaxed spaced out feeling. Most kids I'd say have easy access to the meds via parents/relatives. Do I think kids need some pain medication with a broken leg? Yes, if there's pain, a mild narcotic pain killer should be administered. Do I think they should be getting them, say as easily as I could? Absolutely not. I'm confident I could walk in to any Doctor, say I've got a hurt knee/leg/back/arm, and I'd be given an RX for some pain meds. Pain meds are a slippery slope, especially when the Doctor doesn't know the patient. And most kids haven't had enough experience to know what they are and are not allergic to. I'd bet some of those deaths were from severe allergic reactions to the drug.

3rd edit: Damn the more I think about it, the article can be partially right, but still partially wrong on both ends. I think some docs are really tight when it comes to prescribing pain meds, even with some adults, let alone kids. There are legit reasons a kid should have some relief from pain, and aren't getting the help they need.
        Last edited by mark!; 11-04-2011, 03:19 AM.
        …Time is so precious….and you need to ask yourself, what are you going to do today but more importantly, you need to ask yourself – how are you going to do it?

Comment

Originally posted by TLopez View Post
          Today's society is already fucked up by the number of kids hooked on prescription pain meds. So now let's start them off younger with their own prescription.
          I agree, the last thing kids these days need is more medication.
          Use True Nutrition Discount Code YKF124 for 5-10% off of all orders from TRUENUTRITION.com!

My On-Site Log

My Off-Site Log

Comment

As a pediatric RN I can confidently say I think the prescribing of pain and sedative mediations to kids is more than adequate. It seems docs are more afraid of being accused of under dosing, under testing, under prescribing, etc and fear claims of negligence thus they over compensate to cover their butts.

And in our due happy society I don't blame them.
            Journal http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=51093

Comment

Originally posted by Adam2433 View Post
              As a pediatric RN I can confidently say I think the prescribing of pain and sedative mediations to kids is more than adequate. It seems docs are more afraid of being accused of under dosing, under testing, under prescribing, etc and fear claims of negligence thus they over compensate to cover their butts.

And in our due happy society I don't blame them.
              couldn't agree with this more....I'm an ER RN and I see it everyday. I could go on a rant here, but...suffice to say, hospitals have adapted a "fast food" sort of business model in that you will pretty much get what you ask for. Either for fear of claims of negligence, negative press gainey scores, etc. It really is a shame, in the ER some times I feel like a dope dealer

Comment

No no no no... The article got is all wrong.

I am not being given enough pain meds.
                Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
                kind of a douche

Comment

Originally posted by Sammich View Post
                  No no no no... The article got is all wrong.

I am not being given enough pain meds.
                  I agree, you do need more medication.
                  1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
                  2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
                  2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
                  2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
                  2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
                  2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

Truenutrition.com
                  Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Originally posted by Doberman View Post
                    I agree, you do need more medication.
                    If you gave me a lot of pain meds there would be about 1 week where all my posts would be incredibly happy and nice and then zero posts because I'd be dead.
                    Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
                    kind of a douche

Comment

Working...
                    X