Off-Road Vehicles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off-Road Vehicles

Is anyone here into off-road vehicles or modding their trucks / Jeeps to look like it? I Recently got a 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport that is mint. It only had 40K miles on it. I detailed the entire Jeep from engine compartment to paint correction. It looks great factory new.

The problem is I don't like stock Jeeps. Their wheel base is too narrow, the wheels are too small and they sit too low. So I was decided to sell it and get a BMW instead. Unfortunately, there is no way I would get what this vehicle is really worth. So I decided to keep it and turn it into my project vehicle.

So far, this is what I have planned for phase 1:

15x8 4" BS Cragar Soft 8 wheels
    33" x 10.50" AT or Mud tires
    4.5" lift kit - though I'm thinking about a 6.5" kit

Phase 2 will include:

New front and rear bumpers with multiple recovery points
    New exhaust system
    Cold air intake
    side body armor

My new wheels were delivered yesterday and will be installed today. Next up will be the lift kit. It won't be long an I'll be slinging mud.

So much for the Jeep being clean.
    Save 5% off your entire order at TrueProtein.com by using discount code LYP800; 10% if you order 16 lbs or more!

For a protein that can be used anytime, try TeamSkip Blend

You will need a scoop if you don’t have one: Measuring Scoops

I have a classic Bronco that my dad bought when I was 2. He gave it to me my Senior year of HS.

This is a older pic, they are a lot of fun to work on and play in. But they will get very costly
    Central Georgia Strongest Man ~ 2nd Place Novice
    Georgia Strongest Man ~ 5th
    NWGA Muscle Strongman ~ 5th
    2010 Ironfest Challenge ~ 3rd
    2011 NAS Florida Strongman Championship ~ 2nd
    2011 Central GA Strongest Man ~ 8th (Wont Ever happen again)
    2011 Beast of the Bluegrass ~ 5th
    2011 GA Strongest Man ~ 4th
    2011 Emerald Coast Strongest Man ~ 2nd

Use the discount code KEM721 and get 5% off at Trueprotein.com.

Comment

I lifted my toyota tacoma and put on some moto metal wheels with toyo open country mt tires. I'm with you on stock vehicles...

When my tundra is delivered in a day or two, i plan on doing a 3/1 lift, fuel hostage wheels and 35" toyo's again. Also, gonna tint the windows right away, black the chrome in the headlights, black bull bar and some nfab steps and some sort of tonneau cover.

Where are you getting your tires from? When I ordered mine, I went to rimzoneonline.com and was able to get a good deal, and free shipping.
      2005 HOA Natural Classic
      2006 OCB Midwest
      2007 ABA Natural Illinois
      2008 HOA Natural Classic
      NPC Mid-Illinois
      NPC Midwest Open
      NPC Natural Grand Prix
      2012 NGA Clash of the Titans
      USPA Illinois State
      NGA Heart of America
      NGA Clash of the Titans

SAVE 5% ON YOUR NEXT ORDER FROM www.truenutrition.com order - Use Code RHB606

Comment

This is the look I am going for, Just not as big. He is running 40" tires and a 12" lift.

And awsome Bronco by the way. I am selling my 95 eddie bauer bronco now. Awsome machines.
        Attached Files
        2005 HOA Natural Classic
        2006 OCB Midwest
        2007 ABA Natural Illinois
        2008 HOA Natural Classic
        NPC Mid-Illinois
        NPC Midwest Open
        NPC Natural Grand Prix
        2012 NGA Clash of the Titans
        USPA Illinois State
        NGA Heart of America
        NGA Clash of the Titans

SAVE 5% ON YOUR NEXT ORDER FROM www.truenutrition.com order - Use Code RHB606

Comment

Originally posted by fubaseball View Post
          I have a classic Bronco that my dad bought when I was 2. He gave it to me my Senior year of HS.

This is a older pic, they are a lot of fun to work on and play in. But they will get very costly
          Awesome! Yes, this is very costly!

Originally posted by breck View Post
          I lifted my toyota tacoma and put on some moto metal wheels with toyo open country mt tires. I'm with you on stock vehicles...

When my tundra is delivered in a day or two, i plan on doing a 3/1 lift, fuel hostage wheels and 35" toyo's again. Also, gonna tint the windows right away, black the chrome in the headlights, black bull bar and some nfab steps and some sort of tonneau cover.

Where are you getting your tires from? When I ordered mine, I went to rimzoneonline.com and was able to get a good deal, and free shipping.
          Nice! I haven't decided on the tires yet. I would love to run 35", but that takes the cost on a Jeep way up there. I would have to start trimming fenders too. Who knows, I may still decide to go that route. It depends how off-road I want to make it. Around here most of my off-roading will be mud, water, sand and trails. Not many big rocks and hills here.
          Save 5% off your entire order at TrueProtein.com by using discount code LYP800; 10% if you order 16 lbs or more!

Comment

I was real big into it from about age 16-22. Modded out a 93 jeep wrangler pretty heavy,and partially rebuilt an old jeep cj-5. We use to have a saying about jeep in my old 4x4 club.
            J ust
            E mpty
            E very
            P ocket
            Good luck with your build up.

Comment

Not a Jeep fan. Could be that most of the jeep owners are douches. I prefer full size vehicles so the family can go along. More that 2 in a jeep and it's crowded. Big lift looks cool but I wouldn't go more than 4" for stability issues. Those jeeps have a short wheel base and going higher makes it even less stable.

I had an 80 K5 Blazer with 454, 4 speed, 1 ton axles & 39.5" tires. Played with then parted it out cause there wasn't many places close when we lived in NC. Now we are in Colorado. Mountains everywhere. I recently bought an 83 GMC JImmy (Same as a K5). This one has a 350 & 4 speed. Got a smoking deal on a 83 GMC 1 Ton rolling chassis complete with the Dana 60 front and 14 bolt rear. It's going to be my hunting/play toy. 35" maybe 37" tires. Just depends on what kind of deal i can find. has a 4" lift now and don't plan to change it.
              Bryan

Colorado Patriot Guard Rider

Comment

Originally posted by BryanB View Post
                Not a Jeep fan. Could be that most of the jeep owners are douches. I prefer full size vehicles so the family can go along. More that 2 in a jeep and it's crowded. Big lift looks cool but I wouldn't go more than 4" for stability issues. Those jeeps have a short wheel base and going higher makes it even less stable.

I had an 80 K5 Blazer with 454, 4 speed, 1 ton axles & 39.5" tires. Played with then parted it out cause there wasn't many places close when we lived in NC. Now we are in Colorado. Mountains everywhere. I recently bought an 83 GMC JImmy (Same as a K5). This one has a 350 & 4 speed. Got a smoking deal on a 83 GMC 1 Ton rolling chassis complete with the Dana 60 front and 14 bolt rear. It's going to be my hunting/play toy. 35" maybe 37" tires. Just depends on what kind of deal i can find. has a 4" lift now and don't plan to change it.
                I've seen more Blazer douchebags in my line of work than Jeep douchebags, but that may be related to the area we live in. Seems every older model Blazer that gets pulled over has a drug problem.

I bought a Ford Excursion, and even though it most certainly isn't an "off road" vehicle due to the 8500lb GVW, it's done a pretty fine job in the mud for me when I wanted to play. I plan on lifting it a bit and replacing the all terrains for a more aggressive tread soon.
                …Time is so precious….and you need to ask yourself, what are you going to do today but more importantly, you need to ask yourself – how are you going to do it?

Comment

Sounds like a fun project. At my place nothing goes unmodified, truck, cars, boat, kids quads you name it. I am only into fullsize trucks so I have a f350 on 37". Its not cheap when you start breaking stuff and I break a lot of stuff. Never been a fan of jeeps either and those ones have problems if I remember. I think its the crank position sensor is know to go out. Good Luck!

Comment

Originally posted by BryanB View Post

Hmmm... Your post is odd.

Have you ever been in an XJ? I can comfortably fit five if I wanted. Any stability issues are easily overcome with the proper build. It's all about the parts used.

Comment

I had the wheels mounted this morning. They look great. However, I forgot to order center caps. Came home and my boy painted the hubs black. It will probably stay this way until I install the lift.

Comment

Go to NAXJA for Cherokee builds. Lots of photos there.

You can trim the fenders and move the factory flares to easily fit 33's and look stock.

You'll need some cheap bumpstops to prevent the last little bit of travel.

Once the tires are mounted you'll need to adjust the wheel stops in the front just a tad to prevent them from rubbing at full lock.

You'll only need about 3.5 inch lift for 33's so save the money for a quality 3.5 kit and shocks. Or it will ride crappy. If you go over that then you really need a mid ar or Long arm suspension $$$ to pevent rough ride and steering tracking issues.

I'll PM you my FB page with pics of the different jeeps I've built.

Comment

Hey will784,

I won't be happy with a 3.5" lift. The kit below is the one I'm thinking about... this and possibly a control arm drop. I haven't decided if I want to add the expense of long arms or not. My plan really is to wait and see how it rides.

http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_xj_4x.html

I will checkout the FB page. Thanks!

Comment

Check out these guys. They do crazy stuff for jeeps.
                            http://www.aev-conversions.com/

Comment

Working...
                            X