cleaning out/off a lap top

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cleaning out/off a lap top

Ok, for any computer guys here. I got a dell lap top that I want to get everything off of and start over with a clean slate. I don't have the original discs that came with it so the question is.... Can I still clean it yet keep the operating system and what came on it? I just want any useless programs, files, sure there are viruses, etc... Gone and have it back to "out of the box" condition. How do I or can I do that?

Thanks for any help guys.
    Peace.
    Follow my NEW journal if you please:

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=48304

"They say I'm no good...cause I'm so hood, rich folks do not want me around" 50

"You are you. That is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
    Dr. Seuss

I would like to thank all the stupid people of the world. Without you guys I would only be average.

"Tell them bitches get a stick I'm done leading the blind"
    Nicki Minaj

I think you need to do a compete system restore to reset it to factory setting but will need the original disks to make it operatable. Or you could buy a new operating system like windows 7 after the reset.
    I got so sick of all the problems with pc's last month and bought a Mac thougg

Comment

Some newer computers also have a recovery partition that is hidden, it's on the hard drive but you can't see it in Windows Explorer, if you have one of those you can recover from the partition otherwise you need the original disks or a new OS.

You should call Dell, they will either help you recover from the hidden partition or offer to send you new disks for the cost of shipping.
      If it's not hard it's not worth doing...
      http://www.facebook.com/HyperforceStrength <--- Follow Hyperforce on Facebook

2004 National Capital Classic - 2nd Middleweight
      2001 Ottawa Championships - 4th Middleweight
      2000 Ottawa Championships - 12th Middleweight

Comment

Originally posted by Andre Gregoire View Post
        Some newer computers also have a recovery partition that is hidden, it's on the hard drive but you can't see it in Windows Explorer, if you have one of those you can recover from the partition otherwise you need the original disks or a new OS.

You should call Dell, they will either help you recover from the hidden partition or offer to send you new disks for the cost of shipping.
        Rt after I read this I was like... Why the hell didn't I just contact dell?" Lol.

Brain cramp man.

"You are you. That is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
        Dr. Seuss

I would like to thank all the stupid people of the world. Without you guys I would only be average.

Nicki Minaj

Comment

Haha, I have a partition on my Dell XPS, if you bought yours recently or anything within the past 3 years I think, you should have the recovery partition. Dell support, in my experience, have been good the one time I had to use them, they've got good online chat support.

My old Compaq POS however, I'm just gonna take some place and let them clean it and wipe it clean just because I don't wanna deal with it at all. A local computer guy quoted $50 to install a clean copy of Vista.
          …Time is so precious….and you need to ask yourself, what are you going to do today but more importantly, you need to ask yourself – how are you going to do it?

Comment

I actually just used the recovery partition on my old compaq, backed up all my music and pictures on it, about 30 minutes later, it was back to factory settings with all drivers and everything taken care of. Absolutely painless and way too easy.
            …Time is so precious….and you need to ask yourself, what are you going to do today but more importantly, you need to ask yourself – how are you going to do it?

Comment

Thanks mark. I'm really just getting my fiances 2 year old dell cause I got her a new one for Xmas. I don't care about ANY files on it... Just want it in out of box condition. I use my tablet and phone 99% of the time to surf cause when I sit at my desk top.... I tend to go "shit, I've been here 3 hrs?" Lol... When I use her lap top I tend to just do what I want and get off (my lap top got stolen but I was the same way with it) ... If I have it with me I just don't waste the same time as I do on a desk top. I'm gonna talk to dell and if I have any prob at all I'll just bring it to the local place and get a price to clean it. Years ago I took my old one and was quoted like 2 bills so that's what I was thinking and for that...hell ill just get a cheap new one for 3. If the local place will do it for anything like 50 bucks.... I'll prob just let a "pro" do it. Unless dell can make it as simple as you make it sound

Thanks again bro.

Dr. Seuss

Nicki Minaj

Comment

Working...
              X