Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

*October's Featured Member*

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • *October's Featured Member*

    Our Featured Member for the month of October is Andre Gregoire. Thank you so much for taking the time to answer the questions and sharing a bit of yourself with IntenseMuscle.

    1. What is your name? Any nicknames?

    Andre Gregoire sometimes people call me Dre.


    2. Where do you live?

    I live in Ottawa, Canada's Capital.


    3. What do you do for a living or what are you studying?

    Computer Forensics by day and a Fat Fighting Super Hero at night aka Online Diet Coach.


    4. Are you in a relationship? Do you have any kids?

    I am married and have a 3 year old boy that means the world to me.


    5. What three words best describe you?

    Geek, Short, Funny (at least I think so, my wife says otherwise)


    6. What 10 things would someone see when they walked in your door?

    My wife's shoes probably 10 pairs of them…lol

    You would also see her collection of elephants, a bunch of books on nutrition, information security & finance and lots of kids’ toys.


    7. Did you play sports in high school or college? Which one(s)?

    Nope, the only thing even remotely close to a sport has been bodybuilding.


    8. If time and money were not an issue, what would you do with your life?

    I would quit my day job and go back to school. I love learning and I think I would keep studying most of my life but only part time so I have enough time to spend with my family and friends as well as time to relax and workout.

    I would also keep doing the diet coaching thing because I find it very rewarding to help people transform their lives. I work mostly with average people not bodybuilders and the results are so much more dramatic and life changing in that population.


    9. What kind of music will be on when you get into the car.

    Nowadays, I mostly listen to podcasts related to Bodybuilding, InfoSec and Computer Forensics.

    However, I do enjoy alternative music a lot, I listen to heavier stuff at the Gym and I might listen to Country or even New Age Spa music when trying to relax and unwind.


    10. If you COULD erase one year out of your life, which one would it be? Why?

    Although, I am not perfect and I have done my share of mistakes, I would not change anything, my past as made me into the person I am today and I have no regrets.


    11. What bill do you hate to pay the most?

    Income Tax, definitely income tax, I hate that shit.


    12. What will you do with your tax refund? If you get one.

    I never get tax refunds and that's why I hate taxes.


    13. How old were you when you first got your first car & what was it?

    Pretty old actually, 26, until then I had focused on paying down student loans and considered having a car a waste of money since public transportation was pretty good. The car was a used Kia Rio.


    14. What goals are you working to achieve this year?

    -Saving for a bigger house;
    -finishing home renovations;
    -becoming a better father and husband;
    -and finally getting my ass back on stage.


    15. What famous person would you like to have dinner with?

    I don't idealize a lot of people and it was really hard for me to come up with someone but I think I would like to have dinner with the famous Dr. Scott Stevenson or Dante Trudel, that would be really cool.


    16. If you could only eat FIVE foods for the rest of your life, what would you pick?

    Pizza, Ribs, Steak, Chicken Shawarma and Fajitas. I wouldn’t look very good but I would be very happy 


    17. Do you have any special skills or hobbies (i.e., nunchucks, welding, guitar, etc.)?

    Is ADD a special skill?


    18. What is the ONE thing you always get when you go into Sam’s or Costco’s?

    Broccoli.


    19. Who is your favorite cartoon character?

    Shrek, that's one cool mofo. He's got a pretty good upper body but he needs to start doing some serious Squats.


    20. Does someone at the gym really annoy you? why?

    Not really, my training partner and I work out at 4:30am so there aren't many people there and the one's that are there are pretty serious about their training.

    When I used to work out in the evenings, I was annoyed by people chatting on their cell phones DURING their workout and girls that would dress up like if they were going clubbing.


    21. How often are you late for work or school?

    I am late pretty often, ever since I started working out at 4:30am actually. However, if I have a meeting with someone then I respect their time and make a special effort to be on time.


    22. Have you ever had two dates in one night?

    Nope, I have always been quite the respectful gentleman.


    23. What is one thing you could tell us about yourself that we would be shocked to know?

    English isn't my first language... What? You aren’t surprised? lol

    That explains my writing skills or lack thereof; the sad thing is I write even worse in French.


    24. Have you ever found something in your parent’s bedroom that was questionable? If so, what?

    No Comment.


    25. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you live?

    I love Canada and being close to my family and friends so I think I would stay right here.

    We do have pretty extreme weather conditions though. For example this summer it went up to 48 deg. Celsius (118F) and last winter with the wind chill it was -42 deg. Celsius.

    Now that I think about it, I guess I would live in Canada but vacation in Florida every winter, like most Canadians.


    26. How many drinks does it take before you get drunk?

    I am not a big drinker so 4-5 drinks would get it done.


    27. Do you have any tattoos? What and Where?

    Nope but I like tattoos and have been thinking about getting one for several years, I guess I have some sort of fear of commitment. Tattoos are so permanent I wouldn’t want to get something that I don’t absolutely love.


    28. Do you have any piercings? Where?

    None right now but I used to have both ears, an eyebrow and a nipple pierced. I don’t like piercings anymore.


    29. What's the first thing you notice in the opposite sex?

    Have to be honest, definitely the Butt.


    30. What is your favorite lift?

    Deadlift, a raw power movement, nothing quite like it.


    31. What personality traits do you look for in a partner?

    Honest, Faithful, Passionate and Fun.


    32. What magazine do you read most often?

    I haven't bought a paper magazine in several years. I get all my info online. I used to read Flex and Muscle & Fitness from 1994 to 2004 or so.


    33. If you could have any one superpower, what would it be?

    Definitely, Superhuman Intelligence.


    34. What motivates you in life?

    I am motivated by constantly trying to improve every aspect of my life from my relationships to my career to my physique. I enjoy strategizing and trying to make things better for myself and others. I'm really into self-improvement and it's important for me to be a good role model for my son and others around me.


    35. Graduating GPA from high school?

    I had grades in the 80-90% range so somewhere around 4.0 GPA I guess.


    36. If you died today, would your affairs be in order?

    Not completely in order, but my wife and son would do alright. I guess this needs improvement.


    37. If you had to give up one electronic gadget, what would it be?

    I could live without my BlackBerry but I could never live without my MP3 player, I love podcasts too much.


    38. Last book you read?

    Personal Finance for Canadians for Dummies


    39. What got you motivated to start lifting?

    I was 15 years old, short, 125lbs and I was changing high schools. The new school had a really bad reputation and I wasn’t one to make friends very easily.

    I started lifting about a month before school started, figured that would be long enough to get me huge and not get my ass kicked on the first day of school, 17 years later, I am still at it but still not huge and not much taller either


    40. Why do you come to IntenseMuscle.com everyday?

    I come here because it’s entertaining. Most of the members here are older and more respectful then on other boards; they have lots of training experience and enjoy helping others.

    I also like that posts often have a humorous twist which makes things more interesting and often has me laughing out loud.

    It's an online community where I feel at home and I know that there are others just like me. In everyday life, our lifestyle doesn’t always “fit in” so it's nice to know we are not alone.
    2014 Greater Gulf States 2nd WPD Class B
    2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW
    2009 Houston Pro/Am 1st LHW & Overall (Am)
    2008 Jr. Nationals 5th LHW
    2007 Greater Gulf States 1st LHW
    2007 LA Championships 1st LHW & Overall

  • #2
    I've always wondered, how do you handle the winters up there? Stay inside as much as possible?
    2014 Greater Gulf States 2nd WPD Class B
    2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW
    2009 Houston Pro/Am 1st LHW & Overall (Am)
    2008 Jr. Nationals 5th LHW
    2007 Greater Gulf States 1st LHW
    2007 LA Championships 1st LHW & Overall

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by phoenix13 View Post
      I've always wondered, how do you handle the winters up there? Stay inside as much as possible?
      I try to stay inside as much as possible and when I go out I wear multiple layers: 2 pairs of socks, 2 pairs of pants, 2 jackets, etc... lol

      Some people love it and winter sports like Hockey, Skating, Skying, Tobogganing are all very popular.

      Now that I have a kid, I need to get used to staying out there longer because he just loves being outside.
      If it's not hard it's not worth doing...
      http://www.facebook.com/HyperforceStrength <--- Follow Hyperforce on Facebook

      2004 National Capital Classic - 2nd Middleweight
      2001 Ottawa Championships - 4th Middleweight
      2000 Ottawa Championships - 12th Middleweight

      Comment


      • #4
        #23 You write well in English. What made me wonder if French was your first language was your use of prepositions (and of course, you're Canadian ). It's a simple mistake I am guilty of as well so it struck me.


        If you could have Superhuman Intelligence, how would you like to apply it? (I guess the sky's the limit on that one.)
        2014 Greater Gulf States 2nd WPD Class B
        2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW
        2009 Houston Pro/Am 1st LHW & Overall (Am)
        2008 Jr. Nationals 5th LHW
        2007 Greater Gulf States 1st LHW
        2007 LA Championships 1st LHW & Overall

        Comment


        • #5
          Thanks for sharing. Always interesting learning more about other members...

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by phoenix13 View Post

            38. Last book you read?

            Personal Finance for Canadians for Dummies


            .
            A little redundant, aye?


            jk, good interview, buddy.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by phoenix13 View Post
              ...If you could have Superhuman Intelligence, how would you like to apply it? (I guess the sky's the limit on that one.)
              That's a tough question, I would probably start by solving heart disease, cancer and world hunger then work on fixing this longevity thing so that humans can finally be immortal.

              In all seriousness, I would probably use it to win epic Internet forum battles against Lyle McDonald. lol

              Originally posted by Pheedno View Post
              A little redundant, aye?
              Uhhh? I don't get it. What do you mean, aye?

              In all seriousness it's a great book talking about how to get a second mortgage on your Igloo, how to choose the best transportation insurance for your dog sled or polar bear, how to create a dot com business selling maple syrop and maple leaf toques, etc...

              The "aye" thing is like a verbal question mark we make it very clear that we are asking a question. You would think that it would be more common in French Canadians because some have trouble showing intonation in English so they use the "aye" to show that it's a question. Oddly enough I hear it more often from English guys in western Canada. Guys like Ron Partlow.

              Check out his podcast, you will see what I mean: http://canadianbodybuildingradio.com...d-mark-richman
              If it's not hard it's not worth doing...
              http://www.facebook.com/HyperforceStrength <--- Follow Hyperforce on Facebook

              2004 National Capital Classic - 2nd Middleweight
              2001 Ottawa Championships - 4th Middleweight
              2000 Ottawa Championships - 12th Middleweight

              Comment


              • #8
                Andre, what types of music are popular where you live? Does mainstream American music (as well as tv and film) have a heavy influence on "entertainment" in Canada?
                2014 Greater Gulf States 2nd WPD Class B
                2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW
                2009 Houston Pro/Am 1st LHW & Overall (Am)
                2008 Jr. Nationals 5th LHW
                2007 Greater Gulf States 1st LHW
                2007 LA Championships 1st LHW & Overall

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Andre Gregoire View Post
                  In all seriousness, I would probably use it to win epic Internet forum battles against Lyle McDonald. lol

                  Did you ever look at Lyle's facebook page? This is from his "info":

                  About Lyle I think that this place is a slightly (emphasis: slightly) less retarded version of MySpace. I use it primarily to keep myself amused and help out my dogs. Anybody who takes this bullshit seriously is an idiot.

                  And this isn't a bio so much as an explanation. Some folks who are asking me to friend them seem to be a bit confused. I'm assuming that if you ask me to friend you, you know something about me.

                  And that something should be that I tend to be an obnoxious smartass with a strange sense of humor. I'm not everyone's cup of tea which is fine; anybody that sensntive to words on a screen isn't someone I care to associate with, And if you can't handle that, don't bother friending me.

                  It's really that simple. Or it should be.

                  I don't do friendships with 'conditions'. If you disallow me from making comments on your wall, you WILL be blocked. You either get all of me or none of me. If I can't comment on your posts, you don't get to read anything I say here.

                  Similarly, if I get snarky on your wall, don't waste your time bitching at me in messages or chat or whatever. I'll just delete the message, close the chat window and block you.

                  If you have a problem with me, just unfriend me. Nobody is making you read my stuff except yourself via your own voluntary choice. So don't pin your own inadequacies on me b/c you're too weak to unfriend me.

                  It's like my site and articles, if you don't like what I have to say, don't fucking read it. But don't waste your time trying to explain or talk to me or bitch at me. I don't give a shit.

                  And don't try to start up chats with me with "Can I ask you a question?" The answer is always no and the fastest way to piss me off is to repeatedly try to start chats with me when I ignore you. Do it more than once and you get blocked.

                  Other things that piss me off:
                  Sending me suggestions of people to friend.
                  Sending me suggestions of events or some bullshit to 'like'.
                  Anything farmville or the other retarded games here.

                  Do NOT do any of this.

                  I'm also not here to do free customer support or answer nutrition or training questions. You don't work for free and neither do I. And you can't afford me.

                  For that join the support forum at forums.lylemcdonald.com if you have a question. Then I can ignore you over there instead of here.

                  And if the above is unclear, read it two or three more times until it sinks in. I tend to be very literal in my words, what I wrote above means what it says. Don't like it, unfriend me now. Bitch at me about what an asshole I am and you're blocked. Not joking.


                  Sounds like a normal, well adjusted person from that.
                  PM me to discuss website/video/dvd etc. related work.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by phoenix13 View Post
                    Andre, what types of music are popular where you live? Does mainstream American music (as well as tv and film) have a heavy influence on "entertainment" in Canada?
                    95% of popular music here is the same as in the US, same for movies and TV programming. Often when Americans visit Canada they will tell me they are surprised by how similar it is to the States.

                    There really isn't that much difference.
                    Last edited by Andre Gregoire; 10-13-2011, 12:59 PM.
                    If it's not hard it's not worth doing...
                    http://www.facebook.com/HyperforceStrength <--- Follow Hyperforce on Facebook

                    2004 National Capital Classic - 2nd Middleweight
                    2001 Ottawa Championships - 4th Middleweight
                    2000 Ottawa Championships - 12th Middleweight

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by RedSkull View Post
                      Did you ever look at Lyle's facebook page? This is from his "info":

                      About Lyle I think that this place is a slightly (emphasis: slightly) less retarded version of MySpace. I use it primarily to keep myself amused and help out my dogs. Anybody who takes this bullshit seriously is an idiot.

                      And this isn't a bio so much as an explanation. Some folks who are asking me to friend them seem to be a bit confused. I'm assuming that if you ask me to friend you, you know something about me.

                      And that something should be that I tend to be an obnoxious smartass with a strange sense of humor. I'm not everyone's cup of tea which is fine; anybody that sensntive to words on a screen isn't someone I care to associate with, And if you can't handle that, don't bother friending me.

                      It's really that simple. Or it should be.

                      I don't do friendships with 'conditions'. If you disallow me from making comments on your wall, you WILL be blocked. You either get all of me or none of me. If I can't comment on your posts, you don't get to read anything I say here.

                      Similarly, if I get snarky on your wall, don't waste your time bitching at me in messages or chat or whatever. I'll just delete the message, close the chat window and block you.

                      If you have a problem with me, just unfriend me. Nobody is making you read my stuff except yourself via your own voluntary choice. So don't pin your own inadequacies on me b/c you're too weak to unfriend me.

                      It's like my site and articles, if you don't like what I have to say, don't fucking read it. But don't waste your time trying to explain or talk to me or bitch at me. I don't give a shit.

                      And don't try to start up chats with me with "Can I ask you a question?" The answer is always no and the fastest way to piss me off is to repeatedly try to start chats with me when I ignore you. Do it more than once and you get blocked.

                      Other things that piss me off:
                      Sending me suggestions of people to friend.
                      Sending me suggestions of events or some bullshit to 'like'.
                      Anything farmville or the other retarded games here.

                      Do NOT do any of this.

                      I'm also not here to do free customer support or answer nutrition or training questions. You don't work for free and neither do I. And you can't afford me.

                      For that join the support forum at forums.lylemcdonald.com if you have a question. Then I can ignore you over there instead of here.

                      And if the above is unclear, read it two or three more times until it sinks in. I tend to be very literal in my words, what I wrote above means what it says. Don't like it, unfriend me now. Bitch at me about what an asshole I am and you're blocked. Not joking.


                      Sounds like a normal, well adjusted person from that.
                      I have read most of Lyle's books and many of his articles. I think his OCD is great when it comes to referencing books like the Keto Diet with hundreds of scientific references. He's a smart man but a f*cking huge asshole.

                      I added him on facebook a while back and blocked him when he started cracking jokes about the Casey Anthony case and that if she had eaten her baby she would have been Paleo, then he made like 10 posts about eating babies.

                      The guy is fucked in the head big time.
                      If it's not hard it's not worth doing...
                      http://www.facebook.com/HyperforceStrength <--- Follow Hyperforce on Facebook

                      2004 National Capital Classic - 2nd Middleweight
                      2001 Ottawa Championships - 4th Middleweight
                      2000 Ottawa Championships - 12th Middleweight

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Andre Gregoire View Post
                        I have read most of Lyle's books and many of his articles. I think his OCD is great when it comes to referencing books like the Keto Diet with hundreds of scientific references. He's a smart man but a f*cking huge asshole.

                        I added him on facebook a while back and blocked him when he started cracking jokes about the Casey Anthony case and that if she had eaten her baby she would have been Paleo, then he made like 10 posts about eating babies.

                        The guy is fucked in the head big time.
                        Agree completely. He also has an incredible ego for someone who has not achieved much, at all, in either bodybuilding or powerlifting. I love his analyses of various training/diet methodologies, but he has some serious issues.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          If you think about it, doesn't someone like him show how little all the intricies of training/nutrition really matter? lol In his own way he really makes a case for sticking to the basics...
                          PM me to discuss website/video/dvd etc. related work.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by RedSkull View Post
                            If you think about it, doesn't someone like him show how little all the intricies of training/nutrition really matter? lol In his own way he really makes a case for sticking to the basics...
                            I think it was you who said something about how Borge Fagerli's Myo-Reps piece is way funnier if read as a parody/caricature of the overanalysis many people do with their training? That was hilarious.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by RedSkull View Post
                              If you think about it, doesn't someone like him show how little all the intricies of training/nutrition really matter? lol In his own way he really makes a case for sticking to the basics...
                              Yeah, I somewhat agree. Obviously doing all the research that he has done has not lead to an impressive physique or impressive strength gains.

                              I think that some details matter but most don't matter significantly.

                              I don't know why Lyle has such a shitty physique, must be a combo of shitty genetics, bad work ethic, inability to be intense, inconsistent eating, having a self-defeating attitude, etc...

                              The guy is so negative I think his attitude is largely responsible for his physique, he's always saying that anyone with a decent physique is on gear and in his mind that is the only possible explanation.
                              If it's not hard it's not worth doing...
                              http://www.facebook.com/HyperforceStrength <--- Follow Hyperforce on Facebook

                              2004 National Capital Classic - 2nd Middleweight
                              2001 Ottawa Championships - 4th Middleweight
                              2000 Ottawa Championships - 12th Middleweight

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X