MS Office Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MS Office Help

I am looking at a way of selecting predetermined responses to be inserted into a word document, from either another word doc, or an excel or access doc/db. I have no idea how to do it. It has to be relatively easy to do (its a work thing, to make our correspondence we send to customers uniform and simple to understand).

Currently we have a tick sheet that is standard, but extra info might be needed to be entered so we usually just write in what we want the client to do, and of course, everyone is different, write different things, and some with very POOR handwriting.

We want to standardize everything, all responses possible for any given situation. Say there may be 5 possible responses for section A, or 7 for section B, and so on. ONly 1 per section would be selectable and inserted into the document.

Anyone have a starting point for me? Will I need to (re)learn VBA?
    Lets get serious. Lets get ugly. Beat the logbook - Gollum
    BEAT YOUR FREAKING LOGBOOK! That's what you should be worrying about - DC

It has everything to do with what you put in your mouth. Stop putting unhealthy shit in your mouth - trucelt

Save 5% at TrueProtein.com - snc768

This would be a questionnaire they answer electronically?

Edit: Or is this something your price office will answer based on the clients needs and then send them the finished document?
    Last edited by DOHCrazy; 09-27-2011, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Are you looking for something like having drop down lists in excel where predetermined responses could be selcted by those completing the forms?
      Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
      2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
      2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCrazy View Post
        This would be a questionnaire they answer electronically?

Edit: Or is this something your price office will answer based on the clients needs and then send them the finished document?
        Its kind of like what Mentalflex just said below...

Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
        Are you looking for something like having drop down lists in excel where predetermined responses could be selcted by those completing the forms?
        yes, something along those lines. After thinking about it more it makes sense to do it in Excel (I think). Each time we work on a file, and we have to send correspondence for any number of issues, we can select 1 or more items per section. Each document has 7 sections, with different items per.

I would assume that I would make 2 sheets...1 called data say, which would be the information we want to insert. The other would be the main worksheet with the dropdown lists? Is that the basic way to do it?

I really just need a starting position.

Thanks guys

It has everything to do with what you put in your mouth. Stop putting unhealthy shit in your mouth - trucelt

Comment

So it sounds like it's an internal only doc that is used to generate a report, is that correct? I would use the form feature in vba in excel and save the data to a sheet or even a text file that can be imported to another doc. Another option is an HTML doc but that might be too much.

Comment

Here are the steps I use to create drop down lists:
            1. Create a list of valid entries for the drop-down list, type the entries in a single column or row without blank cells.
            For example:
            Division
            1 Sales
            2 Finance
            3 R&D
            4 MIS

You may want to sort the data in the order that you want it to appear in the drop-down list.

If you want to use another worksheet, type the list on that worksheet, and then define a name (name: A word or string of characters that represents a cell, range of cells, formula, or constant value. Use easy-to-understand names, such as Products, to refer to hard to understand ranges, such as Sales!C20:C30.) for the list.

**How to define a name

Select the cell, range of cells, or nonadjacent selections (nonadjacent selection: A selection of two or more cells or ranges that don't touch each other. When plotting nonadjacent selections in a chart, make sure that the combined selections form a rectangular shape.) that you want to name.

Click the Name box at the left end of the formula bar (formula bar: A bar at the top of the Excel window that you use to enter or edit values or formulas in cells or charts. Displays the constant value or formula stored in the active cell.). Or you can right click and select name a range from the options.

Type the name for the cells, for example, ValidDepts.
            Press ENTER.
            **Note: You cannot name a cell while you are changing the contents of the cell.

2. Select the cell where you want the drop-down list.

3. On the Data tab, in the Data Tools group, click Data Validation.

The Data Validation dialog box is displayed.

Click the Settings tab.

In the Allow box, click List.

To specify the location of the list of valid entries, do one of the following:
            A) If the list is in the current worksheet, enter a reference to your list in the Source box (you should be able to highlight the list).
            B) If the list is on a different worksheet, enter the name that you defined for your list in the Source box.

In both cases, make sure that the reference or name is preceded with an equal sign (=). For example, enter =ValidDepts.

Make sure that the In-cell drop-down check box is selected.

To specify whether the cell can be left blank, select or clear the Ignore blank check box.

Optionally, display an input message when the cell is clicked.

How to display an input message

Click the Input Message tab.
            Make sure that the Show input message when cell is selected check box is selected.
            Type the title and text for the message (up to 225 characters).

Does this help any?
            Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
            2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
            2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Hmm, both those ideas are pretty good, but it seems like a lot more work than I had planned. (i only get a bit of time each day/week to work on this). No hurry on it though, we are doing a planned computer refresh sometime by next spring. So not sure what ver of office I will be doing this in.

Sad to say, my experience with Excel has gone away. I will have to play around with what info you have given me Mentalflex and see what I can come up with.

I am not limited to excel, it would probably be better if I can do this in Word, as most employees here are more familiar with it and excel scares them lol.

DirtyJohnson, yes its an internal doc which we would send correspondence to our customers. Its for our Change of Name dept, just something to simplify our internal processes here, and we are not involving our IT dept. (government is a pain in the ass LOL)

Comment

This might sound stupid, but why not just have two word documents, one with the document to be sent,fully laid out including blank spaces where the language could change. The second would be all the possible responses for each section organized on a word document which everyone has a copy of. Then they can just cut and paste the appropriate language into the blank field. It's not as fancy as drop down menus with formulas and computer mumbo-jumbo, but it is 100% idiot-proof, something I am finding to be worth it's weight in gold when dealing with other people, haha.
                2010 NPC North Star

Comment

Originally posted by Macho Man View Post
                  This might sound stupid, but why not just have two word documents, one with the document to be sent,fully laid out including blank spaces where the language could change. The second would be all the possible responses for each section organized on a word document which everyone has a copy of. Then they can just cut and paste the appropriate language into the blank field. It's not as fancy as drop down menus with formulas and computer mumbo-jumbo, but it is 100% idiot-proof, something I am finding to be worth it's weight in gold when dealing with other people, haha.
                  Not stupid, it was something my mgr and I talked about. Its the easy way to do it, but, it would be nice to have it all in one document. I am looking at various ways of doing this, hey, its better than working haha. No, seriously though, its a chance for me to learn something new, so if I end up with your suggestion, at least I can say I tried a few other ways.

Like I said earlier, I have a lot of time to do this, and right now I am just looking at all my options and seeing whats feasible, without being complicated. Truth be told, even with your idea, some of the people I work with would fuck it up. It has to be streamlined and easy to use...gotta do things for the dumbest denominator lol. And yes, some people here don't even know how to copy/paste!

Comment

Another thing to check into is the program GumNotes. It allows you to add a "sticky note" to any type of program or internet page that you attach it to, which will pop up every time you open that program/page. I believe you can even share those notes with other people that have GumNotes. It really removes my worry when trying to explain a document to someone else, as the directions automatically pop up. It is also great for leaving myself notes on where I was if I have to switch to another task.
                    2010 NPC North Star

Comment

Sounds like this might help you. Build an Automatic Document Template for Word

Comment

Working...
                      X